This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need Help With Homebrewing a PSP

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
I just got a PSP slim off of a friend of mine and want to load some SNES roms onto it, but Google has failed me in helping me figure it out. Does anyone here have a PSP and would be able to help me out?

Comments

• I don't have a PSP, but this might be of some help:
    http://www.psp-hacks.com/
  • Very easy go download the TOTALNewbieasyInstallerPandorasmenu, then buy a pandora battery.
  • Very easy go download the TOTALNewbieasyInstallerPandorasmenu, then buy a pandora battery.
    The problem with that is that you need to buy an extra battery and memory stick, downgrade the firmware and then get some sort of emulation to play games that need the new firmware. It seems like a pretty big hassle to me.
    The problem with that is that you need to buy an extra battery and memory stick, downgrade the firmware and then get some sort of emulation to play games that need the new firmware. It seems like a pretty big hassle to me.
    That's the thing. It IS a big hassle. That's why it tends to be easier and cheaper to just go with DS homebrew.
    On the other hand, people who've homebrewed their PSPs say that it's better than DS homebrew. You just need to guess if the effort and time is going to pay off in the end, or if you should just spend ~$50 and be all set with DS homebrew.
  • You just need to guess if the effort and time is going to pay off in the end, or if you should just spend ~$50 and be all set with DS homebrew.
    That's why I just do DS homebrew. I figure that I wait long enough they may find some loophole so I don't have to go through all of that crap or I may find a first gen PSP at a garage sale in a couple of years (since that is where I got my new Darth Vader PSP). I would just have a homebrew PSP and a normal PSP.
  • Is there anyway to just use an emulator on the PSP without buying any extra dongles? I just want to be able to play Super Metroid on the go!
  • Scott...Scott, Scott, Scott...

It's all about the CycloDS Evolution, NOT the M3 DS Real.
  • edited August 2008
    You need a PSP firmware version, which allows homebrew to be used. If your friend hasn't homebrewed/hacked his you'll need additional hardware.
    At the end you want to have a recent version of a custom firmware with a 1.50 Kernel addon (for the sake of support for elderly/most homebrew). Maybe you could try to find someone around you with a Pandora Battery.

Beginner's Guide to Homebrewing.
    About the Custom Firmware.
    For all the PSP news. Otherwise go with PSP-Hacks.com.

For SNES emulation you should go with SNES9x for the PSP.
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • It's all about the CycloDS Evolution, NOT the M3 DS Real.
    What's the difference?
  • Read this. The Supercard One v3 does everything the CycloDS does for much less money. Something I should have looked up before I started writing.
  • Read this. The Supercard One v3 does everything the CycloDS does for much less money. Something I should have looked up before I started writing.
    I did read that, mostly. What exactly can the Cyclo or Supercard do that the M3 I have can not do?
  • If you already have one I wouldn't bother changing, it's mostly just small touches in interface. The M3 comes with some apps built into the OS folder which, If I could add my own would be a plus.
    The main reason to go with the Supercard would be in-game save states as well as the ability to load a txt guide in the middle of a game if you get stuck. I was mostly trying to point out that you should go with the Supercard over the Cyclo as the Cyclo is pretty damn expensive.
  • If you already have one I wouldn't bother changing, it's mostly just small touches in interface. The M3 comes with some apps built into the OS folder which, If I could add my own would be a plus.
    The software doesn't come on the card, though. I was under the impression that all of these cards are actually the same, or very similar, hardware, and that you can run the same OS on almost any of them.
  • None of the cards can use each other's OSs even though they are based on very similar principles. Even the R4 and M3, which are so similar they use the same DLDI patch, can't use each other's OSs.

I'm currently waiting till the end of the month to have my Supercard shipped to me (DealExtreme is short on stock but I've got my R4 to keep me happy.) so when it does I'll rewrite the first part of the guide using it as my cartridge of choice.