This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tablet PC questions

13»

Comments

• None of the 3 sellers specify the amount of pressure levels, resolution, tilt capabilities, etc. Furthermore, the only mention to wacom is in the line "The Wacom technology used is great, just remember you can't keep picking the pen up or the touch feature will be activated again and your hand might be detected." the fact that the only claim of convenience is for "Taking notes" I doubt that it's as powerful as a cintiq for precise inking or painting, Its probably really good for doodles and sketches though, and with patience and practice, you can probably ink on that as well.
    If it doesn't have the special Wacom tablet features, then there's no point. You might as well just get a cheapo tablet netbook.
  • Hit Ctrl+F, Type in "Wacom" and hit the down arrow twice.
    Read what Mr. Robot said. It seems to me that you don't know how to read, or you don't understand what we are asking for.
  • Fallacious statement:
    Nowhere in that review does it confirm whether or not the tablet has the necessary drawing features, nor does it provide the detailed specifications of the touch/pen screen.
    It doesn't mention anything about pressure sensitivity in that article. If you poke around Google, you can find people saying that it has 256 levels of pressure sensitivity. An Intuos3 or Cintiq has 1024 (I'm pretty sure). I've never used something with such a low level of pressure sensitivity, so I don't know how much of an issue it would be. I couldn't find anything about tilt/rotation sensitivity. In any case, this clearly isn't a device intended for art -- it might be okay, but I certainly wouldn't spend money without having a chance to try it out.
  • edited March 2009
    Then we ask Emily to try out a similar PC or get the opinion of someone who draws comics on one. Simple.
    It seems to me that you don't know how to read
    Would you have anything to back up that statement?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I think the guy from VGcats used one at some point, but then again, I also think he inks by hand and paints with the bucket and pen tool.
  • Would you have anything to back up that statement?
    We asked for detailed specifications. You provided a vague review with no detail whatsoever.
    We told you it wasn't what we were looking for.
    You insisted.
    The only reasonable conclusion is poor reading comprehension on your part.
  • edited March 2009
    Do you have anything you could quote to back up that first sentence?

Going back to Emily's initial question: She's already pretty happy with a tablet with no sensitivity at all. From this, I'd say trying out a low sensitivity (The bamboo I use has 512 levels so the tablet mentioned would be half that) would be well worth a shot.

We could also try and find a better tablet PC, this one was just picked from a general tablet PC user website and probably isn't the best there is.
  • Do you have anything you could quote to back up that first sentence?
    How about this?
    The word "Wacom" in some specifications of a discontinued model on some shady review site is not enough. We need detailed specifications from a site we can trust on a product that you can reliably purchase.
    To which you replied:
    ...It was all there on the site.
  • Step 1) Clickthis link.
    Step 2) Read review.
    Step 3) Find more reviews usingGoogle.
    Step 4) Clickthis linkto find a seller.
    If you find the tablet unsatisfactory, try looking around the site at different models.

This now depends on whether or not Emily finds the sensitivity sufficient for drawing comics. I feel it will.

It was all there on the site.
    Now you see how Scott takes things out of context to make them appear different. Note the "Find more reviews using Google".
    So, with his incapability to search "Google" Scott wins this one on a technicality. Nitpick points +1.
  • edited March 2009
    Now you see how Scott takes things out of context to make them appear different. Note the "Find more reviews using Google".
    So, with his incapability to search "Google" Scott wins this one on a technicality. Nitpick points +1.
    Let me break it down really simply for you.

Originally you posted this as a possible solution.
    Tablet or convertible PC: Expensive (less than modbook), probably windows only (you could try installing OSX86), can definitely get full sensitivity.
    Me, Rym, Emily, and many other people have thoroughly researched on Google. We have never found a tablet or convertible PC that is less expensive than a modbook that "definitely" has full sensitivity. As far as we can tell, no such product exists.

You claimed that such a product exists. If such a product did exist, we would be thrilled, and we want to know about it. Thus, we asked you what product you were talking about. Rather than identify such a product, you have offered products that do not meet the requirements, and have told us to search Google. We have searched Google. We're not stupid. We are the champions of telling people to search Google. There is no such product.

You claim a product exists. We want to see it, and buy it. Either identify the product, or admit you are wrong and that no such product exists.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited March 2009
    Then, if we cannot find it, we settle for less sensitivity. We have accepted we are not looking for an ideal solution.
  • Then, if we cannot find it, we settle for less sensitivity. We have accepted we are not looking for an ideal solution.
    But you said that you can "definitely get full sensitivity". That is why we are challenging you.

You have to learn to pay attention to every single word you type, and read every single word we type. There is a lot of meaning in very few words. It is obvious from the way you have carried on this conversation that you are skimming posts, and not reading very carefully. We are saying very specific things that have very specific meanings. If you reply to our posts only after getting the gist of what we are saying, what can you expect other than for us to rip you a new one?
  • So you weren't claiming that not suitable product would exist?
  • So you weren't claiming that not suitable product would exist?
    What?

We are saying that despite our extensive research, we have never found a product that meets the desired specifications.
  • How did you come to the descission of what you consider suitable? Just to clarify.

Well, through a strange coincidence, I may be able to help determine what is suitable. My Mother might be getting a tablet PC, with a stylus, sometime in the next month or two. I'm no Photoshop wiz but, I'll see what I can do.
  • You guys are making claims that you can't back up, and getting defensive when Scott calls you on it.
    There is no "our review" link on that site. The only mention of the word wacom is in the sidebar. Why don't you just named the make and model? Oh, because there is no such thing.
    Overview & Specs - Our Review - All Reviews - User Opinions - Where to Buy - All HP Models - HP Discussions
    Again, I only Made the correction that there was "Our Review" links on that Site, Just not at the page Scott was looking at. He made a statement that was demonstrably false, and I don't see how correcting him is "Being defensive."

