This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geeknights Torrents

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
Would it be okay if I created torrents of the podcasts from 2007 for each night? Also if I did so, would anyone care to help seed?

Comments

• edited August 2008
    You don't have to ask. Go listen to the episode about the creative commons.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You don't have to ask. Go listen to the episode about the creative commons.
    I mostly asked to make sure someone hasn't already done this.
  • edited August 2008
    If each show is around 30mb then that's 1.5gb per night per year (a year being 52 weeks long), 7.5Gb total. You'd be better off asking Scrym to get on with making DVDs made.
    I just made a worrying realization, 7.5 GB is not all that big by my standards.
  • If each show is around 30mb then that's 1.5gb per night per year (a year being 52 weeks long), 7.5Gb total. You'd be better off asking Scrym to get on with making DVDs made.
    I just made a worrying realization, 7.5 GB is not all that big by my standards.
    They only made four shows a week last year, so 6 GB.
  • Why not have 6 months of Geeknights in each torrent?

Anyway, it's a good idea for those who listen to a few and get way into it.
  • If you're going to split them up could you make them 4.3GB in size, that way they fit on a SL-DVD. If someone's good with PHP could they generate a page with a list of the links to Geeknights mp3s that auto-increments so I can just point Downloadthemall at it and hit go? Better still, is there a way of just looking at the libsyn directory (currently just gives you a 404.)
  • It's a better idea than DVDs.
  • Not if they'd get on with actually making the damn things.
    How do you figure? Torrenting is a free way to get a massive amount of media. The DVD would certainly not be free. Also, ripping tracks off a DVD is no less hassle than burning tracks to a DVD.
    Why would they make DVDs? Did Scrym not already say that they would not be making DVDs after thinking it through?
  • edited August 2008
    I spose, It's just having most of my connection tied up for so long that would make DVDs preferable. One reason I'd like to put it on DVDs is to give to people but that would be a mix of all the podcasts I listened to, sort of a "Guide to podcasts" disc to hand out to people.

I was probably referring to swag in general.
  • I've decided to do the torrents in 6 month packs for every day. Anyone willing to seed when I'm done?
  • Are you doing them chronologically or are you going to do all the Mondays in one torrent, all Tuesdays, etc.?
  • Are you doing them chronologically or are you going to do all the Mondays in one torrent, all Tuesdays, etc.?
    I will be doing separate torrents for each day. So the first one will be Mondays shows from January 2007 to July 2007.
  • I'll seed at least the Monday and Thursday shows.
  • Torrents are awesome, but honestly, I would still pay about $10 for a Geeknights Anthology.
  • edited August 2008
    I need to find a way to burn off all of my geeks nights off on to DVD's I have almost every episode and it's about 20 some gigs.
    Torrents are awesome, but honestly, I would still pay about $10 for a Geeknights Anthology.
    Agreed, with the bonus lost episodes.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • So, the question is...

will these torrents have the alpha episodes in them?

^_~
  • Torrents are awesome, but honestly, I would still pay about $10 for a Geeknights Anthology.
    It will cost more than $10 to make. It will take so many DVDs.
  • Could you just do a bit at a time?
    It will cost more than $10 to make. It will take so many DVDs.
    How much would it cost, 'cause that's something I'd really like to have to keep me sane when the zombies come ;)

• I will be doing separate torrents for each day. So the first one will be Mondays shows from January 2007 to July 2007.
    I'll seed all shows for a while at least.

Perhaps the 2008 ones can be done next, and then backtrack into 06 and 05?
  • I run my torrents on a separate server, I'll be happy to just leave this seeding, but my upload is limited and comcast is always trying to foil torrents.
  • I'll seed, just post the torrents. I do like the PHP DownThemAll idea though... once I dig myself out from under my current project, I'll take a look :)
  • [C]omcast is always trying to foil torrents.
    Yup, on the plus side, court also hates that. As for getting around it, 1) Randomize your port if you can, 2) Force encryption, 3) Sue Comcast.
  • I'll seed, just link me to the file (I'm lazy ;p)
  • I'll seed as well once it's ready.
  • [C]omcast is always trying to foil torrents.
    Yup, on the plus side, court also hates that. As for getting around it, 1) Randomize your port if you can, 2) Force encryption, 3) Sue Comcast.
    I know all the tricks to help, but Sandvine is better than the tricks for the most part. I find setting my global up/dn speeds low seems to draw the least amount of agro.
  • I know all the tricks to help, but Sandvine is better than the tricks for the most part. I find setting my global up/dn speeds low seems to draw the least amount of agro.
    Sandvine preventing you from suing?!
  • I'll seed. or rather, I'll tell my p2 box to seed.