This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pet Issues

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
I am leaving for college on the 14th and I have an issue. I have a rabbit and my dorm does not allow pets and my mom does not want to take care of my rabbit. I have no idea what I am to do with him. The only solution I can think of is to give him away, but I really would like to see him when I come back. Do any of you have an idea for a possible solution?

Comments

• This might be too obvious, but have you asked any other family members? Maybe you can donate him to a petting zoo during the time you are at school. Maybe you can convince Emily to keep him for you.
  • Any of your friends that are already done school or staying at their parents that can take care of it?
  • Maybe you can convince Emily to keep him for you.
    It would have to live with Emily's parents then though. God, a single GeekChat gives too much information.
  • Are you sure you can't just hide him in your dorm room?
    My ex hid a rat in her dorm room for a whole year. She stole him from the university's lab. But a rat is a lot smaller than a rabbit.
  • NOOOOOO! Not rabbit stew! BAD, Jason!

But yeah, ask a friend?

(Wishes she could take it off your hands)
  • Tough decision man, I'm a total animal lover. Just do the Humane society a favor, and don't give away your rabbit, there full enough as it is.

As for eating rabbit, too lean.
  • Don't live in the dorm. Go get an apartment that allows pets.
    I was able to hide two kitties from the Campus Housing department this past year.
  • FAAAAKKU YUUUU JEEEEIIIISOOONN!

I'm completely serious when I ask these questions. My mom and I are actually looking into getting a companion for Spooky Marie.
    Question 1: Is your rabbit a boy?
    Question 2: Is your rabbit friendly and energetic, not shy and afraid of people?
    Question 3: Where is your college? Is it near NY? On the east coast?
    Question 4: Is your rabbit neutered?
    Don't live in the dorm. Go get an apartment that allows pets.
    This, I think, is the best solution. More expensive, sure, but I think you would be happiest. As much as you may be tempted to try and hide the rabbit, these things often end in tragedy.

You can contact the House Rabbit Society: They might be able to give you some advice.

Seriously, dude, call me. Are you going to Otakon?
  • FAAAAKKU YUUUU JEEEEIIIISOOONN!
    Allow me the quick interjection: Are you trying to imitate Sue from Genshiken or do you have just fun with pronouncing english words with a japanese accent?
  • do you have just fun with pronouncing english words with a japanese accent?
    Sure, why not.
  • Only do the "hide it in the dorm" thing if you're really serious about keeping him. Eventually he may smell, or chew on some wires, but none of your friends will want you to get rid of him (of course, they don't have to raise him).
  • I wouldn't worry so much about smell or damage. If someone takes good care of the bun, that's not a problem. The students all love it, I just worry what happens if the maintenance guys rat you out. This happened with a cat one of my friends had. Luckily her grandmother took the kitty until she could find a new apartment, but really, its a tough situation. Chances are, even if you keep the bunny hidden, you'll run into problems.
  • edited August 2008
    Just flush the crap and stuff down a toilet. Or, do it late at night. Or, just stuff soda cans full of it.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Just flush the crap and stuff down a toilet. Or,do it late at night. Or,just stuff soda cans full of it.
    Yeah, because clogging up the pipes with Bunny Litter is going to be real easy to explain to Residence Management.
  • Just flush the crap and stuff down a toilet. Or,do it late at night. Or,just stuff soda cans full of it.
    Yeah, because clogging up the pipes with Bunny Litter is going to be real easy to explain to Residence Management.
    Yeah, you're right.
  • edited August 2008
    Just flush the crap and stuff down a toilet. Or,do it late at night. Or,just stuff soda cans full of it.
    Yeah, you're right.
    "This stupid frat boy busted into my room and barfed all over the bathroom floor late last night. The store on campus was closed and the only place open was the convenience store up the road. They were out of TP so I thought some litter wold do the job. You, know, 'cause it clumps. Sorry, the bag said it was toilet safe."