I will note, however, that I am dubious of Scott's extensive research - For such extensive research, I find it hard to believe that he didn't know that the Cintiqs need to be plugged into the wall, especially when it's as plain as the nose on your face after even a cursory glance at the Specs pages for the Cintiqs - considering his profession and high level of expertise in the field of technology, one would think that he would have at least Made a quick check of the specs before offering a product as part of his idea for a solution.
  • edited March 2009
    Me, Rym, Emily, and many other people have thoroughly researched on Google. We have never found a tablet or convertible PC that is less expensive than a modbook that "definitely" has full sensitivity. As far as we can tell, no such product exists.

You claimed that such a product exists. If such a product did exist, we would be thrilled, and we want to know about it. Thus, we asked you what product you were talking about. Rather than identify such a product, you have offered products that do not meet the requirements, and have told us to search Google. We have searched Google. We're not stupid. We are the champions of telling people to search Google. There is no such product.

You claim a product exists. We want to see it, and buy it. Either identify the product, or admit you are wrong and that no such product exists.
    This is true. I have seen many tablets that employ "Wacom technology," but this phrase =/= Wacom tablet capabilities. I hate to say it, but I'm with Scott on this one. I had already looked at many of those models, and they didn't mention "pressure sensitivity" or any other specification you usually look at when reviewing tablets themselves.

I knew that Cintiqs were more like monitors. It would be like carting around an extra monitor, which would suck, hard. Just because he doesn't know about Cintiqs doesn't mean that he hasn't thought about this very issue with tablet PC's before. We've actually talked about this before, when I was shopping around for tablets. I didn't buy one myself for the very reason Scott mentioned. I'd have to test it out, even if it advertised pressure sensitivity.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited March 2009
    Well, I'll test out the one my Mother is getting, if it arrives, and give you my thoughts.
  • edited April 2009
    This might help, I sent an email off to this guy at Cartoon Monkey who seems to know his stuff, here's his reply:
    Hello Fred,

Sorry for the late reply! I've been out sick, and I've been playing catchup with the blog, e-mail and my own work.
    Do you know which tablet she's borrowing? It may have pressure sensitivity, ( rather it may have a wacom digitizer ) and just need the proper driver to make pressure work.

On the cheap, I would highly reccomend a used Motion Computing tablet pc, a M1400, LE1600 or LE1700. These units do tend to get quite warm, but if you can live with that,
    they're a great solution. I would also try a Toshiba Protoge (M400 or later model) - they have great screens, and true wacom digitizers. Beware of any tablet with an NTRIG digitizer
    (the hp touchsmart models) -as they're not pressure sensitive in all applications, like the wacom enabled models. If you want true portability, look for a motion LS800 small tablet pc,
    and get a small IGO bluetooth stowaway keyboard ($100) - very handy and a great portable setup, although I think that the LS800 only does 800x600 resolution..

I myself own a Sahara I440d which I like quite a bit, gotten used for $1000 usd from Allegiance Technology Partners, although I miss my old motion, and I may look out for a used LE1700 and hardtop
    keyboard in the near future, because they're so thin an nicely designed. (also the LE1700 does a nice super high resolution, and will run all the glass effects of vista / windows 7!

I'll start tagging my drawings and animations properly. Some are done on the Cintiq, it's true, but around 95% are done on my tablet pc. :-)

All my best, and good luck in your tablet buying!

Chad Essley
    cartoonmonkey studio
    Oh well, HPs, not so good.

Edit: The Modbook, considering it's got the Apple price hike, doesn't look so completely out of place after looking at some of the prices on these.
  • The one I use is a Toshiba Protoge from a few year ago. Need to check the model number.
    I myself own a Sahara I440d which I like quite a bi
    That was the slate one I was looking into buying, back before I started adopting the Toshiba. I guess I found the best ones by myself, then. Thanks for the help, though.
  • The new Gigabyte T1028 has some possibilities, but there isn't enough information to be sure.
  • I want this slate. It has Wacom pressure sensitivity. Y U NO market that to artists?
    Samsung Series 7 Slate
    Also, this Lenovo convertable has Wacom hardware
  • When Windows 8 is out, I'd like to buy an actual decent tablet pc convertible. Not one with a shitty arm processor, but a real laptop. I'd like one of the docking ones that turns into a laptop rather than one with a screen that flips around or one that just had a keyboard dock for when you're stationary. A couple of years ago I saw some shitty Acer netbook that dual-booted Windows XP and Android. If they did that with with one of these newer Windows Tablets, I would be all for it.
  • I got my Slate a few days before Christmas, as I was due for a new laptop. So far, it has performed beautifully. For twice the price of an ipad, it's a pretty solid PC. The only problem is that sometimes the capacitive touch screen kicks in when you are drawing with the wacom pen. I think I need to wear a little glove, like cell painters of yore.
  • I got my Slate a few days before Christmas, as I was due for a new laptop. So far, it has performed beautifully. For twice the price of an ipad, it's a pretty solid PC. The only problem is that sometimes the capacitive touch screen kicks in when you are drawing with the wacom pen. I think I need to wear a little glove, like cell painters of yore.
    There might be a setting for that. Like how touchpads on regular laptops have a setting to disable touchpad while typing.

• Oh, I finally loaded Android on my HP Touchpad and it's working awesomely (even though it's still in Alpha release). Only problems is it occasionally drops WiFi but usually you just had to turn the wifi on and off and it starts working again. It's been great reading comics and watching movies on.