This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Choose a VP already!

edited August 2008 in Politics
It's interfering with my work. Obama and McCain should just make a decision so it ends this needless and stupid guessing and stalking of people that 'maybe' it.

Comments

• It's all part of the political spiel. Obama supposedly has already chosen, but not told the public yet. I guess the Obama will ride on McCain's housing situation till tomorrow and follow up with their VP pick. Meanwhile I wonder when McCain will choose his "prick".
  • edited August 2008
    It's all part of the political spiel. Obama supposedly has already chosen, but not told the public yet.
    Lately, Obama has come across as an old-school politician. I suspect that's why McCain has closed in the polls.

Other than a text message, nothing about this process says "change."
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Obama also does not have any events scheduled for today. I totally want everyone he has vetted to go to the announcement, so the media cannot do the last minute speculation.
  • It's all part of the political spiel. Obama supposedly has already chosen, but not told the public yet.
    Lately, Obama has come across as an old-school politician. I suspect that's why McCain has closed in the polls.

Other than a text message, nothing about this process says "change."
    I don't see how someone picking their VP will necessarily have to change...
  • I don't see how someone picking their VP will necessarily have to change...
    It's about more than that. I'm just worried that he's lost focus of the message that got him where he is. I was an insomniac last night, and watched some reruns of the prime-time news shows. The overwhelming story was how Obama has lost his focus and has been suckered into old-school tactics. I tend to agree with the pundits. Even if they and I are wrong, it doesn't make for good press.
  • Here is the eternal problem with politics, you can try and stay above the fight but your just going to get killed. If you don't play the political game at the very least to get elected, you will not be elected.

Not to mention pundits are just out to make money and seem important. When the news asks "are we covering Obama too much" and then they go on to cover Obama too much that's not Obama's fault.
  • No one's making big news this week. They both know if they do something like announce their Veeps, they have to compete with the Olympics for coverage.
  • Or they could do both.
    Maybe Obama is considering Michael Phelps as VP.
  • edited August 2008
    Or they could do both.
    Maybe Obama is considering Michael Phelps as VP.
    I could already see the attacks...

EDIT: Oh, and to anyone who's saying Obama is "losing his touch" or is "falling into typical politics," did they forget about the insane world tour that happened one month ago? Sure, it may be advertisements and pointless coverage at the moment, but at least give the guy some time before you rebrand him.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • A week is a long time in politics, and there's still 10 or so till the election. And the next one should be pretty important all by itself - convention, VP, etc. It's probably not time to get overly worried quite yet.
  • Obama/Oprah '08

Seriously, people, you know it's gonna happen.
  • This just in: Biden is Obama's VP choice.
  • edited August 2008
    This just in: Biden is Obama's VP choice.
    Does anyone have this except CNN?

Edit: ABC News has this, which is pretty good corroboration.
    Post edited by rhinocero on
  • Excellent choice, Obama. Biden balances the ticket nicely.

Now, they are unstoppable.
  • edited August 2008
    So after all of the hype, the pick gets leaked just like any other candidate would do. So much for the text messages. Looks like a lot of people got suckered with that one.

I love this quote from Associated Press:
    "The official who spoke did so on condition of anonymity, saying they did not want to pre-empt a text-message announcement the Obama campaign promised for Saturday morning."

Guess what, idiot. You did.

I'm not saying that Obama will lose, but the though that he's close in the polls in mind boggling. Time to regroup and rethink the strategy.
  • How obvious could it have been? Old white guy...
  • The majority of politicians are "old white guys".

I think Biden is a good choice. Balances out the ticket and will leave little room for the GOP to attack Obama's supposed lack of experience in foreign affairs.
  • Is this the first time an announcement like this was made by text message?
  • Is this the first time an announcement like this was made by text message?
    It wasn't made by text message. It was purposely leaked prior to any text message - despite promises that it would be made by text message.
  • edited August 2008
    Well, I guess Mr. Eric's link was wrong when it said "Senator Obama announced Biden as his running mate via a text message to supporters on August 23, 2008." Maybe the person writing that article should have talked to you first.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited August 2008
    Maybe the person writing that article should have talked to you first.
    Nope. They should have talked to the Associated Press reporter.

I quote the AP article:
    The official who [named Biden as the running mate] spoke did so on condition of anonymity, preferring not to pre-empt a text-message announcement the Obama campaign promised for Saturday morning.
    Obama's decision leaked to the media several hours before his aides planned to send a text message announcing the running mate, negating a promise that people who turned over their phone numbers would be the first to know who Obama had chosen.
  • Some good analyses from electoral vote.com
    Barack Obama was raised by a single mother and just finished paying of the loans he needed to take out to get through college. His daughters get an allowance of $1 a week. Who do you think understands how much you are struggling through the Bush economy?
    Only $1 per week? Looks like Obama's daughters understand what it is like to suffer through an Obama economy!!!
  • Only $1 per week? Looks like Obama's daughters understand what it is like to suffer through an Obama economy!!!
    They actually get $100 per week, but are only left with $1 after household taxes.
  • Leaks? In Presidential politics? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tellyou!

No, a leak is not an announcement. Mr. Eric's article is right.

I'll bet that this is the first time such an announcement was made by text message. Go Obama!
  • edited August 2008
    Leaks? In Presidential politics? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tellyou!
    You're proving my point. It's just business as usual. If the text message was rendered meaningless as a result of the leak, then it's just that.... meaningless. Why you're getting excited for a meaningless gesture?
  • Is Obama supposed to start American politics over from scratch? No one expects him to do that, and he never promised to do that.
  • You're proving my point. It's just business as usual. If the text message was rendered meaningless as a result of the leak, then it's just that.... meaningless. Why you're getting excited for a meaningless gesture?
    Who said it was actually an official Obama campaign move? Some punk in the office probably found out and leaked it. I mean you can't blame campaigns full of volunteers and glory hounds for being leakier then the titanic after it hit the iceberg... Have you ever worked for a campaign before? I don't understand why you are angery about how it was leaked. If you had any common sense you would have known it was going to be leaked ahead of time.. There were Hundreds of reporters pestering a ton of people. Drudgereport thought it was byde because they found a factory printing stickers.....
  • I'm kinda sad he picked Biden. Biden is a strong opponent to domestic oil drilling, which I am for. But on the other hand, if gas prices go up, then more money will go towards alternative fuels. I'm torn.
  • Biden is a strong opponent to domestic oil drilling, which I am for
    Why on Earth are you for it? We've discussed the issue at length in the forum already.