This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

OpenDNS kills kittens. OMG

edited July 2006 in GeekNights
I liked the show, would have preferred to be able to tell you more than what you just read on Slashdot. Read the threads on NANOG for some serious clue or the DNS-Operations mailing list.

Comments

• Wow, you really are going around the net to all your referrers and posting comments.
  • Well, I'll admit that I have a bias. I feel that there is no need for alternative DNS structures, and that they at best are irrelevant and at worst cause confusion and disorder. Outside of the techno-elite, no one even understands what DNS is, let alone the ramifications of using a non-standard system.

I take great issue with anyone who would market an alternate-root DNS to non-technical people.
  • How about the ip shortage?
  • RymRym
    edited July 2006
    Well, that's an entirely separate issue that has absolutely nothing to do with DNS. ^_~

Buuuuut, it's largely a smokescreen. Between CIDR and NAT, IPv4 is still perfectly viable, and will be for some time. There's no looming crisis, but more likely a slow shift in the coming decade. I'll reserve the rest of what I have to say for an episode of the show.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Take in mind the more people there is the faster the population grows. I think not many people understand that.
  • I'm well aware. The fact remains that most devices habitate just fine behind NAT, and there is no pressing need for more IP addresses. If there actually were, IPv6 or an equivalent would have gained a lot more steam in the Tier-One ISPs.
  • Yeah agreed.