This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I am done with MMO's.

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
After trying all of them out I have come to the conclusion that Rym and Scott were right. -.- Now at least I can say with educated view on things that MMO's are indeed well lame. I just don't have time to level up my character, and get all the items, and knick knacks required for my character not to die every other battle. Now I'm going back to Xbox so I can play Civilization revolution..

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Not all MMO's are lame. Guild Wars is the best MMO out there, in my opinion. Level cap is 20, once you hit 20 all the content is up for grabs. There are 3 campaigns and 1 expansion. Play the campaigns, beat them and move on. MMO's should be short and sweet in my opinion. It's also free to play online. The PVP side of Guild Wars is a game onto itself. 8 vs 8 battles is were the PVP really shines.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Puzzle MMO's are the buisness.
  • knick knacks required for my character not to die every other battle. Now I'm going back to Xbox so I can play Civilization revolution..
    You should be playing Civ 4 instead on the computer!
  • Did you try EVE Online?
    You can have great fun in that without that many levels, you level up while offline, and you can make money while offline also if you're good.

I played it for a while, but I didn't get much of the PvP experience, which is the whole point. I'll probably play it more when holidays come and my friends play it a bit.
  • you level up while offline
    Why not just choose your level? What's the point of forcing someone to "level?" If I can level offline, then I should just be able to arbitrarily select whatever level I want, as the leveling itself isn't even interactive.
  • What stops you from just modifying your save game while offline then?
    Dude, MMOs keep everything on the server. When they say leveling offline, they mean that the game server give you XP when you aren't playing.
    Dude, MMOs keep everything on the server. When they say leveling offline, they mean that the game server give you XP when you aren't playing.
    Since I am far too lazy to look this up, I'll just ask. Have you guys ever done a show on the fundamentals of MMOs, like how information is stored, how servers are run, anti-cheating measures, botting programs, etc.? I know a few shows have brought MMOs up, but it's normally to bitch about them. Maybe you can make a Monday out of it.
  • Since I am far too lazy to look this up, I'll just ask. Have you guys ever done a show on the fundamentals of MMOs, like how information is stored, how servers are run, anti-cheating measures, botting programs, etc.? I know a few shows have brought MMOs up, but it's normally to bitch about them. Maybe you can make a Monday out of it.
    It's no different really than any other client/server model application.
  • edited August 2008
    Why not just choose your level? What's the point of forcing someone to "level?" If I can level offline, then I should just be able to arbitrarily select whatever level I want, as the leveling itself isn't even interactive.
    It is interactive in that you choose which skill you want to train, and once that finishes, you choose the next, etc. They're not the same as a single character level per se, though I did use the term.

The skill system in EVE emphasizes a steady progression of your character.
    However, it's obvious what you'd ask then is - why have this kind of steady progression?

EVE is a very complicated game, so I really need to think about this question though.

For now, I'll note that
    1) The complexity of the game is such that if you started playing with all the skills maxed you would be hopelessly lost
    2) Even if you start the game with all the skills maxed, you wouldn't have the money to buy the ships and components you would be able to use.
    3) All EVE skills have levels 1-5; the effect of the level increases linearly whereas the time required increases exponentially - hence your disadvantage relative to older players falls away quickly
    4) There is a legal way to buy another player's character with in-game money, so if you're very good at making in-game money (e.g. with trading), you can just do this.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • 2) Even if you start the game with all the skills maxed, you wouldn't have the money to buy the ships and components you would be able to use.
    If you're already letting players arbitrarily pick a level, why don't you let them arbitrarily pick equipment too?
  • I'm glad that you came to that conclusion, ratchet. I am so done with MMO's that if someone offered me a job to work on one, I would turn it down.
  • edited August 2008
    Nobody arbitrarily picks anything. The system allows players to progress in a way that is not simply decided by grinding within the game. It is no different than Ikariam (where Scrym appeared to praise an identical system). The system helps players feel connected to the world, and they can even change what skill path they are developing through the web site. However, Eve is also a system where a ship's equipment is more important than the player's stats/skill, so you use this experience system to plan a way to make maximum profit.

