This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Comments

• That's a very good spot for The Velvet Underground and Nico, but I've never rated Bob Dylan in league with The Beatles. And as much as I love Nirvana, Nevermind doesn't deserve to be rated that highly. If anything, OK Computer should be in the top 100. Also, Superfly at 69? Really? Really? At 369, maybe.
  • And as much as I love Nirvana, Nevermind doesn't deserve to be rated that highly.
    I think influence on the state of music is factored pretty highly, and you can't deny that Nevermind changed the music world at the time.
  • Haha, Rolling Stone, that's funny. Also this list is very, very old.
    5 years doesn't even deserve one very. It barely even qualifies as old.
    5 years doesn't even deserve one very. It barely even qualifies as old.
    In internet time, that is 1/3 of the entire time its been around.
  • My bigger problem is that there are no live records, no classical albums, etc. you can't call them the best albums of all time - only the best rock, pop, and r&B albums of all time. Also, no love for the Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes?!
  • Why to Rolling Stone magazine start their lists at number one? It's just silly, I don't want to know the best album of time and then 499 albums that are worse than it.
  • What ever, i mean dark side of the moon should be before the wall.
  • I think that this mostly proves the fact that the Beatles are the best band ever.
  • What ever, i mean dark side of the moon should be before the wall.
    Nah man. The Wall is my favorite Floyd album by far.
    Either way, I'm a classic rock fan, and I strongly disagree with that list. I'm really not a Hendrix fan, and I think the Beatles are very overrated. Not a bad band, but overrated as fuck.
  • 5 years doesn't even deserve one very. It barely even qualifies as old.
    You haven't been on the internet very long, have you?
  • edited August 2008
    What ever, i mean dark side of the moon should be before the wall.
    Nah man. The Wall is my favorite Floyd album by far.
    Both suck. It's all about Piper, man.

Also, that list is really dumb.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • More Zeppelin!
  • and I think the Beatles are very overrated.
    You think wrong.

I will, however, say that there has been much other great music made since then. Some people think that there's been no good music since the Beatles, and those people are wrong.
  • This thread illustrates exactly why lists like this are stupid. Nobody can make a definitive list on a matter of taste...

...Also, Dkong is wrong. The Beatles are freakin' awesome.
  • More Zeppelin!
    Led Zeppelin bothers me a lot.
  • edited August 2008
    That list is rubbish, no Radiohead in the top 100? Dire.
    Post edited by foofly on
  • no Radiohead in the top 100?
    There's something they got right, for sure.
  • no Radiohead in the top 100?
    You're the devil, Rob.
  • Radiohead seems so cool, they did that whole "Pay however much you want for this album" thing a while back, and the music video for House of Cards is way cool. I really want to like them; I gave it an honest chance, but I still can't stand their stuff.
  • Radiohead is the most overrated band in history.

They're good, but they're not that good.

They're good, but they're notthatgood.
    Exactly how I feel about the beatles.

Right, except that you're wrong and I'm not. See how that works?
  • Radiohead are amazing, an epic live band and one that continues to push boundaries. I cannot fault them. Although this argument is stupid as it's all about preference.

Right, except that you're wrong and I'm not. See how that works?
    Exactly. I don't see how these people aren't getting it. The Beatles transcend boundaries of taste or preference, they're much more than that. They're a great divider that defines good and bad, right and wrong. If you don't like the Beatles you're wrong, and deserve none of the beautiful, transcendent musical brilliance that they have created.
  • If you don't like the Beatles you're wrong, and deserve none of the beautiful, transcendent musical brilliance that they have created.
    I never said I didn't like the Beatles. I just don't think that they're the best band ever.
  • edited August 2008
    No.

What the top ten should look like:

Strawberry Jam - Animal Collective
    Feed the Animals - Girl Talk
    Transformer - Lou Reed
    Madvillainy - Madvillain
    In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
    Nouns - No Age
    Slanted & Enchanted - Pavement
    A Lesson in Crime - Tokyo Police Club
    Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone - The Unicorns
    White Light/White Heat - The Velvet Underground

Not in that order.
  • Seriously, Bear Police? Seriously? I mean, I am fine with that being your personal top ten, but the top ten of all time? Those are very good albums (in particular Neutral Milk Hotel is quite awesome) but you have to admit that in terms of historical importance and sheer artistry there are probably better.

Come on, Bear Police. Come on. Bear Police. Be serious.

Bear Police.
  • edited August 2008
    in terms of historical importance
    I like to think that future historical texts will make reference to Girl Talk and No Age.
    That's a very good spot for The Velvet Underground and Nico
    Have you listened to WL/WH? It's a million times better. Nico always bothered me.
    If anything, OK Computer should be in the top 100.
    It has four good songs. Everything else is only worth a single listen. Kid A and Hail are so much better.
  • To paraphrase a quote about The Velvet Underground and Nico and why it's so important, while there are maybe only 1000 people who bought the album when it came out, every last one of them went on to become a musician. You could say that WL/WH is a better album, but nothing is going to compare to the impact of Nico.