This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Handball

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
Okay Euros...

Does anyone really play this sport? I see it every four years during the Olympics, but that is it.

Comments

• I want to play it.
  • It's a standard school sport in Germany and I have been to real non-school training a few times, but I didn't find the sport entertaining and always can't wait till Handball season is finished and we start with Judo.
  • edited August 2008
    The weirdest sport I ever saw on Eurosport was a motorcycle balancing event. Guys rode dirt-bikes over obstacles that required amazing balance. (Concrete pylons, logs, etc.) Never saw it since.

How about trampolining? Is that considered a real sport in Euroland?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I live in Berlin and on Sundays I juggle with friends in a hall that is usually used for handball. The 9 meter line from the goal is a handy playing area for combat or team combat, our crew's sport of choice. There are adverts about the city too, promoting the local handball team and the tournaments. I've never gone to watch a game myself, but it is on me and my girlfriend's "1000 things to do in Berlin" list. The list doesn't hold 1000 things, but it keeps us busy on our free days with trips and visits to things we wouldn't normally take time out to do.

I think Germany is one of the main handball playing nations, but it isn't something I've looked into much. I get the impression it involves running and jumping a lot, and I'm more into not jumping so much while playing sports.
  • edited August 2008
    Not that I know of. We have a whole "season" devoted to Gymnastics, and I guess one could do trampolining during that time. But our school, and most others, don't have enough money to buy one huge ass trampoline.
    But is it even considered a "real" sport in America?

Edit: Handball is just running around and passing the ball from player to player. You can't tackle, but can "interfere". Players are not allowed to step inside the semicircle which surrounds the goal. So one method of throwing the ball is just jumping into the circle and scoring in mid air. Thus you get the impression that you have to jump a lot.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • We don't play it in Britain but I think it's quite popular on in mainland Europe, well when I say popular I mean a 2nd or 3rd tier sport popular not football or cycling popular.
  • But is [trampolining] even considered a "real" sport in America?
    No.
  • Team handball suffers from the offsides rule. If basketball doesn't need such a rule, why do handball, soccer and hockey?
  • In soccer I find it very important since it makes the game a lot more exciting. You'd otherwise end up with players always trying to run behind everyone. This rule makes very little sense in Basketball, because the field is a lot smaller.
  • Wait... you are saying basketball is better to watch than soccer, handball and hockey?
  • Team handball suffers from the offsides rule. If basketball doesn't need such a rule, why do handball, soccer and hockey?
    Because basketball has the back court violation and the shot clock instead.
    Because without the offside rule in football every game would be reduced to having a forward standing around in the opponent's box waiting for someone to hit it long. Therefore it would be a boring game to watch, just like basketball is.
  • Because without the offside rule in football every game would be reduced to having a forward standing around in the opponent's box waiting for someone to hit it long.
    Why Doesn't this happen in basketball?

I can think of one difference, though. In basketball, there are only 5 players on a team. To leave on under the hoop would hurt you defensively much more than in soccer. But under this theory, hockey should not have an offsides rule.

But still... can't this person be defended against?
  • I'm now watching men play field hockey. In the USA, it's a women's sport.

I wish it was a men's sport here. It looks like it would be fun to play.
  • There was nothing I liked playing more than field hockey in high school gym class. In-line hockey was even better if you could find five other guys and an empty parking lot. Oh man, I wonder if my parents still have my hockey sticks anywhere....
  • The only problem with field hockey is that the sticks are designed so that you only use one side. I've never understood that.
  • I can think of one difference, though. In basketball, there are only 5 players on a team. To leave on under the hoop would hurt you defensively much more than in soccer. But under this theory, hockey should not have an offsides rule.
    There are many reasons hockey has an off sides rule, as opposed to basketball.

The main reason is that stealing is difficult in basketball. A steal in basketball is like an interception in football. Holy shit. As soon as the ball changes hands, players switch from offense to defense and vice versa. Even if you get the ball, and your player is down court already, defenders are already on their way, and the court is small. The ball is big and flies relatively slowly through the air. The play is possible, but it is not easy.

In hockey the play is trivially easy. Possession of the puck is much more fickle in hockey. Even without firm possession of the puck, you might be able to whack it down the ice to the person waiting to score. The puck is small, and it travels very quickly over a long distance. Offense and defense are much less concrete. The offsides and two-line pass rules solidify offense and defense in ice hockey.

Another thing is that in hockey you have a goalie. The goalie makes it possible to defend even when outnumbered. Even the goalie on his own can often block shots. In basketball, being a man down is almost impossible to defend against. Goal tending is not allowed, so they will just take wide open three point shots every time.

Much like the shot clock in basketball off sides rules are not something that people came up with from the beginning. They were rules added at a later date to remove "cheap" strategies from broken games. Games that weren't broken did not receive the rule fix.
  • Does anyone really play this sport? I see it every four years during the Olympics, but that is it.
    Well, Germany, and south in the Netherlands, but it's a rather boring sport imho though. I mean, here in the north we have an even greater sport, jumping over a ditch with a stick!
    The weirdest sport I ever saw on Eurosport was a motorcycle balancing event.
    That's not really a sport, just a show. Kinda like those monster truck 'sports'. It's all about giving the audience a quick thrill by making them watch dare devilish acts.
    How about trampolining? Is that considered a real sport in Euroland?
    Nope, gymnastics is though, but has no trampoline part iirc, I would name the 4 or 5 things that are put under gymnastics, but I don't know the English terms for them, other than "Ball".
    Why Doesn't this happen in basketball?
    It happens all the bloody time, defending team gets the ball and it gets lobbed to the other side of the field. Unlike football, handball and hockey, there is no/barely any play in the center of the court.
    I'm now watching men play field hockey. In the USA, it's a women's sport.
    Women's field hockey is more popular than men's field hockey here. And I too loved playing some field hockey during high school gym.
    The only problem with field hockey is that the sticks are designed so that you only use one side. I've never understood that.
    Neither have I, and the same goes for ice hockey, why are those designed to be able and be used on both sides? My guess is that with only one usable side it's harder to control the ball, thus making it more challenging. In the case of ice hockey you are ice skating, you move from left to right, having to control the puck on one of your sides then becomes dangerous on top of all the danger that's already on the ice. If you can use both sides of your hockey stick it becomes easier and you can hold the puck in front of you by alternating taps on either side of the puck. At least, that's my guess.