This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

An Interesting Award

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
Back in April I started my new job working for a small business that is run by two brothers. We make plaques, trophies and other award pieces. Since I started I've put some very interesting things on various award and commemorative plaques.

Three of them I've done over just the past week. The first was an old deactivated and decommissioned bomb. It was for an explosives expert who recently retired from the air force (we're located a short drive from Andrews Air Force Base in Prince George's County Maryland. They are our biggest client.) I hot glued it to a base made of rosewood. Then attached an engrave plate with the guy's name on it and underneath it said "It's been a blast!"

The second was a plastic model of a glock pistol which was part of a plaque for a retirement gift for a firearms instructor for the Washington D.C. Police department.

The third (and one I figured you all would be the most interested in) was for a computer technician for the air force base who had just finished his internship. They gave us the internal hard drive from a computer and I hot glued it to the open space above where his name was engraved.

I never knew when I took that job that I'd be working with bombs, gun models, and hard drives.

Comments

• So you must be a PG county or D.C. local. Same here. Hi!

Any pics of the strange awards?
  • I hope that that wasn't a hard drive from the air force base, and instead was one that wasn't used.
  • edited August 2008
    So you must be a PG county or D.C. local. Same here. Hi!

Any pics of the strange awards?
    Yes I am a local. The boss doesn't allow me to take pics of them unfortunately :(
    I hope that that wasn't a hard drive from the air force base, and instead was one that wasn't used.
    I asked where the hard drive came from, it was just one they bought from Staples and gave it to us right out of the box.
    Post edited by MarcusNoble on
  • I asked where the hard drive came from, it was just one they bought from Staples and gave it to us right out of the box.
    They wasted a perfectly new and working hard drive? I have old broken ones! I'll trade!
  • We had the IBM physical plant put together hundreds of plaques from decommissioned token ring cards to celebrate the destruction of our last internal token ring network. I should dig mine out and bring it to work for a laugh.
  • The customers are the ones that will bring in items and ask something like "Can you make an award out of this?" So it is usually their idea and not ours. We usually have a "custom job" charge that applies to this sort of thing. Also I'm not sure why, but for some reason I'm not surprised that the military comes to us with these outside of the box ideas for awards.
  • Had another interesting retirement gift for the air force base. This one had the top , laser engraved into the wood "Congratulations on escaping Andrews AFB" (air force base) Then underneath it I hot glued down a pair of handcuffs. The official kind designed for police use. Then beneath is was a plate with his name, rank, and a picture of an airplane.