This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Tale of Two Computers

edited August 2008 in Technology
My wife Carole bought a laptop this weekend. She doesn't like the older computer anymore because she says it's too slow to start. I replaced our older computer with her newer computer. I say newer because it is used. She wanted to get a used one because she didn't want Vista. Everything works great with that computer, including the internet connection. We have Comcast cable internet.

I inherited the older computer. I set it up in our guest bedroom. Everything works fine except the internet connection. I have a cable modem for the guest bedroom, but it won't allow me to connect to the internet from there.

I called Comcast and did some preliminary searching online, and it appears that I'll need to get a router. That raises a few questions that I haven't been able to answer yet even though I have spent some time looking.

1. Do the computers have to be networked? It seems silly to network two computers.
2. After a router is installed, will both computers need to "connect" to the router by a wireless connection?
3. Shouldn't I be able to connect a router myself? The Comcast guy I spoke to on the phone tried very hard to convince me that only a Comcast technician could do it.
4. Will having two computers connected to a router affect the connection speed?
5. Why can't I simply connect the older computer in the guest bedroom to cable the way the other computer is connected? I don't need a splitter or a router to connect the TV in the guest bedroom to cable, so why should I need a router to connect the computer in the guest bedroom? Could I possibly get another IP address and then connect by a cable modem? How would I go about doing that?

Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• You can, to my knolege, connect your own router, for I did so... but I had to do it while on the phone with comcast. They need to regester it or it will not work. I found this out after a few hours of screaming "I know I can do this, It's just a router!"

I am not super tech savy, so these are very generic poor answers... but I believe that a router is a better idea then 2 different modems. Just grab a router and only use wireless if running wires would be too big of a hassle. You can plug a few computers into a router, and the router plugs into your modem. I did not see a real drop in speed, but I don't normally download big things on both computers at the same time, but I immagion there will be a drop but I doubt it's going to be that significant for regular use.
  • They need to regester it or it will not work.
    Your router should have an option somewhere to "clone" a MAC address. MAC addresses are special, unique numbers that are supposed to uniquely identify each piece if networking hardware, regardless of make or model. By replacing the MAC address of the router with the MAC address of your PC, you can avoid talking to Comcast altogether. No tech needs to visit and you only need one modem.
  • 1. Do the computers have to be networked? It seems silly to network two computers.
    Only in the sense that they will be connected to the same router. They don't need to be aware of each others existence at all.

2. After a router is installed, will both computers need to "connect" to the router by a wireless connection?
    Yes, unless you buy some ethernet cables and connected them to the router physically. You can tell the computer to connect to a wireless connection at start up, avoiding having to do it manually every time it boots.

3. Shouldn't I be able to connect a router myself? The Comcast guy I spoke to on the phone tried very hard to convince me that only a Comcast technician could do it.
    Yeah, you should. I connected mine by myself! There may always be some unforeseen issues I can't predict though.

No, usually most routers can do 10/100 Mbps. This is much faster than your connection is, probably. The only time you'll see a change in your speed is if both computers are using the connection at the same time and even then it will only be minor, unless both are doing some heavy downloading/uploading.

5. Why can't I simply connect the older computer in the guest bedroom to cable the way the other computer is connected? I don't need a splitter or a router to connect the TV in the guest bedroom to cable, so why should I need a router to connect the computer in the guest bedroom? Could I possibly get another IP address and then connect by a cable modem? How would I go about doing that?
    Honestly, I have no idea.
  • edited August 2008
    ... I have a cable modem for the guest bedroom, but it won't allow me to connect to the internet from there.
    Am I to understand from this that you have two cable modems?
    Post edited by Jameskun on
  • ... I have a cable modem for the guest bedroom, but it won't allow me to connect to the internet from there.
    Am I to understand from this that you have two cable modems?
    Yes.
  • edited August 2008
    You don't need two cable modems. Hook up the router like this:
    Both computers connect to the router. The router (as pictured) will have several spots to hook up CAT5 cables to run to computers.
    From there, setting up Internet access to both computers is a matter of changing your TCP/IP settings.

If you want to hook up one of the computers wirelessly (you must have either a modern laptop or a tower with a wireless card), you can do it this way:
    Just think of the router as a hard-core cable splitter.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Yes.
    Two cables BOXES or two cable MODEMS?

