This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Another nail in the autism/vacine coffin?

Comments

• As long as there are mommy's going off their "gut feelings", there will always be an autism/vaccine connection.
  • I'm pretty sure the coffin was already sealed with super-glue, many nails, a couple screws, and large amounts of duct tape. Tiktaalik was a "nail in the coffin" too, and I don't see any creationists switching over because that was the one more bit of evidence they needed to push them over the edge.
  • There never was a coffin. We never needed any nails. No one ever took the "link" seriously except idiots. ^_~
  • Yeah I was going to say that at this point, isn't the coffin just made out of nails?
  • The nail are made out of papermache'.
  • It's not a coffin, it's an urn. But of course, the urn is empty. It's just symbolic. The ashes blew away long long ago.
  • Still... the only thing keeping these wackos going is that we haven't identified the cause. I'll be glad when this happens since they'll be seen as lunatics at that point. Don't underestimate the media's sympathy for these idiots. As long as the cause remains a mystery, the media loves to play on our fears.
  • Wow, guys. I thought I was taking the metaphor too far.
  • edited July 2008
    Still... the only thing keeping these wackos going is that we haven't identified the cause.
    If you read any of the writings of Dr. Steven Novella at Science Based Medicine or his blog Neurologica you will realize that these people don't really care about preventing autism, but are really just anti-vaccination.

Even if we do find the cause of autism (most likely it's genetic), I doubt these anti-vaccination groups will go away.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Even if we do find the cause of autism (most likely it's genetic), I doubt these anti-vaccination groups will go away.
    We'll just have to invent a one-way time machine for those groups and send them to their heaven, the middle ages.
  • edited July 2008
    As long as there are mommy's going off their "gut feelings", there will always be an autism/vaccine connection.
    Truthiness lives on in the heart of every real American! We real Americans must deny every scientific finding as the scientists are working with both the bear and dinosaur menaces to eat and/or rape our children! Vaccines and immunizations are their evil first step!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Even if we do find the cause of autism (most likely it's genetic), I doubt these anti-vaccination groups will go away.
    We'll just have to invent a one-way time machine for those groups and send them to their heaven, the middle ages.
    The thing is, if we have one now, that means in the future people will probably send other foolish people back to us in the present.
  • The thing is, if we have one now, that means in the future people will probably send other foolish people back to us in the present.
    Ah, but that isn't happening. So the logical conclusion would be that there are no more foolish/stupid people by then! Ah the future, it's so grand and mysterious in its ways. I wonder if I'll eat bread tomorrow...