This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Goddammit Nintenboyfriend! It's just like real high school!

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
So, one of my Japanese friends gave me a copy of Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2 and I've been playing it sporadically for the past few months. It's not an ero game, it's a PG rated high school simulation, where you chose your club, your part time job, hobbies, studying, and playing with your friends, all the while pursuing on the stereotypical cute anime boys at your school. I approached this game with a wry sense of humor, and didn't take it all that seriously, but I must admit it was somewhat nostalgic to think about high school.

So anyway, I decide that I am not going to look at any faqs, but that I am going to play through the game straight through and make all the decisions that I would typically have made in real life. I join the art club, study hard before exams, neglect reading my fashion magazine, and generally pal around with everyone. I decide to target the Gaijin art boy and the main guy, who is a surfer. How did it go, you might ask, playing a dating game as Emily?

Well, I finished the game today. Guess what. The main boy randomly moved away and stopped answering his phone! (Cue plot music) All the other boys were happy at me, and were my friends. At the end they were all like "Dude, I'm glad we went to high school together! You are such a great pal!" And then I got into a "good college," and lived happily ever after. No dokidoki confession scene but no bad end either. JUST LIKE MY REAL HIGH SCHOOL LIFE??

The lesson here: If I play as myself, I can't even get digital boys in high school, but I do have a lot of male friends. The only people who had "full hearts" for me were the cute nerdy girl and the tough jock girl, but the game didn't allow me to date them. Maybe I should just give up and go touch witches.

Comments

• Your virtual boyfriend has been kidnapped by witches. Are you a bad enough dude to touch witches?
  • edited September 2008
    These things tend to be extremely arbitrary. Unless you do very specific things (some entering Nintendo logic territory), there's just going to be the Normal End.

Also, I don't think you can really play as yourself to any significant degree considering how most date sim choices simplify to "Kiss Him", "Kill Him", or "Rape Him".
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • Kiss Him", "Kill Him", or "Rape Him".
    Not tokimeki. You have to choose lines of dialogue, like if you are walking in the park in fall, do you say:

a. The color of the leaves if so beautiful. It makes me feel so calm.
    b. Oooh creepy...The branches look like hands!
    c. Fall...Makes me wanna eat a sweet potato.

Also I made death chocolate with my bad stylus skills.
  • The same would be true for me. I can't get a real girlfriend let alone a virtual one.
  • They should make a high school sim about my high school: Rutlish, an all-boys school where the only females are teachers. Would make the heterosexual romance quite interesting at least.
  • I'm sorry. I'm laughing too much at this....
    Your virtual boyfriend has been kidnapped by witches. Are you a bad enough dude to touch witches?
    also...
    "Kiss Him", "Kill Him", or "Rape Him".
    I want to play this game...but it's not in English is it. :(
  • edited September 2008
    There was a crappy dating sim for the Mac/PC demo that I got and it was okay. Not much in 15-minute demo and the full version is $20 bucks. Plus my folks wouldn't like their son buying a dating sim with their credit card.
    Edit: It's called "Summer Session," an English language dating sim. I tried hooking up with the Biology teacher.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • edited September 2008
    You know what I would love? If there was a Scott Pilgrim dating game.

1. Ramona Flowers - the lead, Enigmatic Plot Girl
    2. Knives Chao - the Loli High Schooler
    3. Kim Pine - the Tsundere
    4. Lisa - the Osananajimi, friend from your youth.
    5. Envy Adams - The Rockstar Bitchy Celebrity

You could have: Julie - The Bad End.

If it were all video-gamey, Scott Pilgrim Stylin'? Man, that would be sweet!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Maybe you could get Scott to do the code and you do the Art? Stop Geeknights, It's brilliant! Golden!
  • You know what I would love? If there was a Scott Pilgrim dating game.
    I would so play this! The only thing that would be better would be a side scrolling Scott Pilgrim beat-em-up.
  • lol a Scott Pilgrim dating game would be awesome.
  • Also I made death chocolate with my bad stylus skills.
    Where you on the train? It is impossible to stylus on the train because of the shakiness.
  • Oop, I forgot to add something to that list.

6. Wallace
  • Where you on the train? It is impossible to stylus on the train because of the shakiness.
    Yes, I was. Stylus games on the DS suck on the train.
  • Yes, I was. Stylus games on the DS suck on the train.
    Or the car. Or any time you aren't perfectly still. I really wonder how Japanese people manage on the train.
  • I really wonder how Japanese people manage on the train.
    My friend Chris (parkour guy) and I always have this conversation in regards to Japanese people and their "highly evolved" skills when it comes to gaming. We would look at some games that are extremely hard and wonder how anyone can possibly play it with such ease. We've basically just passed it all off as it's because they are "Japanese".
  • I think I managed to draw on a Japanese train once. They are very smooth.
  • edited September 2008
    I have a feeling the Geeknights Dating game would simply end up being some sort of bizarre FPS blended with the WptRaSaG thread. Something about grabbing a flag out of Scott's rectum and then dating him.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I have a feeling the Geeknights Dating game would simply end up being some sort of bizarre FPS blended with the WptRaSaG thread. Something about grabbing a flag out of Scott's rectum and then dating him.
    Wow I don't think I have lurked enough, because I have NO idea what you are talking about. You just sound very very scary, and I know I don't want any part in this.
  • I have a feeling the Geeknights Dating game would simply end up being some sort of bizarre FPS blended with the WptRaSaG thread. Something about grabbing a flag out of Scott's rectum and then dating him.
    Wow I don't think I have lurked enough, because I haveNOidea what you are talking about. You just sound veryveryscary, and I know I don't want any part in this.
    I've known Scrym for years. And the WptRaSaG refers to the "Why People Think Rym & Scott Are Gay" thread. The fact you are frightened means I'm doin' my job. XD
  • edited September 2008
    I've known Scrym for years. And the WptRaSaG refers to the "Why People Think Rym & Scott Are Gay" thread. The fact you are frightened means I'm doin' my job. XD
    You have taken an odd career choice. Does it pay well?
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • I've known Scrym for years. And the WptRaSaG refers to the "Why People Think Rym & Scott Are Gay" thread. The fact you are frightened means I'm doin' my job. XD
    You have taken an odd career choice. Does it pay well?
    No, but at least the benefits are terrible.

• I want to play this game...but it's not in English is it. :(
    According to Shii's Translated VN list, three different attempts were made at the main game in the series, and all three have since dropped.
  • Yes, I was. Stylus games on the DS suck on the train.
    Or the car. Or any time you aren't perfectly still. I really wonder how Japanese people manage on the train.
    After much practice, I have managed to master the art of playing Ouendan on super-hard mode while riding on buses and trains. That isn't much to brag about, and it doesn't mean that playing stylus games in moving vehicles doesn't still suck, but I like being able to say that I can do it. :)
  • NOOB!! You should not talk to the other girl characters if you want a doki doki end. You talk to them once and you ignore them.

The rock star red head is the best. You take him to all the lives and he'll practically hump your leg.