This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Future is Delicious, Microsoft Ad

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/04/seinfeld-and-gates-pair-up-for-intense-shoe-fitting-session-cry/

This Ad is awesome. Take that, Apple!

I'm looking forward to the next one.

Comments

• What the hell was that? Is that really a commercial?
  • Its the first in a multi part campaign. They aren't going to go straight for the sell, that would just turn people off.
  • That's funny, more so then I was expecting. Granted it's not that much of a commercial, but definitely a good start to a campaign.
  • edited September 2008
    I saw that while watching Friends. I LOL'd!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I had no idea what was going on. They irony is, that Bill had to chose a pair of shoes, like choosing one of the many different versions of Vista. As for Mac one size fits all, unless you run a server.
  • edited September 2008
    I'd rather have a pair of shoes that fits me rather than a pair that fits everyone.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I think the funniest part is that his club card photo is his police mugshot.
  • I don't get it.
  • I, like Scott, also don't get it. This looks like something you'd see as an extra on a DVD, not a commercial.
  • I don't get it either. Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates buying shoes? What?
  • edited September 2008
    Of course not! Only Bill was buying shoes!
    I think the funniest part is that his club card photo is his police mugshot.
    I think little things like that were the point, like the "Why Pay more?" sign which is kind of a subtle jab at Apple.
    Post edited by Tyashki on
  • Well, Jerry was helping him buy shoes.
  • At least Jerry didn't say "What is the deal with Windows?"
  • I never said it was bad, it wasn't, I just thought it was weird and pointless.

...Also, in before lame "the cake is a lie" joke.
  • Churro's are way to sweet. Sopaipilla are the way to go for a Mexican treat. It's puffy and airy and lightly dusted with sugar and cinnamon. Then there is honey you can add to it, which you regulate how much you want to put on it. So in closing sopaipillas need to be in the next commercial if Microsoft wants me to buy Vista.
  • If Windows 7 isn't chewy, the cake will be a lie!
  • I never said it was bad, it wasn't, I just thought it was weird and pointless.
    Windows has a negative brand perception. People like your ads, they'll like your brand more, even if they don't have anything to do with your product. There's no point really ''selling'' windows directly because everyone already knows what it's about.
  • That's funny.
  • I don't even understand the first one, but the second one was pretty good. Still, it was long-winded, but it was good. And oh mans, for no reason at all, I bust out laughing and the end of it. "Power down. Okay power up."
  • It might be a funny ad, but that doesn't make me want to buy their product more or less. Just like the last decade of ads for Jack in the Box.
  • It might be a funny ad, but that doesn't make me want to buy their product more or less. Just like the last decade of ads for Jack in the Box.
    I think people like us (geeky with at least some base knowledge of computers) would be the least likely to be affected by this commercial and are not the target audience. Just like a beer commercial would probably not sway the opinion of a brewmaster. This is very clearly an attempt to start advertising like Apple, not necessarily sell your goods on the merit of the performance, but on propaganda and cultural acceptances instead. A much better approach when selling to a mass market that largely doesn’t understand the product. This is a good start for a campaign.
  • It doesn't matter if the ads make sense. This is the first time anyone has ever paid attention to a Microsoft ad ever. All attention is good attention. The success will be determined by how long they can keep getting ink about these ads.