The latter is an incredibly silly situation. The former won't help you.

Where did you get this second cable modem? Did they provide it?
    Cable TV is just broadcast. The signal is on every part of the wire, and all your cable box does is read it. You can split that signal as much as you want.

Internet connections are not like that. What you seem to want to do is the wrong way to go about this, and will very likely not work. Just buy a router, connect it to your single cable MODEM, and then connect both PCs to it. Any other solution is incorrect.
  • That's helpful. It's just what I thought it should look like. However, the computers are in different rooms. Can one be connected to the router by cable and the other be connected wirelessly?
    Yes.
  • edited August 2008
    Yes.
    Two cables BOXES or two cable MODEMS?

The latter is an incredibly silly situation. The former won't help you.

Where did you get this second cable modem?
    I have two cable modems.

As for where I got it, I honestly don't know. I found it when I was looking for a router among my collection of old, unused electronic stuff. I was pretty sure I had a router, but I found this modem instead.

Why do you ask? Am I not allowed to have it?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Even though all questions have been answered, I'll try to give some more information.

1. Do the computers have to be networked? It seems silly to network two computers.
    They don't have to. Networking computers (where they know about each other) is optional, if you network the computers you will be able to move data between the two computers without the hassle of plugin in a usb stick and using that as transfer. Personally I don't and wouldn't bother with networking them.
    As has been told you can use wires, downside of wires is that either they lie on the floor and prevent doors from closing, or you need to drill holes in your walls and pull them through there. Downside of wireless is that the connection is less reliable and you can sometimes not get on the internet if you are very unlucky.
    Guess why he was trying to convince you. Driving costs, installation costs, router costs, hourly costs. They make a nice buck of installing routers in people's houses. It's very easy to install a router once you have done it once.
    You will still have the same download and upload speed as you always had, now however two computers will be using it at the same moment when both run, so if one computer is downloading a lot of data, the other computer will have less bandwidth for it's activities. This is a big problem if you have idiots/bastards as housemates who refuse to turn down their torrent limits and thus suck up all of the house's bandwidth. At least I've gotten my little brother to set those limits to half of our max upload (download I don't care about, it's 2mB/s tops, and even Steam doesn't get that high.
    As Rym said, TV is broadcast. When you change the channel on your TV all you are doing is telling the TV to display the information it is getting on another frequency on the same cable. In other words, your TV is receiving every channel at all times, whether you are watching it or not. So you can just plug a TV in a cable box in you house, and it will receive all the channels too. This is not the case with cable internet. You need to request data, and thus be able to be addressed via an IP address. Your idea of getting a second modem, and thus having to get a second subscription so that you have a second IP address for the second computer, is very silly, and costs a lot, if it works at all. And you would not be able to connect a third computer/laptop to the internet. This is why there are routers, these just take your one subscription and allow multiple computers and laptops to use it to connect to the internet.

I hope all of this makes sense and clears up some more information. If not, then it is again proven that I suck at explaining most things.
    I have two cable modems.

As for where I got it, I honestly don't know. I found it when I was looking for a router among my collection of old, unused electronic stuff. I was pretty sure I had a router, but I found this modem instead.

You are allowed to have it. My guess is that it is the modem of your previous internet connection. Probably from your previous house, no?
  • edited August 2008

Have you ever switched your IP in the past? The second router might have been from another company and for some reason won't work with your current IP. It doesn't really matter though because you should just use a router.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • As for where I got it, I honestly don't know. I found it when I was looking for a router among my collection of old, unused electronic stuff. I was pretty sure I had a router, but I found this modem instead.
    Have you ever switched IP in the past? The second router might have been from another company and for some reason won't work with your current IP. It doesn't really matter though because you should just use a router.
    Even if it was the same exact modem, it still wouldn't work, because that's not how cable modems work.
  • edited August 2008
    Your idea of getting a second modem, and thus having to get a second subscription so that you have a second IP address for the second computer, is very silly, and costs a lot, if it works at all. And you would not be able to connect a third computer/laptop to the internet. This is why there are routers, these just take your one subscription and allow multiple computers and laptops to use it to connect to the internet.
    I appreciate your comment. As an explanation, I don't have to get a second modem. I would have to get a router. So, what I wanted to do by hooking both of the computers up to their own modems is not exactly silly because I'd be using stuff that I already have. I wouldn't need to get anything new. Further, it is highly unlikely that we will ever want a third internet computer in our current apartment, so that's not really a consideration.

