This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080818 - TI-8X Calculators

Comments

• The most cheating I've ever done with graphing calculators is creating programs to solve physics and math problems for my tests. Like, you just input your givens for said type of problem, and the program will give you the right answer, if programmed correctly. It was sweet. I also had a unit circle for math class. That helped a lot.
  • Got through the mandatory study hall. They should have let us just take another class no one ever really did work in them anyway.
    Happily, there was no such thing as "study hall" at any of the schools I attended. I can't imagine what a god-forsaken waste of time they would have been, and I probably would have just skipped them.
  • edited August 2008
    Got through the mandatory study hall. They should have let us just take another class no one ever really did work in them anyway.
    Happily, there was no such thing as "study hall" at any of the schools I attended. I can't imagine what a god-forsaken waste of time they would have been, and I probably would have just skipped them.
    In our school study hall meant "hang out in the library" or "go home". It majorly sucked for people who didn't have the study hall at the beginning or end of the day. It doubly sucked for people who did have it at the beginning or end of the day, but didn't have any non-bus transportation.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited August 2008
    Wow....just wow.
    I've had a first period study hall the last 2 years of high school and I really can't imagine not having it. Really, study halls, at least in my school, are a fucking godsend. And no, we're not allowed to come in late or leave early, either.
    But really, having a study cuts out potential homework for whatever class you would've taken otherwise, then it gives you ~40 minutes to do homework that you never got around to doing.
    Or you could just go to the library and hang out.

I don't see why you guys are all down on it, though.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I don't see why you guys are all down on it, though.
    We were smart and never did homework. Thus, for us it would be a complete waste of time if we had to actually physically be in school when we could be sleeping.
  • We were smart and never did homework.
    How is that smart? Are you saying that you were too good for homework or that you were too smart to put forth the effort to do the homework?
    How is that smart? Are you saying that you were too good for homework or that you were too smart to put forth the effort to do the homework?
    Smart enough to realize you could still get a good enough grade to be accepted to the college of my choice without doing the majority of assignments. As it turns out, I could have actually done even less work than I did. My BS and my job demonstrate that I was right. People who want to end up as doctors or lawyers need not apply to this method.
  • "Work smart, not hard." Playing the system is usually the easiest way to get ahead where you are otherwise a statistic. At school I very, very, very rarely did homework. I didn't revise or study for any exam except one (which I failed, so go figure). I also didn't wait in any queue for food at lunch time due to printing out the correct permission slips and forging a teacher's signature. I took lessons that let me skip laying sports outside in winter, knowing I would fail the class I took instead, but aiming for that as opposed to being tackled into the mud every Tuesday and Friday. Pretty much all my education came from reading books I found interesting, and I very rarely came across subjects in any lesson which I didn't already know most things about.

All this lead very nicely to the college and universities I wanted to go to, then on to a series of jobs that were exactly what I thought would be a good plan. Then I quit all that and became a professional entertainer.
    People who want to end up as doctors or lawyers need not apply to this method.
    Agreed.
  • edited August 2008
    I had a TI-83+ SE that suffered from the bad memory issue. Of course, I missed the recall by two months. I've been using an 82 ever since, but I'm eyeing an 89 Titanium for next semesters Analysis of Structural Forces class.
    Post edited by Lusankya on
  • Honestly, in my classes that collect homework, and classes where that if you do the homework, you really don't need to do much studying for the test (math, physics, stuff like that), doing the homework really pays off.
  • Honestly, in my classes that collect homework, and classes where that if you do the homework, you really don't need to do much studying for the test (math, physics, stuff like that), doing the homework really pays off.
    Imagine that.
    It depends on the school. Some the homework is easy repetitive problems. Some though will challenge you and actually help. Sadly mine was the later of the two and were just photocopies they found in some workbook. I just read the book and studied on my own and did good on the tests. My teachers kind of ignored my homework grades because of that and I got usually a B and sometimes a C if the teacher was not so good.
  • edited August 2008
    My teachers kind of ignored my homework grades because of that and I got usually a B and sometimes a C if the teacher was not so good.
    So, you received a "C" if the teacher was not good. I guess I see how that works . . .
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Mostly due to their grading system not being balanced correctly. I've had teachers that homework was in the range of 200 points and tests in the 100 range. They are basing your knowledge of the subject based on your homework rather than tests. Luckily this one only 1 of my English teachers that I had a problem with this.
  • Mostly due to their grading system not being balanced correctly. I've had teachers that homework was in the range of 200 points and tests in the 100 range. They are basing your knowledge of the subject based on your homework rather than tests. Luckily this one only 1 of my English teachers that I had a problem with this.
    That's a valid balance. The teacher is trying to give you a break by basing a lot of your grade on your homework. Also, it's not your place to decide that the teacher's grading system is flawed. She is running the class. You are the person whose performance is being graded, not her. If you decide not to do your homework and you get a bad grade in that class, it's your fault, not the teacher's fault.

