This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I suck

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
I've missed a couple of shows lately, so I'm not sure if it's been addressed... but what is the mysterious "I suck" that frequently appears at the bottom of forumites' posts? At first I wondered if it were some implementation of that fabled smart filter.

Comments

• Wow, I'm surprised people haven't figured this out yet. I thought it was obvious, I guess not.

There is a forum user named Myself. He has figured out a way to exploit the forum avatar functionality. As a result, his avatar is a tall rectangle, rather than a square. Thus, the top part of his avatar intrudes into the bottom of the post above his. If Myself makes a post directly after your post, the words "I Suck" will be at the bottom left of your post.

If Myself were smarter, he could have actually put a normal square image at the bottom of his tall rectangle Avatar. That would have fooled even me for a short time.
  • edited July 2008
    It's the result of myself's (member not me) tomfoolery with the avatars. If you notice all the posts that have them, myself is the next person that made the next post.

At first I wondered about it. I double checked my post to make sure there was nothing wrong going on, then I realized it was his avatar. This was also pointed out in the "Things of Your Day" thread.

Edit: Scott beat me.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • If Myself were smarter, he could have actually put a normal square image at the bottom of his tall rectangle Avatar. That would have fooled even me for a short time.
    Hey, I was that smart, that was the original plan. I am just too lazy, and too unskilled with MS Paint (I made the original in MS Paint yes, recently updated it to be a transparent gif), to have done so. If I would've done it though that would confuse even more people, which was not the intention. You see, the forum itself states that all avatars will be cropped to 32 by 32 pixels, it does so for the width, but not for the height. So in a silent protest I made this "I suck" avatar to annoy the hell out of people (not confuse, which is an amusing side effect), which would then unintentionally help me in persuading the board owner into fixing it. Yes, elaborate reverse psychology plan thought up in 10 seconds ftw.

And unless someone posted since I loaded this thread, Ro will now also have the I suck tag, again.
  • Why are you using MS Paint? The GIMP is not worthy of being a Photoshop replacement. However, it is still far superior to MS Paint. It's free for all operating systems. Even though The GIMP sucks, anyone who doesn't need real image editing should still be using it.
  • made this "I suck" avatar to annoy the hell out of people
    What I find ironic is that there are certain members here that make annoying posts or do not know how to post properly, and in response you will "kindly" tell them so in a post, yet you do something like this. Mind you, I do agree on what you say, and I also have responded to some people in a "kind" manner.

I honestly could care less if the avatar thing gets fixed. I'd rather have Scott add more stuff to the IDshare.
  • edited July 2008
    So really you're just being an ass?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • So you're silently protesting the fact that the forum software is slightly flawed? Myself, you are a very bored person.
    edited July 2008
    Why are you using MS Paint? The GIMP is not worthy of being a Photoshop replacement. However, it is still far superior to MS Paint. It's free for all operating systems. Even though The GIMP sucks, anyone who doesn't need real image editing should still be using it.
    My Windows partition is as bare bones as it can be. It had no Steam until half a week ago. I have since installed Gimp 2 under Windows though, don't worry. It's in where I fixed the transparency.

Oh, and I forgot some commentary in my first post. Had them in my head, but forgot to add them:
    1. The user name is 'myself', no capital M, even though, it being a name, capitalizing it is grammatically correct.
    2. I had 'figured it out' long time ago. It's only that I recently got less lazy and actually exploited the flaw.
    I'd rather have Scott add more stuff to the IDshare.
    That would also be great.
    So really you're just being an ass?
    Yup! :D

EDIT:
    So you're silently protesting the fact that the forum software is slightly flawed? Myself, you are a very bored person.
    Not bored. Just had a minute or two to spare. And someone should aim for perfection, even the slightest flaw should be attempted to be ironed out! Especially something as simple and blatantly contradictory as this avatar flaw.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited July 2008
    If Myself were smarter, he could have actually put a normal square image at the bottom of his tall rectangle Avatar. That would have fooled even me for a short time.
    Hey, I was that smart, that was the original plan. I am just too lazy, and too unskilled with MS Paint (I made the original in MS Paint yes, recently updated it to be a transparent gif), to have done so. If I would've done it though that would confuse even more people, which was not the intention. You see, the forum itself states that all avatars will be cropped to 32 by 32 pixels, it does so for the width, but not for the height. So in a silent protest I made this "I suck" avatar to annoy the hell out of people (not confuse, which is an amusing side effect), which would then unintentionally help me in persuading the board owner into fixing it. Yes, elaborate reverse psychology plan thought up in 10 seconds ftw.

And unless someone posted since I loaded this thread, Ro will now also have the I suck tag, again.
    Y'know, instead of doing something passive-aggressive like that, you COULD just point out to the board owners that there's an issue with avatar cropping, rather than be an ass.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Honestly, I didn't mind the "I Suck" thing. It was obvious that is was myself's avatar, and it only appeared to be a bad joke.
  • Y'know, instead of doing something passive-aggressive like that, you COULD just point out to the board owners that there's an issue with avatar cropping, rather than be an ass.
    Where's the fun in that? But yes, I'll admit I'm an ass to those who cannot see the humour in this.
  • edited July 2008
    Not bored. Just had a minute or two to spare. And someone should aim for perfection, even the slightest flaw should be attempted to be ironed out! Especially something as simple and blatantly contradictory as this avatar flaw.
    How much coding have you done? Cause my wise supervisor once told me that you'll spend 80% of your code to make things user-proof. Sure it sounds trivial to fix but it might not be.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Y'know, instead of doing something passive-aggressive like that, you COULD just point out to the board owners that there's an issue with avatar cropping, rather than be an ass.
    Where's the fun in that? But yes, I'll admit I'm an ass to those who cannot see the humour in this.
    Well, if it were something more clever than "I suck," I might be more inclined to like it.

