This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Question of Copyright

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
I'm not looking for defenses or insults here; just wondering about the logistics and rights.

Some of you know that I brought shirts with a tentacle design bleached into them to Otakon this past weekend for sale in the Artist Alley. I have recently seen some craft tutorials on overbleaching (here and here) and thought I'd try it out. Given that I sell gamer gear, and also that I have a fondness for tentacles (we won't go into details), I thought it would be a cool idea to have a shirt that made you look wrapped in tentacles.

The problem arose when I returned from the convention. The shirts sold so well that I decided to put up a listing on Etsy.com for them. Today I got a message from another seller on Etsy telling me very politely that my designs were strikingly similar to her own copyrighted one, and that she would very much prefer if they weren't. Now I have absolutely no problem deferring to someone who holds a copyright. In fact, out of respect for the fact that her designs were on Etsy first and as a fellow artist, I have taken down my listing on Etsy to avoid directly competing with her.

My problem is that I think my designs are significantly different than hers, but I don't know the extent of copyright law. I mean, if one person makes a screenprinted shirt with a pirate ship on it, is it against copyright for another person to make a screenprinted shirt with a different pirate ship on it? We are both using overbleaching, and we are both using tentacles. I think my designs look pretty different from hers, and I think the clothing she makes would appeal to different situations than mine. However, I don't want to overstep my bounds here.

These are what hers look like: Hers
And these are mine: Mine

...thoughts? Anyone with actual knowledge of this type of issue would be much appreciated.

I respect the other sellers on Etsy, and it is clear that she had her listings up first. Despite my not knowing about her design, I do feel it is reasonable to avoid waltzing in and being an ass about my own work.

Comments

• Looking at it objectively with the links you gave us, it is different in terms of the style of the tentacles are drawn. They both have that similar "spray painted" background effect, which I could kinda see where she was coming from.
  • Yours are far more detailed, but sadly I have no knowledge on this issue. I'm sure one of our many lawyers will have some ideas.
  • JenJen
    edited August 2008
    I can't believe my eyes. Why are you selling t-shirts promoting tentacle rape at an anime convention? You should be more worried about setting the women's right movement back 50 years. Of all the things to celebrate from Japan, you decide to promote the worst of Japanese erotica – shame on you.
    Post edited by Jen on
  • edited August 2008
    Same concept but your had much better implementation. Your tentacles are more detailed. It's a coincidence that you had the same idea. You can copyright things but not ideas.

I'm just a regular person so take my 2 cents with a grain of salt.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I agree with Agiv, you're shirts have a similar idea but in the end they're two different shirts. Her complaint reminds me of when I believe it was John Deere tried to claim that colouring their tractors green was enough to constitute a trademark, they lost that one.
  • edited August 2008
    Thats like if someone copyrighted having yellow labs on shirts. It seems like such a generic idea that it couldn't be copyrighted. Maybe trademarked, nevertheless since it doesn't look like you stole the exact design the most could be that you saw her shirt and got the concept, idea for your shirt. That isn't what even happened according to you, so I would say that you are in the right.

Who is that guy who does Friday Night Party Line and is a lawyer?
    Post edited by Magnum_Opus on
  • edited August 2008
    I am a Dragon Ape. Feed me or I'll just do it myself.
    First I want to say PLEASE, do not make disparaging comments about either of the parties involved. I'm not looking for defenses or insults here; just wondering about the logistics and rights.
    If there's anything that makes people more likely to flame, it's demanding that they don't. People are going to do what they do no matter what you want, so I wouldn't bother.

Anyway, the only similarity is a thematic one. Unless your product is just a recolor of hers or uses the exact pattern, it's free game.
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • JayJay
    edited August 2008
    I would be surprised if any legal action could be taken against you unless you were copying a logo or had an indistinguishable product or near identical product to your competitor. Neither is the case here. If she is a reasonably smart person I would think she sent you the email because she perceives your product to be of a higher quality (which by all regards it is), so shes hoping you'll take your shirts down so she doesn't have to compete with you. As such has no intention of taking legal action. If she is a nut job and think her copyright can prevent all people from making tentacle shirts with overbleaching then she may attempt legal action...which would be something I'm sure you don't want to deal with. How much money do you think to make off these shirts? Is it worth the chance that she will hassle you further? *shrugs* I think your in the right and I think, assuming she's a reasonable person, theirs remote chance she will try anything. Though im sure when the lawyer types see the post they can clear things up (please dont prove me horribly wrong lawyer types)
    Edit: *looks above*
    ...So would a dragon ape be warm or cold blooded?
    Post edited by Jay on
  • First off, I agree with One Sin, asking people not to flame is counterproductive. Also, these are the FRC Forums, even though there's a lot of insanity currently in several topics due to the absence of Scrym and the FRC, we all still consider this forum to be an ivory tower and thus will post intelligently in serious topics like this one. In other words: WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?! [/Kamina reference]

