This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A few questions about formatting and partitions

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
So, it's been about nine months since I've reformatted my Windows machine, and I think it's about time to do so, but I have a few questions. (Note: These may sounds like noob questions, but I don't want to take these for granted and fuck shit up.)

1. Can I just reformat my Ubuntu install from the Windows CD? Is there a better way I should be deleting/adding/formatting partitions then the Windows CD? I have Windows installed on one partition, and Ubuntu on the other. I'm making a completely separate Ubuntu box to play and learn on, so for now, I want to completely remove Ubuntu from my computer.

2. How do I remove grub from my boot record? I'm pretty sure that I need to rewrite the master boot record, but stupid ass Windows Recovery console says I have an administrator password, which I don't, so I can't get in to do a fixmbr/fixboot. I've tried a blank, a space, and every password I've ever used, but I get nothing.

3. When I install Windows again, can I just go into recovery console and fixmbr/fixboot then, rather than trying to get around the password?

4. Do you have to make a new partition to join two together? I'm almost positive you do, and it's not %100 necessary that I do that, I was just curious. I have a third storage partition that I was going to join with my old Ubuntu partition.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some help with this. Thanks.

Comments

• First off, back up everything that you would like to keep. Music collection, movies, podcasts, school documents, agenda's, contact lists, whatever. Now you can just pop in your Windows installation CD, delete both partitions on your hard drive, make a new one, wait till it's installed, ???, PROFIT! The Windows installation CD overwrites the MBR itself, this is often a problem for people who want a dual-boot with Windows and, say, Ubuntu. They happily install Ubuntu, but then have to reinstall Windows for whatever reason (cleaning up for example) and then can no longer boot into Ubuntu, which means they have to reinstall Grub via the live CD.
  • edited August 2008
    First off, back up everything that you would like to keep. Music collection, movies, podcasts, school documents, agenda's, contact lists, whatever. Now you can just pop in your Windows installation CD, delete both partitions on your hard drive, make a new one, wait till it's installed, ???, PROFIT! The Windows installation CD overwrites the MBR itself, this is often a problem for people who want a dual-boot with Windows and, say, Ubuntu. They happily install Ubuntu, but then have to reinstall Windows for whatever reason (cleaning up for example) and then can no longer boot into Ubuntu, which means they have to reinstall Grub via the live CD.
    I have reformatted tons of Windows installs, so I know to back everything up. Last time however, I made a separate storage partition, so that none of the backing up is necessary.

And thanks, I was under the impression with the googling that I did, that it would not overwrite the MBR, so that definitely helps.

Edit: What about the swap partition? Is this actually a separate partition, or what?
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Windows overwrites the MBR every time you install it. Linuxes only overwrite the MBR if you tell them to. This is why in a dual-boot situation you want to install Linux second, so that you use grub. Otherwise you will have to finagle the Windows boot loader into booting Linux for you. If you want to remove Ubuntu completely, just use a Windows CD and blow everything away.
  • edited August 2008
    Okay, this was the original plan, I just wanted to double check.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and do this, but is the Windows CD as good as any partition manager? Is there actually any difference at all when installing Windows? I apologize for asking so many questions, but I like to know so that I won't have to ask in the future.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
    edited August 2008
    Edit: What about the swap partition? Is this actually a separate partition, or what?
    Yup. Do what Scott said, "just use a Windows CD and blow everything away."
    Also, I'm going to go ahead and do this, but is the Windows CD as good as any partition manager? Is there actually any difference at all when installing Windows? I apologize for asking so many questions, but I like to know so that I won't have to ask in the future.
    For the task you are willing to do it is as good as any other imho.
    Post edited by ... on