This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Last Guy

edited August 2008 in Video Games
Has anyone had a chance to download and play the PS3 demo for "The Last Guy". I'm totally in love with this little downloadable game and I can't wait for the North American release to hit.

I encourage any PS3 owners to take the time to check this one out.

PS - the music is awesome too.

Comments

• I don't know anything about that, but I always found is amusing how kids all over the country (and probably all over the English-speaking world) somehow had a uniform video game vocabulary that defied the "official" language. It wasn't an "end boss", it was "the last guy". It wasn't a "1-up", it was a "free man". Actually, that's all I've got. But I'm sure there's more.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't know anything about that, but I always found is amusing how kids all over the country (and probably all over the English-speaking world) somehow had a uniform video game vocabulary that defied the "official" language. It wasn't an "end boss", it was "the last guy". It wasn't a "1-up", it was a "free man". Actually, that's all I've got. But I'm sure there's more.
    My cousins never say "level" or "world", or even "stage". They say "board". Here's an example.

"This Mario game is so hard, I can't beat the first board!"
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • "This Mario game is so hard, I can't beat the first board!"
    Wow -- I never heard that one. Is that a descendant of tabletop gaming or something?
  • "This Mario game is so hard, I can't beat the first board!"
    Wow -- I never heard that one. Is that a descendant of tabletop gaming or something?
    When I was a kid, I referred to them as "boards" as well. Not really sure where it was from.
  • I say extra life instead of free man or 1up.
  • I just always called them 'lifes'. Never properly pluralized. Just 'lifes'.
    "Does this game count zero lifes?"
    "Ahh man, I don't have enough lifes!"
    "FREE LIFE! FREE LIFE! GRAB ITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!"
  • RymRym
    edited August 2008
    "Board" was part of the early nomenclature for videogame design that has largely fallen out of use. Board, level, stage, area, world, etc: the fine distinctions have long since become irrelevant. Board 1, Level 3, Stage 1, Area X would refer to a very specific part of the game. "World" was added to common usage later, "level and stage" flip-flopped a few times, and eventually the whole thing fell apart.

If you read old Nintendo developer articles, you'll see "board" used frequently.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • To bring this baby back on track...I just heard that the full version is coming out Thursday for approx. $10.00
  • Where can I find old Nintendo developer articles?
  • ...and we're derailed once again...
  • *Not necessarily a bad thing*
  • ...and we're derailed once again...
    I wish I could find Rym's picture of the derailed train. That is one hilarious image.