This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kings of Trolling

edited August 2008 in Flamewars
I have a feeling this will devolve into a flamewar. It will give you guys something to do while were at Connecticon. Don't get too comfortable, though. I checked, and there is excellent 3g cell service at every convention we are attending.

Anyway, everyone on this forum needs to read this entire article. After that, come here to discuss it.

Comments

• SOMEONE broke rules 1 and 2.

But yeah, 4chan seems to have been getting alot of "normal" press attention lately. I wonder what's up with that.
  • "Normal" people have finally found the black abyss of the internet and are now standing on it's edges and spitting into it in order to find out how deep it goes.
  • edited August 2008
    I liked the way it was written though. The last bit was especially good.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • But yeah, 4chan seems to have been getting alot of "normal" press attention lately. I wonder what's up with that.
    Looks like 4chan is becoming 2chan.
  • It was a great read. That Weev guy sounds scary though.
  • edited August 2008
    I finished reading it just now. Glad ROBOT9000 got discussed. I hope more forums (like this one) adapt that sort of moderation. /r9k/ is a really awesome board.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited August 2008
    Read the first two pages, walked the dog, came back and it's asking me to log in. Bug me not to the rescue.
    Anyone spot the typo on page one?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    edited August 2008
    “Demonstrating these kinds of exploits is usually the only way to get them fixed.”
    That looks awfully familiar.

That was a very interesting read. Personally I find all the interviewed people to be interesting. And Weev's not a scary guy Viga, 2 billion people is still a lot.
    /r9k/ is a really awesome board.
    No it's not.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited August 2008
    No it's not.
    Hmm?
    Post edited by whatever on
  • It was after the word Lulz so I suppose it doesn't count.
    About the article: Is this the price we pay in return for all the good things that anonymity on the internet has provided?
  • Ahhh Trolls...
    Great article, it actually seemed to take a decent look at what going on, significantly more so than I'd expect from legitimate media. I'll agree with Viga though, some of these people seem rather nuts, especially Weev. Though my only problem with them is they don't seem to know which side of tasteful to stop on going well beyond something comedic to straight up ass-hatery.
  • I'm all in favor of anonymity online, and a troll on any message board is easily ignored or dismissed, but what about when it turns into real life harassing?
  • I'm all in favor of anonymity online, and a troll on any message board is easily ignored or dismissed, but what about when it turns into real life harassing?
    Read the article and find out.
  • I know what happens.
    I was wondering if it is that really the price we want to pay for online anonymity?
  • The people that are profiled in this article are the kind of people that scare me.

Even if some of these people might be faking themselves in order to present a face to the public: Weev's little Rolls Royce stunt, sure. Jason Fortuny's talking about his past should be taken with a pinch of salt. But these people basically feeding their own schadenfreude through the web make me ill.
  • The people that are profiled in this article are the kind of people that scare me.
    I bet not a lot of people knew who Weev was before reading this article, yet everyone knows who moot is and they make him look like a terrible person even though he's really chill and down to earth. Weev is the real internet villain, and it bothers me that he isn't outed as such as often as he should be.
  • [T]hey make [moot] look like a terrible person
    What? Where are they? I'd say the contrary, they don't make him look like anything, they only say he owns 4chan, nothing about him being a terrible person.
  • Weev, for some reason, reminds me of the Crew out "Geek Mafia" - Just more of a bastard.
  • What? Where are they? I'd say the contrary, they don't make him look like anything, they only say he owns 4chan, nothing about him being a terrible person.
    People on other forums who are generally misinformed about 4chan.
  • When I read "weev" I thought Dr. SMOOV.