As for your problem (I shall call it that for now), I agree with all things said by the other members here, same idea, different implementation. If we look at software, Photoshop - Gimp, Inkscape - Illustrator, Blender - Maya, same idea, different implementations. And besides, Chtulhu tentacles are different from octopus tentacles.
    I can't believe my eyes. Why are you selling t-shirts promoting tentacle rape at an anime convention? You should be more worried about setting the women's right movement back 50 years. Of all the things to celebrate from Japan, you decide to promote the worst of Japanese erotica – shame on you.
    Were you not the person arguing that older was better?
    I am a Dragon Ape. Feed me or I'll just do it myself.
    Bad One Sin, back in the closet.
  • edited August 2008
    Who is that guy who does Friday Night Party Line and is a lawyer?
    That's Thaed, but he (and every other lawyer) is hesitant to give his opinion in threads like these. Lawyers are almost always legally barred from providing advice for free or speculation on cases that they are not involved in, much like how Rym cannot speak publicly about the stock market or any other trading markets.

EDIT: I very much like your design, and I would personally argue that the designs are different enough that you should be able to sell your shirt without fear of legal action. Just because your techniques are similar and you both have tentacles as the centrepiece doesn't mean that she has a case against you. Sum 41 can't sue My Chemical Romance because they both use guitars and sing crappy songs about how much their lives suck.
    Post edited by Lusankya on
  • edited August 2008
    Lawyers are almost always legally barred from providing advice for free or speculation on cases that they are not involved in, much like how Rym cannot speak publicly about the stock market or any other trading markets.
    Huh? There is a difference between being "legally barred" and just smart.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • They're not legally barred, but they could be held liable for providing bad legal advice.
  • I'm pretty sure they can give it, they just have to be very disclaimer-y about the fact that it's not official legal advice and should not be used as such. I would not pursue legal action of any sort without official legal advice...the thing is, I really can't afford that right now. In fact, I doubt either of us can afford that. I don't think we want a legal battle. I just want to make sure I'm not being an ass by continuing to make my own shirts. In four years, assuming I actually graduate from law school, it won't be an issue. I sort of have "a lawyer," but that's a friend who has offered to help me out with things like speeding tickets and the like. I try not to exploit his help if I can avoid it. I will probably ask his opinion on this, at least in an unofficial capacity.

My only response to the tentacle rape comment is that women have the right to chose what they like and what they do, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, break laws, blah blah blah. Period. It doesn't matter the subject. Also, most of the people that bought them were women.

All right, all right, I'm taking down the request for civility. I just didn't want anyone hassling the other artist, just as I'd prefer for her fans not to hassle me.

I appreciate all the compliments on the design. Thank you guys.

Sounds like most people feel the designs are significantly different. That is the way I felt, but I wanted to check with people that don't share my bias as the creator. If I find that copyright is not an issue, then I feel I can continue to make and sell my product ethically. There are politics involved, as with any online community, so I'll probably still keep them off of Etsy, but I can continue to make and sell them guilt-free.
  • They're not legally barred, but they could be held liable for providing bad legal advice.
    I was under the assumption that their contracts usually included some sort of an NDA. My bad.
  • Not generally, but there are issues of ethics. Like, if I were on the bar in Massachusetts, I'm only ethically allowed to give advice on the laws of Massachusetts, so if you come from New York, I couldn't give you binding legal advice.
  • I'd just like to add that if you were to take all the t-shirts, jumble them up and then ask the average Joe to pick one of them as the odd one out, I'd guess that they'd pick yours as being different for sure. It would only be an issue if the two items are confusably [newly invented word] similar, not just associable.
  • My only response to the tentacle rape comment is that women have the right to chose what they like and what they do, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, break laws, blah blah blah. Period. It doesn't matter the subject. Also, most of the people that bought them were women.
    Ahh, you don't have to talk to the troll. She doesn't make for very good conversation.
    WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?! [/Kamina reference]
    ?
  • WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?! [/Kamina reference]
    ?
  • edited August 2008
    WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?! [/Kamina reference]
    ?
    !

EDIT: >_
    Post edited by Lusankya on
  • Like most if not all of the people in this thread, I am not a lawyer. However, looking at the two designs I don't see anything actionable. You both used a common enough technique and tentacles have been popularized well enough with Lovecraft and hentai.
    I agree with Lusankya that the designs are different enough anyway. Her tentacles are thin things that only come from below; yours are thicker and more detailed, coming from all directions, with bubbles.
  • Yeah. Fuck that guy.
  • ... yours are thicker and more detailed, coming from all directions, with bubbles...
    The way they should be ~_^