Other than that, I really found your comment to be enlightening. I can see now why the internet connection wouldn't be the same as the TV connection. I was very suspicious of the Comcast guy when he said that they were different and then couldn't tell me why.
    You are allowed to have it. My guess is that it is the modem of your previous internet connection. Probably from your previous house, no?
    Probably. We moved a couple of times in the last few years and it was probably jetsam that came along for the ride. I wish I knew where that router was, though. I just know I have a router somewhere . . .

I had the router because I needed it when I had my office in Louisville. Three of us shared space and there were five computers that were using the same broadband connection. I had a tech guy come to set it up. That's the reason I am a little cautious about trying to set one up myself. He took nearly an entire day to get it correctly configured.
    edited August 2008
    So, what I wanted to do by hooking both of the computers up to their own modems is not exactly silly because I'd be using stuff that I already have.
    Even if it was the same exact modem, it still wouldn't work, because that's not how cable modems work.
    No seriously, it's a silly idea. True, you have a modem (I did not know this when I had written that, and had not fixed it after refreshing-before-posting), you'd still have to get a subscription for a second IP address. Look at it this way, with a router you will be able to expand, or let visitors use your internet without them filling your computer with viruses. I don't really know how to explain this one though, my knowledge of modems is very little and I never really thought about it.
    I was very suspicious of the Comcast guy when he said that they were different and then couldn't tell me why.
    It's not that easy to explain, and call centre people only really have answers to more common questions. I don't think I could've explained it easily, or made a decent explanation had I not been able to ramp off Rym's broadcast comment.

EDIT:
    I had the router because I needed it when I had my office in Louisville. Three of us shared space and there were five computers that were using the same broadband connection. I had a tech guy come to set it up. That's the reason I am a little cautious about trying to set one up myself. He took nearly an entire day to get it correctly configured.
    Setting it up can indeed be a bit of a hassle, the router we have here took quite some time (over a long period) to set up to the point it is now. However, setting up the basics with minimum security is not that hard, and should not take an entire day really. Hopefully you can find it and get it set up.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Why do you ask? Am I not allowed to have it?
    The surprise here is that cable modems are generally expensive, and the cable companies only lease it to you with the connection. Usually if you fail to return the modem they charge quite a bit to "buy" it.

If you do find the router you are looking for, and it does not support wireless, I would recommend just getting a new one. Setup the working cable modem in the spare room with your computer, and hook it up to the wireless router. The old computer can sit there on a wired connection, and your laptop will have the freedom to roam around the house.

Remember to be a good citizen in your community and leave encryption off so that others can leech your internet when they drive by ;)
  • Setup the working cable modem in the spare room with your computer, and hook it up to the wireless router. The old computer can sit there on a wired connection, and your laptop will have the freedom to roam around the house.
    Both computers are laptops. Does that matter?
  • edited August 2008
    A $30 wireless router should solve your problem if both laptops are less than a couple years old. They'll just connect via wifi.

Wire -----> Cable modem ----> Router -----> stick it in a closet and go play online.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Setup the working cable modem in the spare room with your computer, and hook it up to the wireless router. The old computer can sit there on a wired connection, and your laptop will have the freedom to roam around the house.
    If both have wireless cards, then just use them both that way. Gives you the freedom to move around with both machines, and the freedom to put the wireless router where is most convenient for good wireless coverage.
    No. Most laptops can use wired or wireless. You can switch them around all willy nilly. Both on wireless. Then plug one into the wire, while it's still on, to get some extra speed. Then just unplug it from the wire to go back on wireless. No rebooting, no clicking, just plug them in and unplug them at will.
    This shouldn't matter at all. As long as you have an ethernet port on the laptop you want connected with a wired connection, it should be fine. Then, just connect to the routers wireless connection with your other laptop.

