This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Venture Bros

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
Anybody else like them(the wiki)? It is the only show on television that I watch consistently other than Tim and Eric. It's very referential and it has a similar style of humor to Wes Anderson, where it's about failure, but with a lot more wackiness.

Comments

• It's one of my favorite shows on television. I've seen every episode.
  • I think the best episodes are the ones with Dr. Impossible in them. Stephen Colbert is the man.
  • I've had a friend that raved about this show and tried to get me to watch it. It's a very stupid show. I don't see why Brock(?) can't solve confrontation and problems with his brain without resorting to violence.
  • I don't see why Brock(?) can't solve confrontation and problems with his brain without resorting to violence.
    That's part of the reason it's funny.
  • Every character has a failing. Thaddeus Venture is washed up, his kids are sheltered, Dr. Orpheus is a lame necromancer, The Monarch is also washed up, and Brock is just too violent. Everyone is a failure in one way or another.
  • It's still a bad show. It pales in comparison to Naruto. Naruto will always talk it out with his enemy before doing any harm. I don't think shows like Venture Bros. are positive shows and should be avoided.
  • It's a nihilistic parody of Johnny Quest. :) Typically Brock comes in fists smashing after Dr. Venture, the "smart one" (mostly a reputation based on his father's achievements rather than his own), has done something incredibly stupid. It's got a lot going on, especially if you're the type to overanalyze things. :)
  • edited August 2008
    It's still a bad show. It pales in comparison to Naruto. Naruto will always talk it out with his enemy before doing any harm. I don't think shows like Venture Bros. are positive shows and should be avoided.
    I hope you're joking.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • It's still a bad show. It pales in comparison to Naruto. Naruto will always talk it out with his enemy before doing any harm. I don't think shows like Venture Bros. are positive shows and should be avoided.
    That has more to do with Naruto being an idealistic moron than actually using his brain.

Granted, Brock doesn't necessarily think before acting out violently at times but he does have an excuse, he has been ordered to kill in the defense of the Venture Family.
    That has more to do with Naruto being an idealistic moron than actually using his brain.

Granted, Brock doesn't necessarily think before acting out violently at times but he does have an excuse, he has been ordered to kill in the defense of the Venture Family.
    according to the last eppisode, he is not protecting the family at all. *Dramatic music* Bum Bum buuummmm
  • Every character has a failing. Thaddeus Venture is washed up, his kids are sheltered, Dr. Orpheus is a lame necromancer, The Monarch is also washed up, and Brock is just too violent. Everyone is a failure in one way or another.
    I love the look of the futurism of the thirties though the sixties, so this show is extra appealing to me. That the writing is excellent makes it even better.
  • It's the only show that I buy box sets of regularly. That pretty much puts it up there with Seinfeld as one of the greatest shows ever in my book.
  • according to the last eppisode, he is not protecting the family at all. *Dramatic music* Bum Bum buuummmm
    Haven't watched the latest episode yet...
  • It's okay but I wont go out of my way to watch it. At first I thought it was stupid and didn't want to because of it's Jonny Questness, but it grew on me somehow.
  • edited August 2008
    In the most recent episode(ORB) during the gramophone/sepia moments they made the music and background noise too loud, I had some trouble following it.

I also like it how they end the episodes, they leave a lot of stuff to just be understood. Like in "The Lepidopterists" when it basically ends with number 1 being killed, the resolution is assumed.

@JDParshall I think it has some seventies influences as well.
    Post edited by Magnum_Opus on
  • I love this show. I have a few ideas and questions about the series:

Who the hell is the mother of Brock's kid and what did Venture do to piss off the Monarch? They never show the mother but they have the kid show up twice and he ever flat out says he is Brock's kid. Dr Girlfriend tell her Murderous Moppets why she is with the Monarch but when they ask "What did he do mum?" She says "Nothing to deserve this."

I also really think Professor Quinn and Dr. Venture are really brother and sister.

I am going to also say that Orpheus isn't a bad Necromancer. In that department, he knows his stuff. He is an overprotective single parent. I also think they will eventually work his wife into an episode.
  • I think they explained the Monarch's hatred for Dr. Venture in season 1 (maybe two, I forget.) It basically involved something that Venture did to him at college unknowingly (I'm a little fuzzy on it, I should go watch season 1 and 2 again.)
  • edited August 2008
    The wiki says that the arching of Dr. Venture will be covered in this season. I really think they should have a bit more Dr. Orpheus.
    Post edited by Magnum_Opus on
  • The show really does need more of Dr. O and his super over-dramatic acting.
  • My favorite part I can remember of him right now is when he was searching for Dean and Hank's souls and he sees a guy dressed as a Roman soldier, or when he finds out what is in Dr.Venture's pleasure machine(I forgot its show name).
  • Dr.Venture's pleasure machine
    You mean the one that was made out of an orphan?
  • Dr. Orpheus's voice cracks me up every time he says anything.
  • Didn't Monarch set up an explosion during college and it was Venture who was given credit/blame for it?
  • No love yet for Henchmen #21 & 24?! They're the best!!!
  • Oh yeah, and Brock shared a room with Dr. Venture in college.
  • Didn't Monarch set up an explosion during college and it was Venture who was given credit/blame for it?
    I think the Monarch tried to kill Venture but he blew of Baron von Underbite jaw instead. Underbite blamed Venture for the accident.