This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How far will you go to save a few bucks?

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
Alright, lifehacker posted this article today, and asked how far you'd go to save a few bucks.

Personally, I barely ever do much to save small amounts of money. I'm pretty well off (have a job, but very little bills, being a high schooler)...and usually it's not worth the hassle. Lately I've been being cheap about deodorant, because paying $5 for a stick of axe is dumb when $2 sticks are sitting right next to it. Other than small stuff like that, I really don't go out of my way.

Go to a different gas station, even if it's 10cents cheaper? Nah. My tank is only 12 gallons, so at best I'd be saving $1.20. Sure, if two stations are right next to each other, I'll pick the cheaper one. But I won't drive out of my way, even if it's only a few miles, to get a better deal.

Arguing with employees at stores? Not worth it. Being a bagger/cashier at a grocery store, I have to deal with a lot of coupon users and penny pinchers. Just today some guy was throwing a fit because we had free bread coupons for the store brand bread. Well, that bread was sold out today, so we made the coupon good for all bread, but it was only good up to $2 (so calling it a "free bread" coupon is a little misleading, but when it's applied to the intended product- the store brand bread, it's free bread). A customer came up with bread that was $2.25 and he complained for a long time over that fucking quarter. I left the area, cause he was pissing me off, so I dunno if he got the $.25 or not...

Then a few days ago, some guy was buying a set of razors. In the store ad, it said they were $3. They were ringing as $3.50 or 4, I think. He was bitching (and I mean bitching, he was cussing out the cashier, who was trying his best to make it work) for a good 10-15 minutes about it. I bet he got the deal, cause we buckle to customers 99.99999% of the time...

Also, it annoys the fuck out of me when people see a price of an item ring up for a price, then say "I can get that for x cents cheaper at x store, I'm not buying it, please take it off". While it's not really a hassle to the cashiers, I find it dumb that people make a big deal over saving what's sometimes minute as a dime.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• haha, that's hilarious.

I tend to spend a lot of money on eating out with friends, but I do like cooking at home. It's much cheaper, and restaurants generally suck. I can cook a steak better than any sub-$200 restaurant. Unfortunately, I can't have people over for dinner often, because I still (for the next few weeks) live with my parents. I pay for everything except rent/utilities, though.

If I find a coupon for a place I like, I'll use it rather than pay full price. That takes no effort. I won't go out of my way to spend a coupon, though.
  • Being generally poor I tend to avoid spending money where I can, but I don't go out of my way to save some change on something I plan on buying anyway. I don't use coupons but if an item is on sale that's fine. Coupons and sale hunting is more a matter of effort for me, it just seems like there are better things to do than going out of my way.
  • I'm always insanely cheap with anything for entertainment, to the point where I'll wait a few months if I think a game will go down in price (and then I'll routinely forget about it). However, when I'm with friends, or if I'm buying something where reliability may be an issue, I tend to throw money around. However, I also take pride when I save money, especially on clothes.
  • I was at Wal-Mart the other day at midnight waiting for the Breaking Dawn book to come out on the shelves with my friend (yes I'm a total geek for that). When the books were brought out, the stickers said they were like $13.99, which is way cheaper than normal bookstore price. This one woman goes "It is only $10 online, so it should be $10 here too!" and starts harassing the poor guy that brought the books out. She claimed that the books were cheaper online and that the site said they would be in the stores as well (which I didn't believe anyway). So instead of driving to the store and harassing people, why didn't she just order it online then? Stupid people.
  • I'm always insanely cheap with anything for entertainment, to the point where I'll wait a few months if I think a game will go down in price (and then I'll routinely forget about it). However, when I'm with friends, or if I'm buying something where reliability may be an issue, I tend to throw money around. However, I also take pride when I save money, especially on clothes.
    Well, regarding games, that's a matter of like $10-20, depending on the game. I'm talking like the people Lyddi mentioned, where it's only a matter of $4....or worse, people who are like "Yeah I could get that at marcs for 25 cents cheaper".
    Well, regarding games, that's a matter of like $10-20, depending on the game. I'm talking like the people Lyddi mentioned, where it's only a matter of $4....or worse, people who are like "Yeah I could get that at marcs for 25 cents cheaper".
    Well, consider buying used games at Gamestop, where you pay $5 less and don't support the creators at all.

