This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080904 - Seattle

edited September 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we talk about adventures in Seattle. In the news, a kid is too good at little league and the mayor of Detroit is finally done.

Scott's Thing - Mary Blair Illustrations
Rym's Thing - JoCo RickRoll

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Mary Blair is an absolutely amazing artist! It's great that she is getting some recognition outside of the Disney geek community for once! (She was influential in the creation of what is quite possibly the most beautiful and the most annoying attraction at any theme park ever, it's a small world. The entire look of the ride was practically designed by her.)
    EDIT: Man, I really want that piece she did for The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad! That is totally awesome! I wrote most of the informative stuff before listening to the episode, so I do understand that what I have just typed is in the show.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I want to hear you guys do a snow crash show .
  • The book club is great, however where is the love on final thoughts on Dark Knight Returns or Watchmen? ^_~
  • Man, now going to PAX East Coast is definitely on my list of things to do before I die. I'd go early and find all the traceurs in the area, go to PAX, and then stay late and do Parkour for a few days, seeing landmarks and eating awesome food all the while. After all that I'd come home and sleep for three days, and it would be the best trip ever.

Also, your mention awesome real doughnuts reminded me of a professional chef who makes fresh doughnuts every day and gives them to the suppliers he buys from at farmers markets. This includes me, so I get awesome fresh doughnuts every Saturday. ^__^
  • What do you sell at the farmer's market, Gunter?
  • What do you sell at the farmer's market, Gunter?
    Soft, unaged goat cheese.
  • Mary Blair was a huge inspiration for Mike's upcoming Penny Arcade Prince of Persia comic. Came up during Make a Strip.
  • Soft, unaged goat cheese.
    I hope you pasteurize that shit.
  • Scott, you should check out my prof. John Canemaker's book, The Art and Flair of Mary Blair.
  • edited September 2008
    There is a place called Elephant and Castle in London and the subway (underground) station of the same name there has this right outside:

Same? Similar?

Also I really enjoyed this show and the last (PAX) one. Well done guys!
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • That elephant castle is pretty much identical.
  • The end story bit about having breakfast at the Central Cafe. I found it curious that you guys determine your tip on the quality of food. I've always based my tipping on how my Dad determines his tip. He would always say that the waiter doesn't have control on the quality of the food that is cooked. The waiter doesn't cook it he just serves it. So he always based his tipping on how prompt and attentive that waiter was to our table. I'm not looking down on your tipping habits I just found it interesting, that's how you guys tipped.
  • The end story bit about having breakfast at the Central Cafe. I found it curious that you guys determine your tip on the quality of food. I've always based my tipping on how my Dad determines his tip. He would always say that the waiter doesn't have control on the quality of the food that is cooked. The waiter doesn't cook it he just serves it. So he always based his tipping on how prompt and attentive that waiter was to our table. I'm not looking down on your tipping habits I just found it interesting, that's how you guys tipped.
    Rym, let's do a show on tips.
  • Rym, let's do a show on tips.
    Yes.
    I think the best way is to ask if the tips are shared amongst all staff, or only amongst the waiters, seeing as I've heard about some restaurants splitting up the tips so that everyone receives part of the 'praise' from the customer. If the tips are only shared amongst waiters, I'd say use the Ebb method, else determine based on quality of the food and the service, since you will be tipping both.
  • I think the best way is to ask if the tips are shared amongst all staff, or only amongst the waiters, seeing as I've heard about some restaurants splitting up the tips so that everyone receives part of the 'praise' from the customer. If the tips are only shared amongst waiters, I'd say use the Ebb method, else determine based on quality of the food and the service, since you will be tipping both.
    I will say this. I tip only out of pity for service staff: I hate the whole tipping institution in the US and everything associated with it.
  • I think the best way is to ask if the tips are shared amongst all staff, or only amongst the waiters, seeing as I've heard about some restaurants splitting up the tips so that everyone receives part of the 'praise' from the customer. If the tips are only shared amongst waiters, I'd say use the Ebb method, else determine based on quality of the food and the service, since you will be tipping both.
    You would sound like complete douche, if you asked the waitstaff how their tip system works in that restaurant. I can't verify if this is actually correct or not but my Uncle always told me, that the word tip stands for one thing and one thing only. To insure promptness of service.
  • edited September 2008
    It's against the law not to, Scott. We've got a grade B dairy license.

