This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

**** Ban Jen Challenge !: Aftermath ****

2»

Comments

• I've always been of the opinion that a forum should never, EVER be a democracy.
    It should be a cheerocracy.
  • It should be a cheerocracy.
    Don't forget to use Jazz Hands. They will get you more votes.
  • It should be a cheerocracy.
    Don't forget to use Jazz Hands. They will get you more votes.
    "Those aren't spirit fingers...THESE are spirit fingers!"
  • Web forum closed after sensible discussion takes place.
    An internet chat room was shut down earlier today after a number of users started what the organizers are calling a ‘reasonable and intelligent debate’ in one of the forums. Although details are sketchy, the outbreak of the sensible discussion was apparently characterized by polite disagreement, constructive criticism, and mild language...
  • I think Jen falls under that criteria.
    Jen is not the most annoying person here. If he gets banned, at least one or two other people are going with him. ^_~
    I'm probably one of them. :(
  • Nah, you're not so bad, you are just young and excitable, and get punished for your spelling.
  • I think Jen falls under that criteria.
    Jen is not the most annoying person here. If he gets banned, at least one or two other people are going with him. ^_~
    The only thing that still gets me, other than the whole double standard of the troll vs. the religious threads, is how you could ban someone like The Flamming Geek for being a twat and not contributing anything, and yet ignore the flagrant troll, who is/was also being a twat and not contributing. I mean, if someone's just stupid by nature, you ban them, but if they're actively being stupid, you leave them be? Huh?

Granted, I don't think "twat" status on its own is grounds for bannination; these forums are built on a healthy tradition of erudite twatdom. When someone is both being a twat AND not contributing, though, shouldn't that be grounds for removal?
  • The flamming geek was banned for bad grammar and spelling.
  • edited September 2008
    The flamming geek was banned for bad grammar and spelling.
    Shall The Flamming Geek's posting privilages be revoked?

I submit the following:

* He has lied repeatedly.

* He has ignored offers of amnesty.

* He posts frequently, yet with little meaningful content.

* He is generally annoying.

* It is arguable that his posts are detrimental to the general discourse of the board.

Until judgement is made, his posting privilages have been reduced.
    Source. I don't see "bad grammar and spelling" anywhere in that list.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Source.I don't see "bad grammar and spelling" anywhere in that list.
    That's all Rym.
  • edited September 2008
    Source.I don't see "bad grammar and spelling" anywhere in that list.
    That's all Rym.
    I've never seen a buck passed so quickly in my life, and I work for government.

EDIT: Y'know, doing investigative work for a living, I can't just let someone pass the buck like that. So I'll add to the pile:
    Posting possibly offensive content is not what gets people banned. People are banned because they obviously have not contributed anything to the forum, and show no signs of doing so in the future. People who increase the value of the forum will stay, and people who decrease the value will leave.
    Source.

Really, as far as I can tell, NO user thus far has actually been banned for poor grammar and spelling. At all. The ONE criterion you list as being grounds for banning is the sole criterion that I have yet to see invoked in an actual banning.

Man, you guys are making this really easy on me.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I think the contribution that Jen makes is that the annoyance it causes us amuses Scrym. In that respect, it is like the court jester that had free reign to annoy all the courtiers.

So, I suppose Jen is a little like Rigoletto. I wonder if it has a daughter . . .
  • I think the contribution that Jen makes is that the annoyance it causes us amuses Scrym. In that respect, it is like the court jester that had free reign to annoy all the courtiers.
    No, Jen is pretty directly amusing.
    I think that's probably right on the money.
  • Why should Rym and Scott care about being fair? It's their forum.
  • Source.I don't see "bad grammar and spelling" anywhere in that list.
    That's all Rym.
    I've never seen a buck passed so quickly in my life, and I work for government.

EDIT: Y'know, doing investigative work for a living, I can't just let someone pass the buck like that. So I'll add to the pile:

Posting possibly offensive content is not what gets people banned. People are banned because they obviously have not contributed anything to the forum, and show no signs of doing so in the future. People who increase the value of the forum will stay, and people who decrease the value will leave.
    Source.

Really, as far as I can tell, NO user thus far has actually been banned for poor grammar and spelling. At all. The ONE criterion you list as being grounds for banning is the sole criterion that I have yet to see invoked in an actual banning.

Man, you guys are making this really easy on me.
    Except all your arguments are null and void for one simple reason.
    These forums are purely autocratic. ^_^
  • You can't ban Jen for disagreeing with you, and you can't ban Jen for being annoying, because she's actually pretty hilarious. Also because the forums are ruled with an iron fist. Submit to the will of the party!
  • edited November 2010
    I think Jen falls under that criteria.
    It's hilarious to look back here and see that Jen wasn't banned while two of the others in this thread were.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on