This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm driving cross country in 5 days. Help.

Comments

• Hehe, that was funny, but sarcasm of that degree should be put in green text. No worries on the space, that's all on my hard drive.
  • Forget all that space wasting garbage. All you need to take is the Bible. If you don't have one, just take it from the first hotel you're staying at – they're free.
    Yeah. THe thin paper's great for papercraft and origami. Folds real nice.
  • Forget all that space wasting garbage. All you need to take is the Bible. If you don't have one, just take it from the first hotel you're staying at – they're free.
    I also heard it's great for rolling joints.

Anyhow, Sonic you have PLENTY more than ~45 hours of entertainment. I know if I took that much, I wouldn't get through it all, and I'd feel like I over did it. I'm curious as to what you think. Definitely post your reaction after said trip.
  • Hehe, that was funny, but sarcasm of that degree should be put in green text. No worries on the space, that's all on my hard drive.
    Then you forgot Serenity and Firefly TV series. I will recommend Kotetsushin Jeeg but only if you are manly enough that "you don't need air".
  • I'm wondering why no one has questioned me making malware.
  • I'm wondering why no one has questioned me making malware.
    I'll question it.
  • edited August 2008
    So glad you asked. I'm trying to see if I can write a self updating, reporting, remote controllable, program using only standard windows programs (ftp, ping, etc..) and batch files. I have a .bat compiler that will convert my batch scripts into exe's and allow me to package additional files (such as ftp configs and Reg keys) with it. By using only functions windows itself could use, my hope is that it will be able to pass under heuristic analysis by AV software. Also, since it will use only standard commands included in modern NT based OS's, It should be compatible with 2000, XP, and Vista. The batch's will run in ghost mode to prevent the user from seeing it.

The goal is for it to run like so.
    Installation: Currently done by exploiting Autorun. Autorun runs a batch which copies another batch to the system temp folder and runs it. USB key is then removed and the rest is automated.
    Obscure, dig in, poke a hole, and phone home: The new program will create a folder in the Windows/system32/ directory, extract the updater, and copies it there. It then adds a new scheduled task to run the updater at a set interval. The installer then reconfigures the windows firewall to add an exception for the program FTP. It runs systeminfo and saves the output to a file with the same name as the computer name. It then connects via FTP to the home server and uploads the file. The installer now runs the updater and deletes itself.
    Update and March: The updater runs FTP, downloads a new program with new marching orders and runs the program. It will repeat this over and over again because it is a repeating scheduled task.

The file it downloads can contain whatever you want and will be run as soon as the task repeats it self. Hopefully this can all be done without tipping off any AV. Of course this will fail miserably if any third party firewalls are installed on the system, but that's not too likely.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
    If you are being serious, which I very highly doubt, you are posting in the wrong forums. As I do not think you are posting seriously, all I have to say is...
    Oh, and get the hell off my internets!
  • Vista's UAC will force the user to confirm actions at the following intervals:
    1) Starting the installer batch script
    2) When the batch script copies the installer to the system directory
    3) When the batch script makes changes to task scheduler
    4) When the batch script makes changes to the firewall
    5) When the batch script launches FTP
    6) When FTP tries to copy new files to the system directory
    7) When the program executes the marching orders

Remember, that since batch scripts execute everything through the 'shell', UAC will treat every step along the way as a new application launched by the user (since all new processes will be referred from exlporer.exe or cmd.exe's PIDs).

XP users are boned though ^_^
    edited August 2008
    I'm wondering why no one has questioned me making malware.
    I was asleep.
    It then adds a new scheduled task to run the updater at a set interval.
    Doesn't that make it awfully suspicious? I mean, if suddenly there's an entry in a person's Scheduled Tasks lists without them having any idea what it might be or do and what it made?
    Forget all that space wasting garbage. All you need to take is the Bible. If you don't have one, just take it from the first hotel you're staying at – they're free.
    WHAHAHAHA! Oh god, I hadn't read this post yet. So I think the chances of me being completely right about you being a crackpot 40 year old rural area Christian increases by 25%.
    Post edited by ... on
  • It then adds a new scheduled task to run the updater at a set interval.
    Doesn't that make it awfully suspicious? I mean, if suddenly there's an entry in a person's Scheduled Tasks lists without them having any idea what it might be or do and what it made?
    How many people actually use scheduled tasks, know they exists, check the folder regularly, or know what should and should not be in there?
  • How many people actually use scheduled tasks, know they exists, check the folder regularly, or know what should and should not be in there?
    Hey, steady up! There have to be at least four doze...At least four!
  • It then adds a new scheduled task to run the updater at a set interval.
    How many people actually use scheduled tasks, know they exists, check the folder regularly, or know what should and should not be in there?
    At least one, me. :) Well, I didn't check it regularly, but still.
  • How many people actually use scheduled tasks, know they exists, check the folder regularly, or know what should and should not be in there?
    Hey, steady up! There have to be at least four doze...At least four!
    There ya go. :)
    I also heard it's great for rolling joints.
    Cheap wrapping paper. XD

We are all going to internet hell.
  • edited August 2008
    If you are being serious, which I very highly doubt, you are posting in the wrong forums. As I do not think you are posting seriously, all I have to say is...
    Please do not feed the troll.
    4chan /b/, Gurochan or Stormfront?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited August 2008
    4chan /b/, Gurochan or Stormfront?
    Gaia Online.
    That ship's sailed a long time ago. At least for me, lol.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • The hell is Stormfront?
  • The hell is Stormfront?
    "Stormfront", I'm feeling lucky.
    That ship's sailed a long time ago. At least for me, lol.
    Word, and
    Gaia Online.
    is an awesome one-up.
  • Gaia Online.
    Godwin's Law has yet to be invoked. We can't escalate that far into the circles of e-hell until someone references Nazis or the Holocaust... which I suppose I just did.

What do you suppose we'll see in Internet hell? Most likely nothing, as RealPlayer is still buffering.
  • Tomorrow is the big day... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *runs around in a panic looking in every hiding place for stuff he may have left behind*
  • Tomorrow is the big day... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *runs around in a panic looking in every hiding place for stuff he may have left behind*
    Did you check the secret passage?
  • No. I wanted to, but my candle burned out and I didn't want to risk getting eaten by a grue.
  • edited August 2008
    Movers are gone. I'm gonna be packing the networking equipment and my laptop bag soon. The first batch of photos are up. 1.3 Megapixels.

Link to PhotoStream

Also, no cellular internet. I'm gonna have to go from Hotspot to hotspot I guess.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Wow, I'm here. This is surreal. There's no internet here yet, so I'm borrowing a neighbors wifi.
  • Welcome back, Sonic. It always feels weird when you move to a new place. It's a whole new routine and looking around is interesting for a short time.
  • I hate moving, it is definitely one of the most annoying processes I have ever had to suffer through.
  • I does feel weird. None of my stuff is here yet, no bed, no other sets of clothes. I can't even get the video i recorded with the camcorder because the set top DVD recorder isn't here either. There's also this half feeling that I'll be going back to RI, even though I know I won't. Also, I am now one of "Those west coast geeknights listeners". *SHUN* My internal clock is still running on east coast time, which sucks because I'm so used to staying up late at night.

Though having a garage will be nice. I can finally build that electric go-kart I always wanted.
  • edited August 2008
    Oh yeah...you ARE a west coaster.

*SHUN!*
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Oh yeah...you ARE a west coaster.
    *SHUN!*
    West Coast FOR LIFE! RIDE OR DIE! :P