This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Roz Savage, to be the First women across the Pacific

I just wanted to know if anyone else here is following this amazing women as she attempts to be the first women to row solo across the Pacific.
This is here home page: Roz Savage
She has a Podcast with Leo Laporte: Roz Rows the Pacific on a satellite phone in the middle of the ocean.
So long story short, she's doing this mostly because she wants to raise enviromental awareness, but also a journay help inpisre other people to raise to these kind of challenges. I found her to be inspiring enough for me to a very difficult physical challenge for me. I pretty much want to spread the word about this amazing women and she is worth checking out.

Comments

• That's really amazing.

I'd love to know how much of her progress is due to her, and how much is due to wind, currents, etc.
  • I listen to the podcast on and off.
  • I'd love to know how much of her progress is due to her, and how much is due to wind, currents, etc.
    If anything, the wind and currents are working against her. I remember hearing that it took here many many tries just to get past the Golden Gate Bridge, but she just kept rowing until she made it.
  • edited July 2008
    If anything, the wind and currents are working against her. I remember hearing that it took here many many tries just to get past the Golden Gate Bridge, but she just kept rowing until she made it.
    That may be true for the short term. After all, there's only one way to get past the Golden Gate Bridge.

But think about it. She must have chosen a route with favorable winds and currents. How fast can she row? 3 knots an hour? There is no way that she could overcome a consistent moderate wind or current, especially when you realize that she can't row all day.

Look at the evidence. Why didn't she go right to Hawaii from San Francisco? Why did she make a long detour down the coast of California? When you look at the currents, it all makes sense.

What makes this feat so impressive is that it's a great combination of both physical and scientific talent.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • What makes this feat so impressive is that it's a great combination of physical talent with scientific talent.
    You should look at the boat.
  • edited July 2008
    I did. That's what made me wonder about the wind and currents in the first place. There is no way that one person can row that boat with any speed.

It definitely is a rowboat for geeks!
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • So since this is the "first womAn TO ROW across the Pacific," I'm assuming that means that men have done this before. I can understand flying around the world or across the Pacific solo, but rowing? I mean why, are you really that bored? Can't you just go racing like a normal person?
  • edited July 2008
    So since this is the "first womAn TO ROW across the Pacific," I'm assuming that means that men have done this before. I can understand flying around the world or across the Pacific solo, but rowing? I mean why, are you really that bored? Can't you just go racing like a normal person?
    Did, you even read my post? You would understand why is you read my post and here site.
    I did. That's what made me wonder about the wind and currents in the first place. There is no way that one person can row that boat with any speed.
    It definitely is a rowboat for geeks!
    She is very connected to the outside world via her satellite phone that is also a modem so she can connect the internet, at like 3 kbs. It takes her like 3 hours to upload a 40 sec video.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • It takes her like 3 hours to upload a 40 sec video.
    She's got time.