As for comcast having to add it on their end, afaik, all they have to do is send a reset signal to the router. That's what I was told by a local tech anyway.
  • As for comcast having to add it on their end, afaik, all they have to do is send a reset signal to the router. That's what I was told by a local tech anyway.
    Usually no need to call the cable company for this, just power off the modem for a minute before connecting to the router. This is important though, as the router will remember the mac address of the computer last connected, and generally will not allow another machine to connect through until after a long timeout. There are some setups (none that I have had to deal with luckily) that even this will not work, and you have to use the "mac address clone" feature of the router to have the router use the same mac address as the computer you have connected. From the sounds of things since you were able to upgrade your machine and get online, you won't have that problem.
  • Why do you ask? Am I not allowed to have it?
    The surprise here is that cable modems are generally expensive, and the cable companies only lease it to you with the connection. Usually if you fail to return the modem they charge quite a bit to "buy" it.
    Actually, modems are surprisingly cheap for the business, but the issue is that they have to be bought in large quantities. Here at the telco I work for, we use Motorola products almost exclusively. A Surfboard modem costs us in the range of $50-$60, but they have to be purchased pre-configured from Motorola; uploading our own firmware onto the modems would void the warranty. Because of that, we bill $75 for missing equipment, the difference taken as an 'inconvenience charge'.
  • Actually, modems are surprisingly cheap for the business, but the issue is that they have to be bought in large quantities. Here at the telco I work for, we use Motorola products almost exclusively. A Surfboard modem costs us in the range of $50-$60, but they have to be purchased pre-configured from Motorola; uploading our own firmware onto the modems would void the warranty. Because of that, we bill $75 for missing equipment, the difference taken as an 'inconvenience charge'.
    Well, expensive is relative. ;) Last time I actually paid attention to the price on the contract it was something like $250 for a $50 modem.
  • I appreciate all your comments, but I have a couple of followup questions.

The guest room laptop is a Compaq 2200 that I bought in 2005. It has wireless capability and I used it exclusively with a wireless connection for the first year I owned it. I can connect to an unsecured wireless signal from the guest bedroom, but the signal strength is low. Would a wireless router improve that signal strength? Would it be possible to get a wireless router for that computer and leave the entire setup of Carole's alone, that is, could I simply get a wireless router for the guest room computer and pick up wireless signals in range? If I did this, would I have to change the TCP/IP address? Would I have to change the TCP/IP address in Jason's setup depicted here?
  • Wait, if you don't have a router, what are you connecting to wirelessly?
  • Wait, if you don't have a router, what are you connecting to wirelessly?
    There's an unsecured signal in range. As I said, it's very unreliable and I don't want to use it since I don't really trust it.
  • There's an unsecured signal in range. As I said, it's very unreliable and I don't want to use it since I don't really trust it.
    A wireless router will be much better in your house. Don't worry about IP addresses or anything like that. The router will take care of everything. It is stupid easy to setup. Just buy a Linksys WRT54G.
  • The guest room laptop is a Compaq 2200 that I bought in 2005. It has wireless capability and I used it exclusively with a wireless connection for the first year I owned it. I can connect to an unsecured wireless signal from the guest bedroom, but the signal strength is low. Would a wireless router improve that signal strength? Would it be possible to get a wireless router for that computer and leave the entire setup of Carole's alone, that is, could I simply get a wireless router for the guest room computer and pick up wireless signals in range?
    Yes, wireless in your own home will work much better, ignore the signal that you can pickup. You will need to change the setup of the other computer, but you do not have change that machine to use wireless. Basically just unplug the computer from the cable modem, and plug it into the new router lan port. Plug the router wan port into the cable modem. There should be no noticeable difference for that computer unless you are doing something like running a server or playing certain games. In fact, it should provide some better security then directly connecting to the modem.
  • I agree with Scott on this one, and I'd offer to send you a router if it wasn't cheaper just to go out and buy one. Just make sure to reset the modem, and secure your wireless network (if you want).

You don't want a tech coming around and poking at stuff. They really overcharge you, and do simple things that you could accomplish alone. Believe me, I am that tech.
  • edited September 2008
    Update: I went to Best Buy, bought a router, hooked it up, and was AMAZED at how easy it was to get everything running properly. Thank you for all your comments.