Done.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • "This stupid frat boy busted into my room and barfed all over the bathroom floor late last night. The store on campus was closed and the only place open was the convenience store up the road. They were out of TP so I thought some litter wold do the job. You, know, 'cause it clumps. Sorry, the bag said it was toilet safe."

Done.
    Every week?
  • "This stupid frat boy busted into my room and barfed all over the bathroom floor late last night. The store on campus was closed and the only place open was the convenience store up the road. They were out of TP so I thought some litter wold do the job. You, know, 'cause it clumps. Sorry, the bag said it was toilet safe."

Done.
    Every week?
    Depending on the frat, yes.

Done.
    Every week?
    I worked as an RA for a year. That is entirely believable, and the rabbit is probably more hygenic than most of Li's future roommates.
  • I'm completely serious when I ask these questions. My mom and I are actually looking into getting a companion for Spooky Marie.
    I would seriously try to "date" both rabbits before you tried to introduce them to each other so you know their personalities in social settings. Wanting to get a second rabbit so the first isn't lonely is very noble but sometimes rabbits have other ideas. A friend of mine took nearly three months to find a suitable cage mate for her netherland dwarf because all the other rabbits they dated were too aggressive or hormonal for her passive rabbit. I've attempted to socialize my polish mix, Ogorki, with other rabbits and he will have none of it at this point in time. Even if I try my friend's passive dwarf or my super passive polish he'll still freak out. By himself he's a very well behaved rabbit and you would never expect him to be the super aggressive rabbit that comes out when trying to socialize him. Don't try and force rabbit socialization since either the rabbits or the people involved with get hurt and no one wants extra tetanus shots.
  • I would seriously try to "date" both rabbits before you tried to introduce them to each other so you know their personalities in social settings. Wanting to get a second rabbit so the first isn't lonely is very noble but sometimes rabbits have other ideas. A friend of mine took nearly three months to find a suitable cage mate for her netherland dwarf because all the other rabbits they dated were too aggressive or hormonal for her passive rabbit. I've attempted to socialize my polish mix, Ogorki, with other rabbits and he will have none of it at this point in time. Even if I try my friend's passive dwarf or my super passive polish he'll still freak out. By himself he's a very well behaved rabbit and you would never expect him to be the super aggressive rabbit that comes out when trying to socialize him. Don't try and force rabbit socialization since either the rabbits or the people involved with get hurt and no one wants extra tetanus shots.
    This is entirely true. Bonding rabbits is often very difficult.
    BTW do you really need to get tetanus shots for rabbit bites? I thought they had pretty clean mouths compared to other animals.
  • This is entirely true. Bonding rabbits is often very difficult.
    BTW do you really need to get tetanus shots for rabbit bites? I thought they had pretty clean mouths compared to other animals.
    The only shot you don't have to worry about is rabies if you have indoor rabbits. If you're bitten and it is a deep bite they'll give you a tetanus shot since they have to treat it like other animal bites. This is because there isn't a lot of data on rabbit bites and the bacteria associated with their mouth. While rabbits don't have the plethora of bacteria in their mouths like cats, remember they still use it to clean themselves and eat their soft feces. Ogorki bit me during a socializing experiment with my friend's netherland dwarf and did a lot of damage. He held on for 30-45 seconds and James had to actually work to get him off my finger. Needless to say it was a very deep bite and less than 12 hours later had swollen the entire finger and also caused swelling of the rest of my hand and needed IV antibiotics. Even if his mouth was miraculously clean there's nothing to stop normal skin flora from getting into the wound, getting comfy in the anaerobic environment and giving you a nasty infection.
  • ...Wow. 30-45 seconds? Frederick would nip occasionally, but your story... Yeesh. Bad Pickle! That's not a nip that's a BITE.

About rabies: Wild rabbits and squirrels...they are not often carriers, right? I know that if I was ever bitten by one I would get the vaccine, but they are typically not big vectors, right? Just curious, as you are the disease expert around here.