This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Irony lost on Bill O'Reilly and Fox News

edited August 2008 in Politics
Let me preface this with that I would have put this clip into the Things of your Day thread but I don't think it is the right environment for this and possibly we could get a good discussion out of this. I found a youtube clip of Bill O'Reilly going off about NBC and General Electrics. I haven't seen it before so please excuse if it is "old news":

iEAaKBNk0U8

Wait, Bill O'Reilly accuses someone else of being biased? NBC is supposed to be the first news network to use harsh language to describe political figures? NBC has violeted every journalistic standard, not Fox who, among other things, defends Ted Nugent who in turn wants to have Obama and Hillary Clinton "suck on his machine gun"?
Not to mention the factual errors and misrepresentations in this including but not limited to leaving out the fact that a plethora of american companies do business with Iran, such as Halliburton, or that in 2005 GE stopped doing business with Iran, only existing contracts, signed before the Iraq-war will be fulfilled but to a lesser degree.

No wonder that they need to ambush people they want to interview...

Comments

• It's Bill O'Reilly. Sooner or later, you might come to expect this sort of thing from him.
  • Of course it is nothing unexpected, but the video was filled with so much delicious irony, I couldn't pass up on it.
  • On the bias point:

O'Reilly is a pundit. He is paid to give his opinion, not to relate news. The editing of the Bush interview was supposed to be legitimate news and it should not have been edited in such a biased manner. If you do not understand the difference between shows that offer news and shows that offer opinions you will continue to see such ironies.
  • On the bias point:

O'Reilly is a pundit. He is paid to give his opinion, not to relate news. The editing of the Bush interview was supposed to be legitimate news and it should not have been edited in such a biased manner. If you do not understand the difference between shows that offer news and shows that offer opinions you will continue to see such ironies.
    O'Liely does not present his show as opinion, he presents it as absolute fact. He even goes so far as to present false facts (or lies, as some would call them), and continue to adhere to what he said even after being proven flagrantly wrong. Here, here, , and here to cite just a few. He never prints retractions or apologizes, and continues to repeat the same bogus 'facts'. Now, the fact that this disingenuous yahoo claiming to be reporting in a 'fair and balanced' manner and presenting these 'facts' is really, really ironic.

Also, your mechanic is a pony.
  • edited August 2008
    "In Malmedy, as you know, US forces captured SS forces, who had their hands in the air and they were unarmed and they shot them down. You know that. That's on the record; [it's] been documented" - Bill O'Reilly, May 30th 2006.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Anyone who takes O'Reilly as anything more than an entertainer is a fool. He may pretend that he's a journalist, but if you watch two seconds of the show, it becomes patently obvious that his primary motive is to entertain and be sensationalistic. Of course that's true for just about anyone on cable news during the evening. (Nancy Grace - I'm talking about you!)
  • Anyone who takes O'Reilly as anything more than an entertainer is a fool. He may pretend that he's a journalist, but if you watch two seconds of the show, it becomes patently obvious that his primary motive is to entertain and be sensationalistic.
    I agree that he's not a journalist. I agree that he might be marketed as "entertainment". However, imagining someone actually being "entertained" by OReilly makes me very sad.
  • edited August 2008
    Anyone who takes O'Reilly as anything more than an entertainer is a fool. He may pretend that he's a journalist, but if you watch two seconds of the show, it becomes patently obvious that his primary motive is to entertain and be sensationalistic.
    I agree that he's not a journalist. I agree that he might be marketed as "entertainment". However, imagining someone actually being "entertained" by OReilly makes me very sad.
    I'll second that statement and include most of the other cable news pundits. Except for Stewart and Colbert... Those guys are entertaining!
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Anyone who takes O'Reilly as anything more than an entertainer is a fool. He may pretend that he's a journalist, but if you watch two seconds of the show, it becomes patently obvious that his primary motive is to entertain and be sensationalistic.
    I'll second that statement and include most of the other cable news pundits. Except for Stewart and Colbert... Those guys are entertaining!
    I completely agree.
    1st sign of apocolypse?
  • Anyone who takes Fox News as anything more than entertainment is a fool.
    That would be a much truer statement
  • Jesus. We all agree. I'm ready to pop open a Coke and sing that dopey song!
  • Frankly, this is pretty de rigeur. Perceived liberal bias in the media is the entire reason why Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, etc. exist. They were created or they came to popularity as a response to media that was perceived as biased. They still believe that traditional media is biased. They also know they are biased. When he calls others biased, it's a blatantly political attack.

He's not quite an entertainer, but he's certainly not a journalist. He's a politican - not an elected one, but a politician nevertheless. And he's making what arguments he can make politically. That's pretty much the nature of media today in relation to politics - it's not a referee anymore. It's both the field of play and an active participant.
  • Jesus. We all agree. I'm ready to pop open a Coke and sing that dopey song!
    I'd like, to buy the world a Coke~
  • Is this the end of the Joe / Steve feud?

Will they make amends?

Will they live happily ever after?

Find out next time, on

FRC Forum Frenzy!