This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hideo Kojima + Scrym = dislike?

GeoGeo
edited July 2008 in Flamewars
I noticed that you don't really like Hideo Kojima and his work, so I wanna know why.

Comments

• I think his narratives are rambling and incoherent. The man needs an editor. Simple as that.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2008
    I think his narratives are rambling and incoherent. The man needs an editor. Simple as that.
    Really? I beg to differ. I may come off as a Kojima maniac (go figure) but he's probably one of the best writers for video games as of late.

One more question though, have you ever played through MGS1, cause I thought you said you only played through the beginning of it for only a little while or did I mishear it. If that isn't the case then beat the game and maybe your opinions about Kojima's work may change.

Revolver Ocelot ftw!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I may come off as a Kojima maniac (go figure) but he probably one of the best writers for video games as of late.
    Exactly, best writer "for video games". What good writers are writing video games? Anybody? The best I can think of is Phoenix Wright. While it's nothing to sneeze at, it's pretty sad to say the best written video game I have played is Phoenix Wright. Kojima is in a valedictorian of remedial school situation.

Why don't they get one of the two Neils to write a video game?
  • Wait a tick. Shiroh Maekawa wrote for Sonic Adventure 2, and that was a great game. But then again I'm slightly bias.
  • Shiroh Maekawa wrote for Sonic Adventure 2
    That game had a story?
  • Shiroh Maekawa wrote for Sonic Adventure 2
    That game had a story?
    Yeah, seriously. "Dr. Robotnik stole the chaos emeralds and captured the animals, oh noes" is not a story. Neither is "omg teh Koopaz stole teh princess in another castle!"

If you're looking for good writing in video games, you have to look at old adventure games. We're talking about Lucas Arts action like Monkey Island. We're talking about Quest for Glory. I submit that the best written video game of all time is Earthbound(Mother 2). And even those, while pinnacles of video game writing, are only above average when compared to non video game writing.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2008
    Shiroh Maekawa wrote for Sonic Adventure 2
    That game had a story?
    Yeah, seriously. "Dr. Robotnik stole the chaos emeralds and captured the animals, oh noes" is not a story. Neither is "omg teh Koopaz stole teh princess in another castle!"

If you're looking for good writing in video games, you have to look at old adventure games. We're talking about Lucas Arts action like Monkey Island. We're talking about Quest for Glory. I submit that the best written video game of all time is Earthbound(Mother 2). And even those, while pinnacles of video game writing, are only above average when compared to non video game writing.
    I cannot argue with you that Earthbound has an absolutely spectacular and truly original plot, neither can I argue that those other games had great plots either. All I'm saying is that if you haven't played the MGS series, I recommend you give those games a chance because they have pretty good plots in my opinion, and I'd think you'd enjoy it. If you show any interest at all in the MGS series (I won't count on that though) pick up the MGS trilogy box set, it's only 30 bucks which is a damn good value I must say. If you don't have a PS2, then forget my suggestion.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I cannot argue with you that Earthbound has an absolutely spectacular and truly original plot, neither can I argue that those other games had great plots either. All I'm saying is that if you haven't played the MGS series, i recommend you give it a chance because it has a pretty good plot in my opinion, and I'd think you'd enjoy it. If you show any interest at all in the MGS series (i won't count on that though) pick up the MGS trilogy box set, it's only 30 bucks which is a damn good value I must say.
    Scott Johnson, don't you have the GameCube MGS discs? Want to hook us up?

Also, how goes that Paper Mario?
  • Yes, I have twin snakes.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2008
    Yes, I have twin snakes.
    In my opinion, Silicon Knights did a really good job of remaking the original MGS for GCN users. I also think that out of all remakes of games, that one is of my favorite because they don't get carried away (except for a few things but then again, it's not a huge issue) so much that they make the game they're remaking unrecognizable.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • except for a few things
    Like when Snake did a flip and then kicked a missile off course.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2008
    except for a few things
    Like when Snake did a flip and then kicked a missile off course.
    Yeah, but while that's kinda dumb, it doesn't bother me as much cause I still think it's one of the better remakes out there.
    Post edited by Geo on