This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Difference Between College and University in the US?

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
I just wanted to know what the difference is between College and University in the US. In Canada, College is generally for hands on schooling, where as University is more theory. College here, tends to be good for skilled trades and Engineering.

Comments

• RymRym
    edited August 2008
    A college offers undergraduate programs, while a university offers both undergraduate and graduate programs. A university of comprised (almost always) of multiple colleges (sometimes called schools).

In general, universities tend to be larger and have more prestigious programs as well.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • There really isn't. They're both institutions of higher learning. A University, I believe, is an institution that includes regular colleges as well as a medical school and a law school. Universities, due mostly to size, tend to have more options in their curriculum.
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    In theory a university is a union of colleges, that is, a group of colleges who have pooled together their resources to build and maintain things which would be useful to all of them, such as large research libraries. In practice, a university is often simply a larger college that offers doctoral degrees. Schools which focus primarily on Engineering are usually called "Institutes of Technology" (although not always). Trade school training is usually done at places called "community colleges", which offer two-year programs instead of the standard college four-year. Community colleges also often play the role of inexpensive feeder schools for transfering to four year schools (since the first two years of many colleges are filled primarily with mandatory general prerequisite courses that have nothing to do with any particular field of study) and have seperate non-trade programs that revolve around that.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • In theory, they are different. In reality, different schools just use different names. Usually they pick whatever sounds better.
  • Engineering
    Engineering technology that is. Not real Engineering. You will get a diploma or certificate, not a real degree.
  • A college offers undergraduate programs, while a university offers both undergraduate and graduate programs.

In general, universities tend to be larger and have more prestigious programs as well.
    That's so weird, because even our colleges, which are similar to community colleges, have some undergrad degrees. Also our colleges don't give associates degrees, they give college diplomas.
  • have some undergrad degrees.
    Underwater basket weaving?
  • A college offers undergraduate programs, while a university offers both undergraduate and graduate programs.

That's so weird, because even our colleges, which are similar to community colleges, have some undergrad degrees. Also our colleges don't give associates degrees, they give college diplomas.
    Well, it's not universal. Many "colleges" in the US do offer some graduate degrees. Generally, the universities have more extensive graduate programs.

It's largely just a bunch of arbitrary B.S.
  • have some undergrad degrees.
    Underwater basket weaving?
    Lol, it's usually similar to a common major, but with a different name. I know Seneca College has an undergrad degree in software development.
  • I know Seneca College has an undergrad degree in software development.
    I hear it carries a lot of prestige, as well.
  • Underwater welding is actually a very lucrative, if dangerous, career.
  • Well, it's not universal. Many "colleges" in the US do offer some graduate degrees.
    Well, I've seen some institutions with graduate programs described as "colleges," but I've never seen anyone in academia ever refer to an institution which did not have them as a "university."

RIT calls itself a university, and the official rationale is its doctoral programs, so take that as you will.
  • edited August 2008
    I know Seneca College has an undergrad degree in software development.
    I hear it carries a lot of prestige, as well.
    Seneca College is the biggest College in Canada, not including Universities, but the Universities in Southern Ontario beat it. Also, University of Waterloo and UofT beat Carnegie Mellon in the regional programming competition. The school I plan on going to came in fourth, but I'm fine with it. Hooray for not having to live in a dorm!
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • Carnegie Mullen
    Never heard of it.
  • Carnegie Mullen
    Never heard of it.
    Whoops, typo lol.
  • Engineering technology that is. Not real Engineering. You will get a diploma or certificate, not a real degree.
    Yeah that is true, but supposedly the Engineering Technologists make more than our average Engineer and have an easier time getting a job. It could be because the Engineers are less prepared for direct entry into the workplace, because of the emphasis on theory over practicality.
  • Engineering technology that is. Not real Engineering. You will get a diploma or certificate, not a real degree.
    Yeah that is true, but supposedly the Engineering Technologists make more than our average Engineer and have an easier time getting a job. It could be because the Engineers are less prepared for direct entry into the workplace, because of the emphasis on theory over practicality.
    Or because the real engineers love having people to wipe their ass. And about the pay, that may be possible starting off, but I'd doubt it past a few years. I want a source to back up that claim.
  • Or because the real engineers love having people to wipe their ass. And about the pay, that may be possible starting off, but I'd doubt it past a few years. I want a source to back up that claim.
    Oh it's only starting salary and I got my information from the guidance counselor at the College here. You don't have to believe me lol.