This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GOG.com

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
Good Old Games is a website where you can buy the golden oldies, such as the fallout series. they cost $5.99/9.99 each and, best of all, they are DRM free!

I just wanted to let you know.

Comments

• Oh yeah, I just got my beta invite for this! When I'm on a not-mac I'll give it a go!

The idea of getting the soundtrack for free when you buy a game is cool, but the range is a little sparse so far (expected).
  • For those who sign up now, you get a BOGO on interplay games. I got fallout 1 & 2 for $5.99.
  • I just got my early beta access key. I'll be picking up Fallout 1&2 as well.
  • It's going to be a tough battle between GOG, Steam, and Gametap.
  • We'll see if GOG can survive. Gametap's already in the shitter, after laying off their entire editorial staff. I heard they're looking for a buyer, now. Steam isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
  • We'll see if GOG can survive. Gametap's already in the shitter, after laying off their entire editorial staff. I heard they're looking for a buyer, now. Steam isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    Is Gametap really in the shitter? Steam should buy them, or at least their library.
  • They were being talked about on an older episode of 1UP Yours, and they're looking for someone to buy them. After cutting their editorial staff, I don't think it looks good. The podcasters themselves talked about how none of them owned a paid account, and really only ever used it to play the new Sam & Max games. Steam buying their library is an awesome idea. It would be much more like consolidation, in my mind, because I think most people who are on Gametap, are also on Steam.
  • Do they need someone to buy them? They sell an actual product and, unlike most startups, could become profitable under the standard model of business.
  • While Gametap is definitely in the crapper, I feel that GOG has a better chance of making a run at it.

Gametap always felt like it was more of an extended rental than an actual service that was worth shelling out a monthly subscription fee over. Sure, it was great for retro-gaming, but most of the games they had in the retro section could be had for free as ROMs for their respective console emulators or MAME. The original & new content was the only thing they really had going for it, which brings me back to the point of why the heck should you pay a subscription fee for content that was on the high end of "mediocre" (at best)?

With GOG, on the other hand, you're buying the actual game. Sure, it's a download, but once you've chunked down your cash the game is yours to keep. It's DRM-free. You can back the installer up to some other media once you've downloaded it. There's no limit on the number of times you can install it or re-download it. Their catalog so far is pretty rockin' and if they can score some of the older Black Isle stuff that Interplay used to publish then they will be well on their way to winning any kind of online distribution race. Yeah, you could make the same argument that you could have most of these games for free if you hunt around, but this is likely to be the best way you can get a legit copy of a great game that is yours to keep and won't evaporate if you stop paying a monthly subscription.
  • GOG just went public beta, so everyone can now access the store. Enjoy.
  • I can't believe this appears just after Home of the Underdogs burned out and I am soon to find myself in a situation with a steady cash flow. This is wonderful.
  • I can't believe this appears just after Home of the Underdogs burned out and I am soon to find myself in a situation with a steady cash flow. This is wonderful.
    Underdogs is dead? Nooos!
    Not dead, just updating less regularly till they find someone else to do it.
  • Not dead, just updating less regularly till they find someone else to do it.
    Unfortunately, it has been that way for many a year.

Ah, Underdogs, it kept me gaming while I was too poor to afford a new computer. I just wish she'd update the front page occasionally. Even once a year would do it.
    Not dead, just updating less regularly till they find someone else to do it.
    No, it actually IS dead. The site went down, but the webmaster was able to bring it back from an archive, but the database got fucked. It still hasn't been fixed, so the links to all the games are dead.

I'd recommend Abandonia, XTC Abandonware, and maybe Classic Gaming Network (http://www.classic-gaming.net/) to fill the void.
  • No, it actuallyISdead. The site went down, but the webmaster was able to bring it back from an archive, but the database got fucked. It still hasn't been fixed, so the links to all the games are dead.

I'd recommend Abandonia, XTC Abandonware, and maybe Classic Gaming Network (http://www.classic-gaming.net/) to fill the void.
    Pardon me. I haven't been on there for a while, all I did was check the links off the front page, I didn't try to get any small games to test it. My apologies.
  • No, it actuallyISdead. The site went down, but the webmaster was able to bring it back from an archive, but the database got fucked. It still hasn't been fixed, so the links to all the games are dead.

Pardon me. I haven't been on there for a while, all I did was check the links off the front page, I didn't try to get any small games to test it. My apologies.
    No worries, I just don't want anyone to have to suffer the letdown I had to deal with the other day when I tried to go and download System Shock 2.
  • I got Operation Flashpoint from GOG the other day. The service was fast, easy, and very convenient. It's rather like Steam in that your account has a list of the games you've bought, and you can download them whenever you want. As for the game, it's realistic, challenging, gigantic, very modable, and interesting on the upside. On the downside it's buggy, kind of ugly, and the voice acting sucks. Overall, I really like it.
  • I will be getting Descent I and II for the weekend. Those games were the business. Also, I had good memories with Redneck Rampage, I wonder how that game will hold up today.
  • I still think steam and Gametap are the way to go, I mean half the games you guys are buying off this site are on Gametap and I only pay like 6.99 or something a month to have access to a constantly growing library.
  • Gametap and I only pay like 6.99
    Did they halve the price? Last I checked it was around 15 dollars or so. I had it for a few months because I got it free and used it a lot, but didn't really want to pay for it. But seven bucks sounds totally worth it.
  • edited October 2008
    sorry it's 9.95 and .99 cents the first month
    Post edited by Cremlian on