And yes, if there's something I want, I won't buy it right away: I'll search online to find it cheaper while rarely ever considering shipping costs. There have been times where Amazon has gotten me to buy $10 worth of crap so I wouldn't have to pay shipping on a $15 game.

I'm also convinced there's some authentic, psychological satisfaction that people receive when they "beat the system" and save a couple of bucks.
  • Time is money. I'll only spend time to get money if the money is worth more than the time I have to spend.
  • 'I love him whose soul is deep, even in being wounded, and who may perish through a minor matter: thus he goes willingly over the bridge." Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Friedrich Nietzsche.

This guy is awesome, for the same reason that Rorschach is a badass. Never compromise. It wasn't a battle for three dollars, but a moral clash not only with the clerk but with himself. I commend this man. 'Not even in the face of Armageddon, never compromise'

@Lyddi: 1) We're all geeks here 2) There was probably shipping and handling which was taken into account which made both the prices equal
  • You guys know me, I'm pretty laid back. Easy going. A cool dude with a smooth 'tude (heh, helloooooo 90's).
    However, I don't put up with any shit when it comes to stores refusing coupons or generally giving me a hard time for trying to save money.
  • I was working at Gateway, and some guy bought a decent system after asking more than the necessary or reasonable amount of questions. Then, he calls the store back a few days later and says he wants to return the system because we charged him extra for a ton of things in the computer. He forced my manager, for several hours, to talk on the phone with him and go line by line and find out the cost of every screw, carriage, chip, and wire, most of which he had no idea what they were or what they were for (and were therefore unnecessary in his eyes). Then, on top of all this assholeary, my manager does the math with the guy and figures that Gateway made about $27 of profit from the computer. He offers to refund the money and the guy says "never mind" and hangs up. We figured the little fucker was trying to scam a few hundred bucks (he belonged to a certain group of people always coming in and demanding ludicrous bargains) and playing dumber than he was. Seriously, who questions screws in their computer's case?
  • edited August 2008
    Alright, lifehacker postedthis articletoday, and asked how far you'd go to save a few bucks.

Personally, I barely ever do much to save small amounts of money. I'm pretty well off (have a job, but very little bills, being a high schooler)...and usually it's not worth the hassle. Lately I've been being cheap about deodorant, because paying $5 for a stick of axe is dumb when $2 sticks are sitting right next to it. Other than small stuff like that, I really don't go out of my way.

Go to a different gas station, even if it's 10cents cheaper? Nah. My tank is only 12 gallons, so at best I'd be saving $1.20. Sure, if two stations are right next to each other, I'll pick the cheaper one. But I won't drive out of my way, even if it's only a few miles, to get a better deal.

Arguing with employees at stores? Not worth it. Being a bagger/cashier at a grocery store, I have to deal with a lot of coupon users and penny pinchers. Just today some guy was throwing a fit because we had free bread coupons for the store brand bread. Well, that bread was sold out today, so we made the coupon good for all bread, but it was only good up to $2 (so calling it a "free bread" coupon is a little misleading, but when it's applied to the intended product- the store brand bread, it's free bread). A customer came up with bread that was $2.25 and he complained for a long time over that fucking quarter. I left the area, cause he was pissing me off, so I dunno if he got the $.25 or not...

Then a few days ago, some guy was buying a set of razors. In the store ad, it said they were $3. They were ringing as $3.50 or 4, I think. He was bitching (and I mean bitching, he was cussing out the cashier, who was trying his best to make it work) for a good 10-15 minutes about it. I bet he got the deal, cause we buckle to customers 99.99999% of the time...

Also, it annoys the fuck out of me when people see a price of an item ring up for a price, then say "I can get that for x cents cheaper at x store, I'm not buying it, please take it off". While it's not really a hassle to the cashiers, I find it dumb that people make a big deal over saving what's sometimes minute as a dime.