Eve Online is an MMO, and still runs into some of the typical MMO problems, and has an insanely complicated world, so it's definitely not for everyone. I do, however, have to defend a decent gameplay system when other people who have just heard one thing about it try to attack it.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • It is no different than Ikariam (where Scrym appeared to praise an identical system)
    Ikarium was a shit game, as we noted shortly after we started playing it. The system only works if there is strong skill component, and only servers to bridge the stark gap between real-time and turn-based games.
    I do, however, have to defend a decent gameplay system when other people who have just heard one thing about it try to attack it.
    I've heard quite a few things, and I still see the game as a waste of time... ^_~
  • edited August 2008
    The system only works if there is a strong skill component
    EVE has that.
    I've heard quite a few things, and I still see the game as a waste of time... ^_~
    Well, you can play it while spending as much time in-game as you choose, and you can play the game pretty much however you choose.
    Unlike other MMO's, you're not forced to grind levels. The only thing you need for your character to function is in-game money (ISK), and if you don't suck you can, like in the real world, do it through what might be called the 'exploitation' of others (trading). Better still, it's legal to scam others for in-game money.

It would be at worst a waste of money rather than time.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2008
    I do, however, have to defend a decent gameplay system when other people who have just heard one thing about it try to attack it.
    I've heard quite a few things, and I still see the game as a waste of time... ^_~I've tried Eve Online, and I wasn't a huge fan. I could understand why business-enthusiasts/sci fi geeks would like it, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Don't confuse what I'm saying with me promoting the game.I know I've got a better chance of selling a vacuum cleaner to a homeless guy than getting Rym to try an MMO.

I'm defending the concept of a game where the character progresses in a planned method even when the game is shut off, because it is not synonymous with god mode. When done correctly (like Eve Online does it), managing one's time means something else besides how long you can play the game.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • edited August 2008
    I can't stand MMOs...I tried WoW for about a week, got to level 15, and then realized I'd just wasted a week grinding and gaining absolutely nothing from the gameplay experience. I'll never play another MMO again, especially given the fact that I know a few people who are addicted to WoW or games like it, and it pretty much devastated their ability to interact with polite society. They rarely shower or sleep, and have been known to bail on group gatherings to participate in a raid.

The best thing I've ever seen to come out of a MMO is when trolls from SA or a similar site use free accounts to show users the futility of their grinds and time expenditure. Take GoonSwarm: They wrecked a Titan Battlecruiser in EVE that cost the guys who bought it the equivalent of $10000 hard cash. Maybe I'm just mean-spirited, but I find that hilarious.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I played a LOT of WoW pre-Burning Crusade. The expansion killed it for me; I was livid when all my gear was obsolete four hours into the expansion. That was when I came to the sad realization that I was shelling out way too much cash for nothing more than a waste of time. I am curious about EVE, and probably will pick it up to try it out. I'm not shunned off all MMOs, but I think it'll take something special that really grabs my eye to bring me back into the fold.
  • I played a LOT of WoW pre-Burning Crusade. The expansion killed it for me; I was livid when all my gear was obsolete four hours into the expansion. That was when I came to the sad realization that I was shelling out way too much cash for nothing more than a waste of time.
    That was it for me too. I started not liking MMO's when I realized all the things I wanted were always going to become obsolete. I really loved capture the flag. With the help of my guild and with hours(weeks) of non stop play, I got most of the PVP set. Then... later on they made it so you could just buy it. I was really ticked off by that. Guarding the farm and hiding in someone else's bear form was fun but mmo's will no longer take up my time.

• The best thing I've ever seen to come out of a MMO is when trolls from SA or a similar site use free accounts to show users the futility of their grinds and time expenditure. Take GoonSwarm: They wrecked a Titan Battlecruiser in EVE that cost the guys who bought it the equivalent of $10000 hard cash. Maybe I'm just mean-spirited, but I find that hilarious.
    They didn't use free accounts to do that, if I'm thinking of the particular event you're referencing. They've actually got a fairly well developed, well respected guild (read: corporation in EVE). They don't troll, they actually play the game.

Regardless, trolling in the manner you meant has the potential to be hilarious.
  • The only MMO that's caught my eye is Love. I've already posted it in the forums, but it bears mentioning. From the information that's been released I think it has the potential to be an MMO where a compelling story is created by interacting with other players. Rather like Rym & Scott were talking about in the most recent podcast.
  • The only MMO that's caught my eye isLove. I've already posted it in the forums, but it bears mentioning. From the information that's been released I think it has the potential to be an MMO where a compelling story is created by interacting with other players. Rather like Rym & Scott were talking about in the most recent podcast.
    I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that.
  • knick knacks required for my character not to die every other battle. Now I'm going back to Xbox so I can play Civilization revolution..
    You should be playing Civ 4 instead on the computer!
    Well whats wrong with Civ Revolution? It combines Civ with a German board game! But yes I must get that for the computer.
  • edited August 2008
    ProgressQuest
    I couldn't agree more.

"Executing a Stun Bear. Executing a Beholder. Executing an undernourished teenage sphinx."
    Post edited by Blarp on