This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Libraries

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
Alright. Earlier today I went to my local library and, to my surprise, they had CDs. So, I used my right to rent the CDs. I rented 28 CDs, all classic rock. Thus, I was wondering what kinds of multimedia information your local libraries have.

Comments

• A few of my libraries have audio books on CD, but no music.
  • Mine has a limited selection of music, movies, and tv shows.
  • edited August 2008
    Also, we have computers for use there.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited August 2008
    There is an awesome library in Palmerston North (NZ) in which if you receive a fine you have a chance to redeem yourself.
    With a plastic guitar.
    If you can beat the librarians in a round of Guitar Hero all of your fines are waived.
    Post edited by Blarp on
  • There is an awesome library in Palmerston North (NZ) in which if you receive a fine you have a chance to redeem yourself.
    With a plastic guitar.
    If you can beat the librarians in a round of Guitar Hero all of your fines are waived.
    Spelling mistake aside, those people sound like the most amazing librarians ever. d o_o b
  • edited August 2008
    There is an awesome library in Palmerston North (NZ) in which if you receive a fine you have a chance to redeem yourself.
    With a plastic guitar.
    If you can beat the librarians in a round of Guitar Hero all of your fines a waived.
    That's crazy awesome!!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • There is an awesome library in Palmerston North (NZ) in which if you receive a fine you have a chance to redeem yourself.
    With a plastic guitar.
    If you can beat the librarians in a round of Guitar Hero all of your fines a waived.
    I wish my library was like that.
  • edited August 2008
    Sorry about the spelling.
    Here's a link.
    The only thing wrong with it is the age bracket.
    Post edited by Blarp on
  • edited August 2008
    My local library has a fair number of CDs and movies that you pay $1 to rent. There are a few comics, but most of them are just collections of X-Men or other underwear perverts. A couple of weeks ago, I was up in Marquette, Michigan, and they have a pretty good library. They had tons of CDs (though not organised very well), and quite a few DVDs. It even looked like you could rent a full season of a TV series, like Firefly, for the same price as a movie ($1). It also had a good selection of comics and manga, and not just underwear perverts. The library had all of Buddha, some Adolf, Ode to Kirihito, Kurosagi corpse delivery service, Freddie and Me, The Dark Knight Returns, etc... That's all I can remember besides a bunch of Shonen Jump stuff like Naruto. Plus, they had tons of regular books that I didn't even try to check out, since I was only in town for a couple of days.

Paragraphs are your friends, not simply your friend. -Mr. Period
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited August 2008
    My library has books (along with the movies, CDs, and comics that are in every library now) that are cataloged on Linux computers. Go me!

We also have a kick ass coffee machine, conference rooms that anyone can take out (I and some friends used to use it for board gaming, but we'd make too much noise) and some highly underrated events (they screen about 3 movies a week: one new, one classic, and one family film).

I never really thought about it until now, but my library's pretty damn cool...
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • My library has books (along with the movies, CDs, and comics that are in every library now) that are cataloged on Linux computers. Go me!

We also have a kick ass coffee machine, conference rooms that anyone can take out (I and some friends used to use it for board gaming, but we'd make too much noise) and some highly underrated events (they screen about 3 movies a week: one new, one classic, and one family film).

I never really thought about it until now, but my library's pretty damn cool...
    I love watching movies with random people.
  • Marquette, Michigan
    You're a Yooper?
  • The library in my area has a great selection of CDs and DVDs. Most notably they've got all the Cowboy Bebop DVDs, the Cowboy Bebop Movie, all the Ghost in the Shell movies, and all the episodes of Azumanga Daioh.
  • Marquette, Michigan
    You're a Yooper?
    No, but I live right below the Upper Peninsula. I was on a camping trip and Marquette was just one of the places that I camped at.
  • Does is cost anything to rent DVDs or CDs?
    In most libraries in my area it's about $1 for a 7 day DVD.
    Cheaper than Blockbuster.
  • I've been to libraries that will let you check out framed paintings that you can hang on your wall.
  • So, I went to the library today an I got 30 more CDs.
  • I've been to libraries that will let you check out framed paintings that you can hang on your wall.
    Like what? Indie paintings or copies of famous paintings.
    A Van Gogh or Picasso would look pretty sweet in my room.
    Both. I had a space on one wall devoted to library art. The only bad thing was taking it back to the library.
    Both. I had a space on one wall devoted to library art. The only bad thing was taking it back to the library.
    I would love to have such a library near me, since I would get tired of most pictures after a month or so.
  • edited August 2008
    My library (San Ramon, CA) is pretty decent. CD's, Movies, and the like are all free, and there isn't an effective limit. The Rules say that you can only check out 10 at a time (of all multimedia items), but if you use the automated machines you can check out about 50 (I haven't tried any more). The librarians don't care, and even help you with bags and such.

Manga-wise, they don't have much stuff. Just your usual Shonen Jump series, with a few Kodansha in the mix. They have a huge Jazz collection, though. Huge. Hundreds upon hundreds of CD's, books, and even some LP's. It's pretty amazing.

How is the Library in Rochester? (I'm there in three days)
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • My library here has no manga what so ever.

But there is another one where you can only join if your 18. They supposedly have every German book ever printed. Even original works from Nietzsche and such. You just go there and ask for the book you want. They then either check in a huge tower next to the public building or call and order the book from one of the other 2 big libraries in Germany. You aren't allowed to take the books out of the library though.
  • The San Francisco Public Library system is pretty awesome. 26 branches plus the main, great multimedia selection, especially for DVDs, with free rental. In addition, it has incredible manga and comic selection. I have seen things in the SFPL system that AWO referred to as 'great, but impossible to find.'

Of course, a large part of this is because the system is ridiculously well funded - apparently we have the third largest budget among similarly - sized libraries in the country. But I'm not complaining.
  • The San Francisco Public Library system is pretty awesome.
    Sweet. I might be moving there next year. My local libraries are not so fantastic.
  • My parents are both librarians, so that's cool for me because they'll get something for me if I ask them to. However, I don't ask them too much so I only ask them some of the time.
  • My library is okay. They added more computers and expanded the manga/comic section so it's cool.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2008
    My library is okay. They added more computers and expanded the manga/comic section so it's cool.
    If I may sidetrack you for a sec, why did you change your name and give yourself a title? Personally, I think you deserve it and (not to be an asskisser) you are one of the coolest if not one of the ONLY girl geeks I know.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited August 2008
    Anyone can change his/her username at anytime he/she wants. Just go to your account info and you'll see it. I'd recommend not making lots of drastic username changes too frequently, though. Bear Police did that for a while and it got annoying until someone told him to stop.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I do it every few weeks....

Annoying?
    My library is okay. They added more computers and expanded the manga/comic section so it's cool.
    If I may sidetrack you for a sec, why did you change your name and give yourself a title? Personally, I think you deserve it and (not to be an asskisser) you are one of the coolest if not one of the ONLY girl geeks I know.
    You think I deserve to be a NEET? T_T LOL.

Really? There's plenty of geeks gals here. The list would take a while, but thanks. <3
  • I do it every few weeks....

Annoying?
    Nah. The keyword up there is "drastic" changes. You only add words to your existing username, which doesn't make it hard to keep track of who you are at all. ;)