If you don't want to do your homework, that's no real concern of mine. You won't know as much as the other people in your class because you're throwing knowledge away; but if you want to voluntarily handicap yourself, that's your decision. However, you should own your decision, be honest with yourself, and understand that if you don't do the work, you don't get a good grade. It's not a reflection on your teacher.
    Imagine that.
    I never did the homework or studied. Still made the grade.
  • edited August 2008
    I never did the homework or studied. Still made the grade.
    . . . and you think that Roman times came after the Middle Ages. Awesome.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I never did the homework or studied. Still made the grade.
    Define making the grade, just wondering...
    Honestly, I'm trying to pull for a 3.8-3.9 minimum this year. I don't have a whole lot else going for me for my college app, so I really need to make something stand out...
  • Define making the grade, just wondering...
    Honestly, I'm trying to pull for a 3.8-3.9 minimum this year. I don't have a whole lot else going for me for my college app, so I really need to make something stand out...
    Where do you want to go to school, and what do you want to study? High schools and guidance counselors are notorious for scaring people into thinking that college admissions are so difficult. Really, I knew people at RIT who had high school GPAs below 3.0. They didn't graduate, but they were accepted. You really only need the amazing grades if you want to be a fancy doctor, laywer, etc.

Show topic, college admissions.
  • Happily, there was no such thing as "study hall" at any of the schools I attended. I can't imagine what a god-forsaken waste of time they would have been, and I probably would have just skipped them.
    But that was comics drawing time!
  • Happily, there was no such thing as "study hall" at any of the schools I attended. I can't imagine what a god-forsaken waste of time they would have been, and I probably would have just skipped them.
    It was Yugioh playing time for me.
    It was Yugioh playing time for me.
    Trip to the mall and DDR time here. We had a revolving five-block, four-class day, which worked like so: Class A, Class B, Class C, Lunch, Class C again, Class D. When 'free' came up in spot C, you had three hours of unsupervised awesome.
  • Technically we could have "study hall" anytime we wanted, since that's what the cafeteria was supposed to be for whenever it wasn't lunch time. You could even stay in "study hall" all day if you wanted to.

Of course, "study hall" usually ended up being "do fuck-all hall," as others have already described. Man, I drew some of my best pictures ever while hanging out in there for extended periods of time. :3
  • edited August 2008
    Where do you want to go to school, and what do you want to study? High schools and guidance counselors are notorious for scaring people into thinking that college admissions are so difficult. Really, I knew people at RIT who had high school GPAs below 3.0. They didn't graduate, but they were accepted. You really only need the amazing grades if you want to be a fancy doctor, laywer, etc.

Show topic, college admissions.
    I plan on going to OSU. Most of my worrying has sprung up from word of mouth from other people (being seniors from last year who got denied) and by looking at OSU's admissions page online.
    Post edited by Dkong on
    Oh God, I tried that, down point being "You cannot pass the year if you do not have x stamps on your study-hall-stamp sheet. 20 every 6 weeks plskthx." Fucking horrible system. Coupled with extremely long classes it was horrible, seeing as one study class took one class period. I.e. 70 minutes (iirc, banished it from my mind).
  • edited August 2008
    Our "Study Hall" system was pretty epic. Everyone had 1 hour in the morning, before any classes started, to do whatever we wanted. We could either study, bring consoles to play games, LAN in the computer labs, work on our engineering projects, consult with teachers, etc. We were given complete and total freedom. It was amazing.

Of course, I went to an incredibly geeky/nerdy High School, so everyone knew how to prioritize their time.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Our school forces us all to use TI-83 plus calculators. For all the math that goes beyond that we have to use the schools laptops. Programming though is usually only done to save time, since every student is allowed to use a formulary in close to all exams.
  • Wow... my classes are 70 min., too. There are 5 classes a day, and as far as I know, no study hall. The thing is, 9th grade is still considered Junior High, and the are only 3 years of High School. So next year, I'll know for sure if I will have a study hall. I hope I do...
  • I suppose I should be lynched the poor condition I allowed my TI-98 to reach. I left the batteries in and...they corroded. he....he...he....
    *runs away*
  • edited August 2008
    My school sucked and made us get Casios. They were still pretty decent; I liked that they had colour, and I made some decent programs for it.
    I was even making a chess game until some tard erased it.

However, I let my screen get fucked over (big blotch in the way that LCDs get from physical damage), and then later on I lost it. I haven't had one for a couple of years of uni. I mostly get by pretty well without one, MATLAB is pretty good on computers, and you're generally not allowed graphics calculators for tests anyway.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on