This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bittorrent...

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
I'm downloading a Starcraft torrent, and after 3 days I've only gotten 3% with my average download speed 498 B/s , but on my peers list theres a guy whose averaging 200 kB/s... My internet isn't slow, and I'm using uTorrent. Does anyone have any tips or anything to speed up the download?

Comments

• Open up a port, make sure your ISP doesn't block torrents and use Google.
  • How do I open a port? What do you mean by use Google?
  • How do I open a port? What do you mean by use Google?
    Go to google. Search for your question.
  • Check your firewall/router/ISP to see if one or more of them is blocking torrenting in general or utorrent specifically.
    I think he means you should use Google to find solutions, since this is a fairly common problem.
  • What do you mean by use Google?
    Oh for fuck's sake. And yes, use Google, or use the µTorrent forums, they have an entire sub-forum DEDICATED to fixing these kinds of problems, not to mention a gigantic FAQ to help you out.
  • I'm sorry... It just that i would rather ask a bunch of people that I think are intelligent then ask the internet...
  • YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY MY SPEED JUST JUMPED TO 60K/b WOOOOT
    I'm sorry BUT OH YEAH BABY!
  • I'm sorry... It just that i would rather ask a bunch of people that I think are intelligent then ask the internet...
    Protip: searching shit on google tends to lead to forums with people asking the exact same fucking question as what you searched for.
    Seriously.
  • I'm sorry... It just that I would rather ask a bunch of people that I think are intelligent then ask the internet...
    That is very kind, but kinda insulting to the people that dedicate their time to specifically help fix problems like these, i.e. the people over at the µTorrent forums. Good to hear it's working now though, have fun.
  • 60kB/s or 60kB/s?
    Can you find out if you have DHT turned on?
  • 60kB/s or 60kB/s?
    Eh, the difference between those being what Omnutia? Kilobytes are kilobytes. And DHT is turned on by default.
  • Yes, small b is bits, big B is bytes. Stupid but it simplifies things.
  • edited August 2008
    Yes, small b is bits, big B is bytes. Stupid but it simplifies things.
    60kB/s or 60kB/s
    However, those are both big B.

Edit: Just to clarify, I knew what you meant in the first place, but I'm being an ass about it. :/
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Yes, small b is bits, big B is bytes. Stupid but it simplifies things.
    I know that, I often tell people that in an attempt to explain why they can't download 20 megabytes of data in a second.
    However, those are both big B.
    THIS was my point, and THIS
    [B]ut I'm being an ass about it. :/
    was my reasoning.
  • I know its off topic but I'm so excited. Today I was trying to install HL1 on my PC with the CD. When I tried to start a new game it kept saying insert CD, so I went on the internets to find some help. On one website it said to use your key on steam to get HL1 back. So I did and then I got CSS1.6, DoD, HL:OF, HL:BS, TF Classic, and Deathmatch classic!!! Yay!!!!
  • ith people asking the exact same fucking question as what you searched for.
    Seriously.
    I thought that once, but I soon realized it was a rotten idea.
  • I haven't used BT in years and now I finally have an internet connection I can use it on. What's the best client right now?
  • I haven't used BT in years and now I finally have an internet connection I can use it on. What's the best client right now?
    If space is a premium, I reccomend uTorrent. I've never had any problems with it.
  • uTorrent is pretty much where it's at. Azureus if the extensions are what you're looking for.
    µTorrent for Windows and Mac. Transmission for everywhere else till they finish the µTorrent port.
  • Alright, I have an issue. During downloading, I'm getting MASSIVE upload speeds, on the order of ~200-300KB/s. However, my download speeds are maybe ~20KB/s. Is there anything I can do to tweak this and get my torrents downloading faster?
  • Alright, I have an issue. During downloading, I'm getting MASSIVE upload speeds, on the order of ~200-300KB/s. However, my download speeds are maybe ~20KB/s. Is there anything I can do to tweak this and get my torrents downloading faster?
    What you can do is to go into Options>Preferences>Bandwidth. Then limit the bandwidth that you may upload. Then your bandwidth could be reallocated to your download speeds. If it doesn't work, then you are downloading at the maximum that it is being uploaded to you.
    Also, be sure you have the port that µTorrent picked properly forwarded in your router. Not having port forwarding turned on can cut your download speed drastically.
  • Set your max. uploading speed to 80% of your actual upload, google about for Torrentfreak's connection guide, this thing also tells you how to determine the best # of connections for your connection. Port forwarding yadda yadda, enable encryption yadda yadda, use torrents with seeds yadda yadda.

Or just use µTorrent's build-in connection set up. Double click the checkmark at the bottom of the screen and select from the drop down menu your UPLOAD. In my case that would be "xxx/1Mbit".
    Then your bandwidth could be reallocated to your download speeds.
    That's not how shit works.
  • edited August 2010
    It could be someone was running a download while you were testing which gave you such a low download. Run the test again and make sure no-one'd downloading owt.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Someone told me to switch over from µTorrent to BitTorrent, because it would be better/more efficient. What a load of crap it comes with.... When downloading, I was presented with BitTorrent Plus. Alright, fair enough. They have to make money somehow, right? It was a bit odd that the 2nd message in the installer said they would never ask for money to download the client, but they hadn't explicitly, so whatever. Then, a toolbar asked to be installed. And my homepage to be changed. And my default search engine to be changed as well. I was getting a bit annoyed at this point. Well, nothing weird so far. After this, the next screen prompts me with "PC speed up". I deny it's installation, and finish the installation.

After this, bittorrent pops up as expected, but the "Speed up PC" installer comes up as well, even though I said no. I cancel the install, and a web page opens up, thanking me for downloading their software. I look at my new BitTorrent, and I notice an advert for upgrading to Bittorrent plus, permanently in my lower left corner. I also notice a "Like us on facebook" advert in the menu bar.

So yes. I'd call this a bit... bloated.
  • None of that shows up to me.
  • I've been using Halite if you want to give that a try.

http://www.binarynotions.com/halite-bittorrent-client/
  • Someone told me to switch over from µTorrent to BitTorrent, because it would be better/more efficient. What a load of crap it comes with.... When downloading, I was presented with BitTorrent Plus. Alright, fair enough. They have to make money somehow, right? It was a bit odd that the 2nd message in the installer said they would never ask for money to download the client, but they hadn't explicitly, so whatever. Then, a toolbar asked to be installed. And my homepage to be changed. And my default search engine to be changed as well. I was getting a bit annoyed at this point. Well, nothing weird so far. After this, the next screen prompts me with "PC speed up". I deny it's installation, and finish the installation.

After this, bittorrent pops up as expected, but the "Speed up PC" installer comes up as well, even though I said no. I cancel the install, and a web page opens up, thanking me for downloading their software. I look at my new BitTorrent, and I notice an advert for upgrading to Bittorrent plus, permanently in my lower left corner. I also notice a "Like us on facebook" advert in the menu bar.

So yes. I'd call this a bit... bloated.
    Looks like you've been had. Time to reinstall Windows.