This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym solo v. Scott solo.

edited July 2006 in GeekNights
There is *no way* I'm going to pick one over the other. Rym had a total advantage over Scott in having all of the GN sound effects and music. That stuff makes a huge difference. Yet Scott has a compelling voice. This I will say: the two of you together make a better show than either of you solo.

Comments

• Listening to just Scott by himself I thought him doing all his own sound effects was kind of hokey and that he should just learn how do use the darn board.
    However, after listening to Rym by himself with awesome audio quality and full effects I have to say it was weird hearing the "Let's do this" and the closer with Scott there. Just kind of threw me off for a second.

Once again Scott manages to spin his inadequacies into advantage. w00t w00t.
  • The reason I didn't have music and such in my show was not because I don't know how to put them in there. It was because they were on Rym's computer and he didn't send them to me.
  • Well have backup copies.
  • Redundant copies!

Am I the only person who thinks of a terrible joke involving "Han" when reading the title of this thread?
  • Does anyone else notice that when they are apart, Scott and Rym use very different voices? When they are together they slip into "DJ" mode. They are both much more natural during the solo shows. I like the humor when they are together, but I'd wish that they'd lose the fake voices.
  • No, sorry. I didn't notice a difference at all.
  • Now, that's an interesting thing to say. When I was alone, I spoke very differently from how I do normally. Speaking without an audience is a straining and tedious thing.

The normal show, as many people who know us personally will likely attest, is verymuch how we are in person.
  • I am sure you talk that way in person... I'm just saying that there is a difference between how you talk when you are together versus how you talk when you are alone.
    The only reason I noticed it is that my best friend and I are exactly the same way.
  • I don't think you can judge based on my solo podcast. I was using a crap mic.
  • I’m biased; Rym will have to be on FNPL for me to make a fair and informed choice.

(Gentle sound of gloves dropping to the floor)
  • I took radio courses in college so I have some understanding of what is needed to put Geeknights together. Bells and whistles aren't the heart of a show, it is the content and personality of the host(s).

It seemed to me that Rym was using a much more typical "radio voice" on his solo show than he does on the "Rym and Scott Show."

I don't have an opinion as to which solo show was best. Rym and Scott each bring their own unique talents to the show. I enjoyed their solo shows but I find that they each bring out the best in the other and thus I prefer their typical show.

Listening to their solo shows was like watching Abbott without Costello or Martin without Lewis. All were very talented on their own but they were even better as a duo. Probably a bad analogy, but you get the idea.
  • Meh, I can't choose.

Rym's show has better quality,
    Scott's show has a more interesting topic (my opinion).

Nevertheless, the two of you together make a HELLUVA better show than the two of you running solo.
  • I enjoyed both shows, but neither were very good. The thing that makes ya'lls podcast so great, is ya'll playing off of each other.
  • I think both shows were good depending, Scotts only sounded a bit off becuase of the crappie mic.
    I say thumbs up to both of you for doing the solo ones, as Rym says it's far more difficult.