This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A question for the atheists

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
After reading Jason's article about the atheist club I have to ask something.

Why does it seem that the atheists only go after Christians? I never see any atheists going after Judaism, Islam or Hinduism etc...

Comments

• Maybe because Christianity is the most wide spread and the one with the least fanatical followers? With wide spread I obviously mean in the west. And since when do Atheists go after people?
  • edited August 2008

Why does it seem that the atheists only go after Christians? I never see any atheists going after Judaism, Islam or Hinduism etc...
    That's what gets the press, when a atheist goes after Muslims, no one talks about it. Look it up online, you'll see plenty of atheists going after every religion. However the biggest reason is that American atheists tend to butt heads with the dominate religion in the area. Why go after the Jews when generally they ignore or care less if your an atheist...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I'll go after anyone, however Christians have the largest effect on my day to day life. If I lived in Britain I would probably go after Muslims.
  • Skeptical atheists attack all irrationality equally. Even non-religious irrationality is attacked, such as fake medicine. Any magical belief, or idiocy related to such, will be derided.

The reason that people think that atheists single out X group is because they are in X group. When atheists criticize muslims, christians and jews join in. When atheists criticize jews, muslims and christians join in. When atheists criticize scientologists, everyone joins in. Thus, if you belong to any of these groups, you will always feel singled out.
  • Because 80% of the U.S. population is Christian.
  • The largest denomination is Christianity. Ergo, we tend to sound off about it more often.

Also, because radical Christians are some of the biggest spreaders of widely-accepted BS that there are.
  • Because the American atheists you talk to were likely raised in Christian circles and know first-hand why Christianity is a great big bag of wank.
  • edited August 2008
    I'd say it's a combination of being an easy target (read: not allowed by law, in their main strongholds, to cut your head off) and being the most immediate adversary. It will probably take the least effort to make a dent in Christianity and with the increased numbers we can start work on the other people of the world.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    Many atheists are ex-Christians. People go after what they know. People go after Jews as well, but there are two main difficulties there. First, many Jews are atheists already, and those that aren't tend to be themselves or know well at least one person with a fairly in-depth understanding of their religion. Those people are much more challenging to work with, as the atheist may find that they don't actually know enough about the finer points of their religion to argue effectively with the person. This sort of ignorance is probably also the main reason there aren't so many people going after Hindus and Muslims. Also, you can't speak of organized atheism as a unified whole, as it's not. There are atheists in India, for instance, and they may go after Hindus, but their atheism is a separate strand with a separate history than the Enlightenment-era ex-Christian reactionary thread that internet atheism tends to be descended from.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • One of the many reasons is because some have been raised in Christian households.
  • After reading Jason's article about the atheist club I have to ask something.

What are you talking about? I don't "go after" anyone. I figure people have pretty much made up their minds by the time I get to them.
  • I would say the the reason lots of people go after Christianity is because it's a religion that lots of atheists actually know and can make arguments against without sounding stupid.
    The fact that many people in the US are Christian or christian-related-religion is probably another factor.
  • I would say the the reason lots of people go after Christianity is because it's a religion that lots of atheists actually know and can make arguments against without sounding stupid.
    The fact that many people in the US are Christian or christian-related-religion is probably another factor.
    I agree.
    Being raised a Christian and going to a private Catholic school most of my life, I know a lot about that religion, and very little about others...therefore if I do attack religion (which I rarely do), I usually target Christianity.
  • I attack what people do or did in the name of religion.
  • One of the many reasons is because some have been raised in Christian households.
    I just know this religion better because I was raised in it. If I spend 6 years going to a Jehovah's witness Sunday school I would know a lot of the stupid parts of that religion also. I just choose not to waist my time learning everything about every religion since life is very precious.
  • Clearly, its because God put us on Earth to test the purity of each Christian's faith we encounter.

Seriously though, I've never attempted to proselytize or convince others of my (non)religious views. I don't really care what imaginary friends some one wants to believe in, as long as they are aren't killing or hurting people over them.
  • Clearly, its because God put us on Earth to test the purity of each Christian's faith we encounter.
    If you believe in the Christian god, this is actually true. The Bible commands them to "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear" (1Peter 3:15).

So no Christians should be whining when they're challenged by us big, bad atheists with our hawd wittle qwestions. Buck up and do what your mind-control guidebook tells you and defend yourselves, pansies. If you don't, then you're disobeying your holy text.
    If you believe in the Christian god, this is actually true. The Bible commands them to "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear" (1Peter 3:15).

So no Christians should be whining when they're challenged by us big, bad atheists with our hawd wittle qwestions. Buck up and do what your mind-control guidebook tells you and defend yourselves, pansies. If you don't, then you're disobeying your holy text.
    Jason, I do not see you at big and bad atheist, I see you mostly like this :P
    I was an atheist Teddy Bear

• I heart you, too, Erwin. You had me at hello.
  • You had me at hello.
    This makes Jason a scientologist now.
  • Tom Cruise is a crazy son of a bitch, but I still love his movies.