What are your thoughts?
    I was a cashier a while ago. Store policy was that if something was wrong on your bill after you paid you were refunded the entire price, the idea being that we have customers bring problems to our attention so we can fix it. Now some vegetable was on sale and it wasn't in the computer right. We knew, we just had to take it off manually. Some lady came up and put the a bunch of the vegetables in question on the conveyor belt I started to ring them up. After I scan the first one she goes, "that's wrong! I get it for free!" To which I respond, "no you don't if I correct it here at the register," two key strokes later "there, correct price now." She looked over at me, and I could see her thinking about arguing, but I just had the biggest smile on my face, saying without words, "go ahead, try and argue store policy with me, I've read the book, you're gonna lose." She hung her head, paid, and left.

Another great story is when someone tried to pay with a check. Store policy, a check needs a phone number on it with which to contact the person if there is an issue. Now I had a headache this day, so I wasn't too happy inside, but I also rigidly follow store policy, cause I'll lose my job. Lady came up with a bunch of groceries, and paid with a check. Entirely normal, she hands it to me I look at it...

me: ma'am I need your phone number on this check.
    ma'am: I don't give it out.
    me: i understand, but it's store policy, I can't accept a check that doesn't have a phone number.
    ma'am: I don't give it out, it's an unlisted number, and you're not allowed to ask me for personal information! (trying to be all stern and "I'm the adult, I know the rules and you will respect me" sort of thing)
    *twitch, OK you wanna play hard ball, then hard ball it is.
    me: No, I assure you I'm allowed to ask you for your phone, you don't have to answer. Much the same way I don't have to accept your check if it doesn't conform with store policy.
    ma'am: I think you should get your manager!
    *I'm right next to customer service so I just shout over to my manager
    me: CAN I ACCEPT A CHECK WITHOUT A PHONE NUMBER?
    Manager: NO, IT'S STORE POLICY, IT NEEDS A PHONE NUMBER.

win.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited August 2008
    Awesome, without a doubt.
    Post edited by Magnum_Opus on
  • I save money by not tipping. Why should I tip someone for a job I can do myself? I can serve my own meal at a restaurant or take my own suitcase to my room. It's these jobs that rely on "tips", or should I say highway robbery, that are destroying the fabric of America. Just the other day, a waitress gave me an evil eye because I refused to pay the gratuity tax on my bill. I told her if she wanted a tip I'll give you one, "Next time bring my meal out to me in a timely matter. There's your tip".
  • I save money by not tipping. Why should I tip someone for a job I can do myself? I can serve my own meal at a restaurant or take my own suitcase to my room. It's these jobs that rely on "tips", or should I say highway robbery, that are destroying the fabric of America. Just the other day, a waitress gave me an evil eye because I refused to pay the gratuity tax on my bill. I told her if she wanted a tip I'll give you one, "Next time bring my meal out to me in a timely matter. There's your tip".
    You're not clever or funny. Seriously.
    Oh honey, move to Australia! Not only are you not expected to tip, quite a few places outright refuse them. I will admit, I will tip in cases of exceptional service, but as a service industry professional, It had better be some damn good service. The whole "Life-advice-as-a-tip" thing is a bit overdone, but hey, whatever makes you giggle, honey.

Though, more on the topic - A friend of mine works for Emirates airlines, and after spending the flight taking the best possible care of a bloke and his wives, was given a watch as a tip - But not any of this Rolex business - He was given a watch that is worth more than my damn house. I'm talking $300,000 AUD sort of territory.
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    Generally the whole penny-pinching thing doesn't save money because it doesn't factor in indirect costs, like the time spent clipping coupons and arguing with managers, or the gas spent driving around to multiple stores. That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't worth it, though. It lets people believe they are being thrifty, which provides them with a sense of well-being and generally makes them happy in a way that is probably cheaper than going out for dinner and a movie. Not really a money-saving tactic as much as an inexpensive hobby.

Moving to a place whose rent is $75 cheaper a month will probably save you more money in the long run.
    Post edited by jcc on