This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I Am Rich

edited August 2008 in News
People buy $1000 iPhone app that's nothing more than a screen saver, get pissed.
From looking at everything, there was no lawbreaking here. The guy SAID that it was nothing but a BS app that is just a "status symbol", and people are bitching about it, saying that it's a "rip-off" and that there was some sort of nefariousness going on.

Comments

• I'm loving it.
  • I love the idiot they quoted in the last paragraph:
    "I saw this app with a few friends and we jokingly clicked 'buy' thinking it was a joke, to see what would happen," the upset I Am Rich owner wrote.
    Sheesh, what would happen if I click a button labelled "BUY"? Perhaps I buy the product? Dude should be buried under $1000 worth of dictionaries.
  • The guy who made it is a fucking genius.
  • Could someone make a fake version of this you can load onto your friends iPhone to scare them with?
  • I love the idiot they quoted in the last paragraph:
    "I saw this app with a few friends and we jokingly clicked 'buy' thinking it was a joke, to see what would happen," the upset I Am Rich owner wrote.
    Sheesh, what would happen if I click a button labelled "BUY"? Perhaps Ibuythe product? Dude should be buried under $1000 worth of dictionaries.
    Although I'm aware of "buyer beware", I get a little spooked every time I buy something that easily through the net. Is there any confirmation click/password check on an iphone, otherwise, anyone who could get their hands on your iphone could waste your $1000...
  • password check on an iphone
    Yes there is.
  • So according to that page, with the "1-Click Ordering" they have ninety minutes to change or cancel their order. An hour and a half is a long time if you find you don't like the app, or feel you got scammed. It's their own damn fault.
  • I agree. The fact that people get 90 minutes to fix their idiocy is pretty generous.
  • I wonder if any tech savvy millionaires have seriously bought this?
    As far as I can tell, Apple has since removed the app from the Applications store, so they only had a short period of time to buy the app.

If Apple removes the app from the store, does that eventually remove the app from your iPhone? I've heard that Apple put in a backdoor of sorts to remotely shut down applications if they decide they violate the terms of use or whatever.
    As far as I can tell, Apple has since removed the app from the Applications store, so they only had a short period of time to buy the app.
    Oooooo... so it's super rare now...

$10,000 for an iphone that has this app!
  • That's how eBay sellers seem to think, yes.
    "RARE" makes everything better. EVERYTHING, WITHOUT EXCEPTION.
    "RARE" makes everything better.EVERYTHING, WITHOUT EXCEPTION.
    Cause that's generally how capitalism thinks.
  • Wow...just wow.
    RARE LIVE BLACK PLAGUE VIRUS UNOPENED NEVER USED PLZ RATE ME A+++ SELLER WHILE YOU STILL LIVE AFTER PURCHASE

• RARE LIVE BLACK PLAGUE VIRUS UNOPENED NEVER USED PLZ RATE ME A+++ SELLER WHILE YOU STILL LIVE AFTER PURCHASE
    Enjoy your stay in Guantanamo Bay.
  • RARE LIVE BLACK PLAGUE VIRUS UNOPENED NEVER USED PLZ RATE ME A+++ SELLER WHILE YOU STILL LIVE AFTER PURCHASE
    I pay u with special escrow svc my friend says they r good. u get email they hold $$$, give them tracking # and they giv u $$$.
    RARE LIVE BLACK PLAGUE VIRUS UNOPENED NEVER USED PLZ RATE ME A+++ SELLER WHILE YOU STILL LIVE AFTER PURCHASE
    I would buy it... I would spend alot for it, but this would be crazy usefull. *Evil laugh*
  • I wonder exactly what Apple's SDK lets you do with the iPhone regarding incoming calls. I doubt its possible, but if the app could read the phone numbers of incoming calls and query it against a database of other application subscribers online... and drop the calls if their numbers are not registered...

I'll call it "I Am Pretentious"
  • I would buy it... I would spend alot for it, but this would be crazy usefull. *Evil laugh*
    I think I'd buy it only if I could get the cure with it too; that way you could play some mad awesome pranks, and say the phrase "I had the plague"

Teacher: Jimmy, why'd you miss the past month of school?
    Jimmy: I had the plague.
  • The symptoms of the plague are pretty horrible.
  • So according to that page, with the "1-Click Ordering" they have ninety minutes to change or cancel their order. An hour and a half is a long time if you find you don't like the app, or feel you got scammed. It's their own damn fault.
    Actually the 90 min cool-off time doesn't apply to software.
    How much time do I have to change my 1-Click order?
    With the exception of electronic software downloads, items ordered using 1-Click are processed at the end of a 90-minute waiting period. During this time, you can modify or cancel your order.