This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Seesmic

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
Has anyone here heard of Seesmic? I first heard about it maybe a month or two ago. It's basically a forum, just like this one, only every post is a video. You use your webcam and Flash to record a video, and then people reply with video.

I thought it was kind of silly and pointless, but then I watched this video from Kevin Rose, the Digg guy. The content of his video isn't important. What matters is that his video made me realize the purpose of Seesmic. Sure, it might be inefficient to have a forum in video format. Sure, it might take a much longer time to watch all the videos in a particular thread. This isn't some forum replacement.

What Seesmic does is it allows to have much richer discussions over longer periods of time. You get all the information from someone's tone of voice, gestures, facial expression, etc. but you don't have to do a live video chat. The chat is saved forever. Sure, Youtube can do this, but Seesmic is designed for it.

So yeah, this Seesmic isn't the greatest thing in the universe, but I think I might be using it from time to time. It automatically sends out a tweet whenever I post a video, so follow my Twitter if you want to watch my Seesmic videos. I just need to get a new headset, so the videos at least sound good, even though my webcam is shit.