This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Promos

RymRym
edited July 2006 in GeekNights
The much anticipated and long awaited promos are finally available. All may rejoice.

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Awesome.

Like the blus brothers one bettter.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Outstanding. I'll play the "promos suck" promo on my show this Friday. I think that version really shows the audience what you're about. The other ones are good too.
  • edited July 2006
    The problem with promos is that they only reach people that are familiar with podcasting--they're listening to a podcast already. I suggest we Rym and Scott make full 8.5x11" posters for conventions and other geeky places, in addition to banners and such for websites.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I will ask permission to post an ad of you guys when you have it up.
  • Ha! Those are hilarious. I especially like the Blues Brothers one. I'll probably have to use it in an away message or summat.
  • I agree with Thaed, the promos suck promo is a much better representation of what the show's like.
  • That "Promos Suck" promo was awesome. It actually sounded like what the show is so someone could actually guage whether they'd like the real show or not.
    All the other ones I honestly didn't care for. They sounded like every other scripted ad that every other podcast put together. Then again, that's just my opinion and if it gets more listers then more power to your guys.
  • Although I know it's not your favorite, the "Promos Suck" promo was really the best. The "Spanish Inquisition" promo was painful; don't ever try that again.
  • The promos suck was the best promo, and it is the one you should use.
  • The only thing that's wrong with the promos suck promo is that it sounds fake, the tone of voice is not natural, and the content itself was painful.
  • I think the "Promos Suck" promo does the best job at capturing the essence of your show. They are all good though.

I know you guys don't like accepting money, but how about if we took up a collection to take out small print ads in some of the mainstream magazines or fanzines that cater to geeks and/or your topics? It would address the problem about reaching non podcast listeners. I'm sure ads in fanzines wouldn't cost too much but would reach many potential listeners. More bang for the buck, so to speak.
  • Interesting... How much to ads in fanzines cost? I've never really been in the 'zine loop, so I wouldn't even know which ones to go for. I only know about "real" magazines like Wizard, Newtype, etc. I don't think we want to go for those.
  • I could get you an ad on my old campus newspaper.
  • What about just taking snips from old shows? That seems like it might work best. That way it's absolutely not scripted and you get across a feeling of what the show is like since, well, it's straight from actual shows.

Do the thing where you say ,"This day is where we talk about blah" and then have some great five second thing from one of those shows. Then just go down the line of days and do it for each one.

Perhaps you could start a thread to get favorite quotes from your listeners for each day so you know what the people want to hear / think is a good representation of your shows.

Just a thought.
  • edited July 2006
    Quotes of the top of the head;
    "I'm The Juggernaut, Bitch!"
    "...Ubuntu" "Ooo-booon-too" "Ooo-BOOON-too" "Ooo-boooon-tu"
    "I'm not saying 100% of the time, but most of the time I'm in the shower..." -- Not sure of the quote, but you'd have to have the masturbation in it someplace...
    and some thing with Scott saying that everybody is stupid.

Edit: 'Juggernuaght'... Sshhh... its 1am :P
    Post edited by deaf-mute on
  • edited July 2006
    There's a quote that I miss deeply....."I have a vision!"
  • I like the promos are stupid one because it shows your personalities. But it doesn't say what you guys are about.

The original promo is informative but too long.

Useing quotes from the show would be great if they are accessable. If they're just random catch phrases, then it would just be annoying to people who aren't "in".
  • Holy crap, I just got back from Connecticon and these GeekNights fliers blow. ClassicBri, finish the damn logo already!
  • What are you talking about? I think they're fairly awesome myself.
  • edited July 2006
    I don't think they get the awesomeness of GeekNights across. If I found one I'd probably check the website out, but I tend to ignore fliers in general. And if they had an official logo I think they'd look sexier.

Edit: By the way, you asshats, you never said you wouldn't go to Sunday at Connecticon. A friend and I wandered around the whole con looking for you guys.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I'm pretty sure we said we were only going Saturday. In the future if anyone is going to a con we are also going to, make sure you contact us so we can be sure to hook up.
  • To a trained ear the promos suck promo sounds fake.
  • To my untrained ear it sounds fine. But then again, I am deaf, blind and syphilis-addled, so what do I know?

I swear that's the last time I use HTML so indiscriminately.
  • We apologized for the font rape.
  • Yes, the Promos are Stupid was by far the best. It did sound a bit fake, but in a cute sort of way. And it was funny! "In a world where anime and manga are blah buh blah blah, GEEK NIGHTS GEEK NIGHTS!" Hehe.
  • edited July 2006
    Maybe you should do an underwear pervert promo.
  • edited July 2007
    I'd have to say your Promos Suck promo is your best one followed distantly by the Blues Brothers version.

They beat the vast majority of podcast promos out there . . . The only one I like better that comes to mind is Dave and Joel's Fist of the North Star promo.
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • The scariest thing about promos is how seriously people out there take them.  I submit to you the following one-act play.

I played your promo on my show!
    Great.
    So..
    So what?
    So when are you going to play mine?
    You have  to play it.  I played yours!
    Why are you so mean to me!?!  We podcasters have to STICK TOGETHER!
    Hey, it's just that, well, your show is pretty terrible.  We don't want to appear to endorse it in any wa...
    FUCK YOU!  YOUR SHOW SUCKS ANYWAY!  I DON'T NEED YOU!  I'LL MAKE SURE MY FRIENDS DON'T PLAY YOUR PROMOS EVER AGAIN!  SHITCOCK!

fin

• Rym, that is an entirely too realistic of most people in creative/semicreative projects online.
    I used to do and review sprite comics in my younger days. 90% of people would throw a tantrum if I said even one bad thing about their comics. I've learned to laugh at morons like that.