This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Byzantium, Rulers, Etc.

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
A while ago I decided to give the best podcast ever a listen on the recommendation of Geeknights... 12 Byzantine Emperors. Except that podcast didn't exist on iTunes so instead I downloaded all of 12 Byzantine Rules instead. Not sure why Rym always calls it by the wrong name, but whatever.

I listened to all of them and had a good time. I knew some of the stories, but most of it was new and I learned a lot. I've never been to Turkey or Istanbul before but it made me very interested to visit. I was thinking of holidaying there this October but today I got a job offer on a cruise from Istanbul to Naples via Mykonos. Which means I'll probably have just 2 or 3 hours total to myself to see Istanbul. Off the top of my head the only historical location I can remember from the podcasts is the Hagia Sophia, so I'll certainly try to see that. I don't have time to go back and listen to all the podcasts again in the coming week, but I know a lot of forum members have listened to them two or three times though so may have some more or better ideas of things to see in Byzantine/Constantinople/Istanbul.

So... any suggestions? When I get back I'll share stories and photos of what I find.

Comments

• One of my good friends just spent eight weeks in Turkey. Here is his blog: Turkey He went to a bunch of cool places, pictures included. It might give you some ideas.
  • Thanks, that is perfect!
  • edited April 2010
    18 months later, and due to a volcano, I'm finally in Istanbul with time to spare. I went to the Hagia Sophia. The place is fucking huge, and feels a lot bigger inside than it looks like it should from the outside. Here are some of my photos:

Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Man, I just bought one of those in a CIV IV game :-p
  • That makes me want to play Sands of Time again. Also, travel to Turkey.
  • edited April 2010
    Wow, those are beautiful photos, Luke! Thanks for sharing! I hope you're enjoying Turkey, I sure wish I was able to travel there myself.

It may be a little late to suggest places to visit, but just in case you have more time, I'd suggest Topkapi Palace.
    The Topkapı Palace (Turkish: Topkapı Sarayı) or in Ottoman Turkish: طوپقپو سرايى, usually spelled "Topkapi" in English) is a palace in Istanbul, Turkey, which was the official and primary residence in the city of the Ottoman Sultans for 400 years of their 624-year reign, from 1465 to 1856.

The palace was a setting for state occasions and royal entertainments and is a major tourist attraction today, containing the most holy relics of the Muslim world such as the prophet Muhammed's cloak and sword. Topkapı Palace is among those monuments belonging to the "Historic Areas of Istanbul", which became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1985, and is described in Criterion iv as "the best example[s] of ensembles of palaces [...] of the Ottoman period."
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Fuckit, I'm here for another two days at least. Tomorrow I was going to go for the Turkish baths experience, and maybe see the old city walls, but I could do the palace no problem.
  • Definitely don't miss the baths, that sounds too good to pass up on!
  • The palace was pretty interesting. But my feet hurt.