EDIT: I'm not sure why that one got quoted...
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited September 2008
    It's against the law not to, Scott. We've got a grade B dairy license.
    Hooray! I just always hear bad stories from TheWhaleShark about scary bathtub cheeses.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It's against the law not to, Scott. We've got a grade B dairy license.
    Hooray! I just always hear bad stories from TheWhaleShark about scary bathtub cheeses.
    Yeah, where we live the regulations on dairy products are strict and well enforced enough that we'd get our asses kicked pretty fast if we were sell bathtub cheese to classy restaurants.
  • Hey, very cool guys! This is the 'Dragonfish' viking-type guy. Thanks for remembering me, as I'm sure you big-city celebrity types have a problem sorting out all of your frothing fans. Well, I'm not frothing yet, but from what I've heard and read so far, I'm liking the style.

I'll be ordering Burning Wheel soon, and hopefully get my opinions to you after I've read the rules through. I'll have to see about getting a crew together to play it.

...oh, and I would like to hear your comments on Snow Crash. Compared to Stephenson's other books (weighty tomes), it's a short story, but right up there with Neuromancer in envisioning a near-future world...

Canuckwerty
  • I will say this. I tip only out of pity for service staff: I hate the whole tipping institution in the US and everything associated with it.
    That is true, but I considered that to go for all tips. Here we generally do not tip the staff.
    You would sound like complete douche, if you asked the waitstaff how their tip system works in that restaurant. I can't verify if this is actually correct or not but my Uncle always told me, that the word tip stands for one thing and one thing only. To insure promptness of service.
    They would not appreciate getting tipped more even if the food sucked when the tips are personal? Yeah, Americans. :p
  • Well if the waiter told you he has to split tips with the cooks as well and you responded with "Great if the food sucks you are getting shit for a tip." The waiter wouldn't be to keen on that. Besides, I'm pretty sure the cooks don't see one penny of tips anyways. It's been a very long time since I worked in the food service industry but the only time a waiter might share some of his tip money is with the busboy. And that was only if the waiter felt the busboy was on top of his game and clearing out the tables super fast.
  • Tipping should be abolished. It is an excuse for employers not to pay their employees. It is also a way for them to hide costs. In my opinion, restaurants should be sued for falsely advertising the cost of consumables on menus if tipping is expected.

That said, I also tip out of pity for the waiter making $2.75 an hour. I have a real hard time, however, justifying tipping at a place like Olive Garden, where a waiter can make $10 per hour plus 15 to 20 percent gratuity on about five or six tables an hour where the typical family meal is $50 to $80.
  • A Manhattan lives or dies on the quality of its vermouth. If your Manhattan was made with an old stale bottle of something that was only OK to begin with, not even the best whiskey in the world could have saved it. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend picking up a bottle of Vya sweet vermouth. It's a bit expensive for vermouth, but not for wine in general. It's worth it.
  • the waiter making $2.75 an hour.
    Is this a serious figure?
  • Tipping should be abolished. It is an excuse for employers not to pay their employees. It is also a way for them to hide costs. In my opinion, restaurants should be sued for falsely advertising the cost of consumables on menus if tipping is expected.
    That said, I also tip out of pity for the waiter making $2.75 an hour. I have a real hard time, however, justifying tipping at a place like Olive Garden, where a waiter can make $10 per hour plus 15 to 20 percent gratuity on about five or six tables an hour where the typical family meal is $50 to $80.
    How much should a server make? I pay babysitters $10/hr. You have to bust your ass being a server. I always tip 20% unless the server is rude. I also agree with the sentiment that the quality of food has little to do with the tip. Tips are for servers even if they share them.
  • How much should a server make?
    Right now the law is so screwed up that they aren't treated as hourly workers, so you don't have to pay them minimum wage. If the law weren't screwed up, they should be paid what the market will bear, but no less than minimum wage.
  • It's against the law not to, Scott. We've got a grade B dairy license.
    Yeah, where we live the regulations on dairy products are strict and well enforced enough that we'd get our asses kicked pretty fast if we were sell bathtub cheese to classy restaurants.
    I'm curious as to the product cleanliness and testing requirements for obtaining your license. I know some states require that unpasteurized products conform to the same cleanliness standards as pasteurized products (notably California), but New York has two sets of standards that apply to pasteurized and unpasteurized products.

Also, irrespective of the testing requirements and cleanliness standards, unpasteurized dairy products are still a higher risk food item than their pasteurized counterparts.
  • I'm curious as to the product cleanliness and testing requirements for obtaining your license. I know some states require that unpasteurized products conform to the same cleanliness standards as pasteurized products (notably California), but New York has two sets of standards that apply to pasteurized and unpasteurized products.

Also, irrespective of the testing requirements and cleanliness standards, unpasteurized dairy products are still a higher risk food item than their pasteurized counterparts.
    Honestly, I haven't picked up to many of the fine details, as I don't run the business. I do know that raw milk and unpasteurized cheese are both illegal to sell. And pretty much all of our equipment has to be sterile, especially considering that foreign bacteria can ruin a batch of cheese.