This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Role Playing in Video Games?

edited August 2008 in Role Playing Games
Is it possible to have proper role playing in video games? If so, how would you like to see it implemented?

Comments

• Is it possible to have proper role playing in video games? If so, how would you like to see it implemented?
    Define proper and which system and what kind of game?
  • Define proper and which system and what kind of game?
    I'm talking actually acting out a role and a character, from what I've heard, something similar to Burning Wheel (although I've never played it).

When people think of RPG's in video games, they think of either WoW or something similar. However, can a truly worthwhile role playing experience exist in a virtual world?
  • When people think of RPG's in video games, they think of either WoW or something similar. However, can a truly worthwhile role playing experience exist in a virtual world?
    Not with current software. We can create computerized systems to facilitate humans who want to play RPGs with each other, but it's impossible to get computers to actually act as players or GMs with current technology. Tabletop role-playing is just collaborate storytelling. When you create a program capable of telling a story, on its own, you can have a video game that's actually a real role playing game. Until then, all you can do is make a program to do all the numbers-work.
  • Not with current software. We can create computerized systems to facilitate humans who want to play RPGs with each other, but it's impossible to get computers to actually act as players or GMs with current technology.
    We don't need to have computers to play roles, just create an environment for humans to interact in. Such a game should be easy to create, but how come they don't exist?
  • Is it possible to have proper role playing in video games? If so, how would you like to see it implemented?
    Sure, it has been done and is being done. All that has to be done is get people to actually play a role, and not only discuss tactics.
  • We don't need to have computers to play roles, just create an environment for humans to interact in. Such a game should be easy to create, but how come they don't exist?
    They do, all over the place. Some people use forums. Some people use some of those D+D games like Neverwinter Nights/Oblivion, etc. Some people use MMOs like WoW, or Second Life. Some people still use plain old IRC. They find any way to communicate with each other, and roll dice, and they've got game.
  • Honestly, that would kill roleplaying for me, as it has always been a really nice face-to-face activity with friends. While I like group story-telling, I doubt I would engage in it without face-to-face interaction (with the exeption of a game run by Alex - he is just that good).
  • We don't need to have computers to play roles, just create an environment for humans to interact in. Such a game should be easy to create, but how come they don't exist?
    Uhhhhh... they already do? MOOs, MUCKs, MUSHes? Not to mention the sort of laughably stymied roleplaying that goes on in WoW and other MMOs. Are you really just looking for a chat room? One with graphics, maybe?
  • Uhhhhh... they already do? MOOs, MUCKs, MUSHes? Not to mention the sort of laughably stymied roleplaying that goes on in WoW and other MMOs. Are you really just looking for a chat room? One with graphics, maybe?
    I cast Magic Missile on Dave for 3 damage. Next round, I ready an action to cast Magic Missile on Dave.

"Take that!"
  • Here's an example from a game I like to play called Sahrani Life (a mod for Armed Assault).

There are two teams, Civilians and Cops. There are items and vehicles in the world and people try to make money. Apart from that, there are no rules. Cops try to enforce laws they want, which are set by a mayor who is elected by civs. There is no "leveling", just pure skill with a gun or vehicle. There are no quests, not preset stories. The only stories that exist are the ones that the players make for themselves.

The above video is from when I played as a reporter, "filming" a hostage situation which turned into a holdout. Things like these are common occurrence in the game. Civilians will open shops, create groups, and make stories in the game.
  • Ooh, I want to play some Burning Wheel. Is there anyone here in Rochester who's up for a game?
  • edited August 2008
    Are you really just looking for a chat room? One with graphics, maybe?
    They've already got that. It's called "Second Life", which I think Scott mentioned a few posts up.
    Post edited by Techparadox on