Really, I find the lack of a period after the statement to be the most vexing.
    edited July 2008
    How much coding have you done? Cause so my wise supervisor once told me that you'll spend 80% of your code to make things user-proof. Sure it sounds trivial to fix but it might not be.
    I'm a Computer Science student. I have to write code for classes, I have done so for several classes before university. And the fix is trivial. It is one single sentence of CSS for the most simplest of solutions.height: 32px;
    Really, I find the lack of a period after the statement to be the most vexing.
    Ah yes, a valid complaint. I had forgotten the full stop, it indeed being a sentence in itself, whilst making sure it all fit in the 32px width.

So, Things To Do:
    1. Add normal avatar to fool even more people, or make more people laugh.
    2. Fix the grammatical error of no period.

As for the message, 'I suck', I like it. It made Jason think the smart filter was implemented, so it will stay.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited July 2008
    I'm a Computer Science student. I have to write code for classes, I have done so for several classes before university. And the fix is trivial. It is one single sentence of CSS for the most simplest of solutions.
    That's not going to fly. With the software architecture of a web forum like Vanilla, the CSS is part of the theme, but the avatars are part of an plug-in. The themes have to be plug-in agnostic, and the plug-ins have to be theme agnostic. If they are not, then there will be all sorts of conflicts when different people use different themes combined with different combinations of plug-ins. The plug-in actually resizes the image files after they are uploaded.

The other reason not to do the resizing in CSS is to save disk space and reduces page download size/time. If the resizing was done with CSS, but the avatar was huge, everyone would download these huge images files, but their Firefox browsers would do the resizing on the client side. That's just stupid. The resizing must be done on the server, then we just send tiny avatar images to people when they visit the forum. Pages load faster, less bandwidth is used, everything is cool for everybody.

You don't know as much as you think you know.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'm a Computer Science student. I have to write code for classes, I have done so for several classes before university. And the fix is trivial. It is one single sentence of CSS for the most simplest of solutions.
    That's not going to fly. With the software architecture of a web forum like Vanilla, the CSS is part of the theme, but the avatars are part of an plug-in. The themes have to be plug-in agnostic, and the plug-ins have to be theme agnostic. If they are not, then there will be all sorts of conflicts when different people use different themes combined with different combinations of plug-ins. The plug-in actually resizes the image files after they are uploaded.

The other reason not to do the resizing in CSS is to save disk space and reduces page download size/time. If the resizing was done with CSS, but the avatar was huge, everyone would download these huge images files, but their Firefox browsers would do the resizing on the client side. That's just stupid. The resizing must be done on the server, then we just send tiny avatar images to people when they visit the forum. Pages load faster, less bandwidth is used, everything is cool for everybody.

^what he said, web pages are a bitch.
    edited July 2008
    That's not going to fly.
    [F]or the most simplest of solutions.
    Way to not read.
    You already told it was an error with the plugin, and yes, I know/understand that plugins and themes are supposed to work individually, but it's only the simplest of possible solutions. That being, the solution to fix it for this theme.
    Eh... you do know that this exploit works because it allows remote avatars? Sure, if you upload an image to the server, it will resize it indeed, without error, to 32 by 32 pixels. Of course that results in faster loading times.
    I think it's more like you thinking I do not know as much as I think I know. Who knows better what I know? Apreche, or myself? Silly ad hominem Scott.

EDIT: There, now using a wallpaper sized image as my avatar. Which funnily enough has the crotch of the player avatar as center point.

Also, Scott, it might interest you to go to my user page on this forum. You see, here the image is cropper nicely to 32 by 32 pixels. Done with CSS if you go look at the stylesheets. For some reason though, the CSS used on that page is not used on any of the topic pages. At least, not the single line of CSS that cuts the height at 32 pixels on the user page.
    Post edited by ... on
  • There is another factor of time. It's con season for a couple weeks for Geeknights, Scott has better things to do than debug a plugin to code he probably didn't write.

Seriously, what takes more time to get the desired result of no more avatar bleed overs.

a) fixing it, through CSS or other code changes
    or
    b) Banning 'myself'

I find the path of least effort is generally the most travelled.
  • edited July 2008
    There is another factor of time. It's con season for a couple weeks for Geeknights, Scott has better things to do than debug a plugin to code he probably didn't write.

Seriously, what takes more time to get the desired result of no more avatar bleed overs.

a) fixing it, through CSS or other code changes
    or
    b) Banning 'myself'

I find the path of least effort is generally the most travelled.
    B!

Well I hope myself is pleased with is actions.
    That guy, or gal, has been rubbing me the wrong way. He's been pretty unkind.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • How about option C: Realizing it was a funny joke, going "Haha", and moving on with our lives?
  • edited July 2008
    How about option C: Realizing it was a funny joke, going "Haha", and moving on with our lives?
    Going with that. It wasn't really that big of a deal, and myself isn't using said avatar anymore.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • A quick question: who gives a flying fuck?

This whole avatar text thing can be charitably called a slightly funny prank and uncharitably called fucking retarded. Regardless of which you choose, there's little to gain from forcing the issue. Perhaps if we're lucky, there's a quick fix, but if there isn't, the odds of this devolving into a "Scott Argument" are astronomically high. We all know how those go . . .
  • I'm gonna go with option C.
    Unlike some of you, I don't hate myself.
  • I'm gonna go with option C.
    Unlike some of you, I don't hate myself.
    Click Here.
  • I choose C as well, most of you seemed to miss the humor I was going for with B.