This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Clone Wars or Crap Wars?

Comments

• Star Wars proves that story is everything. Back in 1976, George Lucas believed that too as he was making Episode IV. I want to know what caused him to reverse and believe style was more important than substance.

Also, does it seem that the recent movie has been marketed extremely poorly?
  • Also, does it seem that the recent movie has been marketed extremely poorly?
    I would say yes to this. I didn't even know the movie existed until I saw a trailer for it last month.
    I would say yes to this. I didn't even know the movie existed until I saw a trailer for it last month.
    When I saw the trailer, I thought that it looked like something from the bottom of K-Mart's dollar DVD bin.
  • This movie is supposed to pave the way for the new CGI Clone Wars TV series, which I think is supposed to start in October. Why they didn't get Genndy Tartakovsky to work on these I have no idea. He's the only one who has managed to do anything good with the Star Wars franchise outside of BioWare.
  • He's the only one who has managed to do anything good with the Star Wars franchise outside of BioWare.
    I only cross it out because I never played those games. Even so, why are they doing this bs? Just keep going with the Clone Wars cartoon that already exists, and is already awesome. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

They made 25 episodes of the good Clone Wars cartoon.

To put that into perspective they made 13 episodes of Droids and 26 episodes of Ewoks.
    When I first saw the trailer, I thought it was an ad for a video game, a very unimpressive one at that.
  • Yeah, it wasn't a great movie. But you should keep in mind that it was a kids' film designed to sell merchandise. There are a few good lines in the movie, but not much else. It was worth the $5 I paid to get in to see it, but I wouldn't have gone to an evening showing.
  • But you should keep in mind that it was a kids' film designed to sell merchandise.
    By the look of it, it even failed at that.
  • edited August 2008
    He's the only one who has managed to do anything good with the Star Wars franchise outside of BioWare.
    Am I the only person who did not like Knights of the Old Republic?
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • He's the only one who has managed to do anything good with the Star Wars franchise outside of BioWare.
    Yes.
    How can you NOT like it?! That's one of the best Star Wars games ever made!
    How can you NOT like it?! That's one of the best Star Wars games ever made!
    It was extremely buggy, the combat certainly didn't have universal appeal, and the moral decisions were entirely black and white. That's not to say I didn't like it, but I can imagine why someone else wouldn't.
  • Tie Fighter (enough said).
  • edited August 2008
    You are all wrong! It's all about Super Bombad Racing!

Sigh, I was really looking forward to this movie. I might still go matinee on it.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited August 2008
    My friend and I took his son to this movie. I was bored, my friend fell asleap, his 8 year old son said it was "the most coolest movie ever!"

I think this really speaks to both the marketing and the target audience of this flic. It is a Star Wars for kids, and it succeeds at that. If you are looking for more than that, you may very well be disappointed.
    Post edited by Gabrial Fox on
  • My friend and I took his son to this movie. I was bored, my friend fell asleap, his 8 year old son said it was "the most coolest movie ever!"
    I think this really speako both the marketing and the target audience of this flic. It is a Star Wars for kids, and it succeeds at that. If you are looking for more than t hat, you may very well be disappoins tt
    From that review, I'm glad I chose to watch Tropic Thunder instead of Clone Wars.
  • From that review, I'm glad I chose to watch Tropic Thunder instead of Clone Wars.
    Was it good? It looks like it has the potential to be good.
  • Was it good? It looks like it has the potential to be good.
    I honestly thought it was a hilarious movie. Quite possibly one of the best comedies that I've seen all year. I have yet to watch Pineapple Express, and I hear that was pretty hilarious as well.

However, I will say that I haven't laughed that much in a movie in a long time. It's pretty over-the-top, but also brilliant. The movie does not take itself seriously. Robert Downey, Jr. & Tom Cruise are hilarious. Also make sure you're there for the previews. They actually have made up previews that the characters did. I honestly wouldn't mind watching this again in theaters.
  • Sigh, I was really looking forward to this movie. I might still go matinee on it.
    I'll wait until it's free at the student centre.
  • edited August 2008
    Haven't seen the movie yet (and don't intend to), but I did like today's JLCM.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Seriously, I think that enough has been said about the Clone Wars now. Why not a TV series or a film about the life of Han Solo, for instance? Kyle Katarn? Or even Tag and Bink?

...Dash Rendar?
  • Or just a movie version of the fucking awesome animated Cartoon Network series.
  • Or just a movie version of the fucking awesome animated Cartoon Network series.
    Not even...I saw it, and I must say that Ventress is the ONLY thing in common with the excellent Gendy Tartakovsky miniseries.

I think that Shadows of the Empire would have been more deserving of a film, even a CGI film.
  • Or even Tag and Bink?
    I'd watch a Tag and Bink series. I'll vote for a Tag and Bink series.
  • I want more Old Republic era Star Wars.

The Clone Wars was pretty good. The plot is forgettable, but everything else works.
  • I want more Old Republic era Star Wars.
    I think the Star Wars MMO BioWare is working on is what you are looking for.
  • edited August 2008
    When I saw the trailer, I thought that it looked like something from the bottom of K-Mart's dollar DVD bin.
    I know! I was thinking "Wow, Lucas is finally going to work with a totally CG world! The acting and story might suck but at least the animation will be awesome. Not so. It looks like crud on a stick.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Mainly I didn't like that it was basically a 90 min long action scene, the style worked with the 5 min episodes but I just got bored as hell. And also I cringed every time that Anakin was referred to as sky-guy
  • I own the good Clone Wars cartoon, so I guess I could just watch that instead of this movie.
  • If you want to read a new Star Wars story, I recommend picking up the Force Unleashed book. The story is actually really good.