This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My house almost burned down this morning

GeoGeo
edited September 2008 in Everything Else
The topic headline is not a joke in the slightest, and my house could have burned down if not for me.

It all started this morning when I was getting ready for school when I smelled some smoky substance and I said "Mom, something smells like smoke" and she said something along the lines "We'll see what it is in a minute" (she was getting dressed at this time). All of a sudden, a neighbor came running up to our door and banged on it, my Mom opened it and she told us that thick black smoke was billowing out of our furnace's smoke stack.

We then realized the horrible truth: Our furnace made a mistake (for lack of better terminology) and was seeping oil that would eventually catch fire. My mom quickly ran down the stairs to reset our furnace, while I ran to the phone to dial the Fire Department. Luckily, our local fire department was only five minutes away from our house (we live right near a school, so um... yeah) and they arrived very quickly. I thought it was strange because not one, not two, but four fire trucks (and an ambulance) arrived. Luckily, we got everybody out safe and sound..... however my cat was not there (we have three cats) so I bolted into the house and found where he was and got him out quickly. The reason why I bolted in was that it was an act of love for my cat and I didn't want him to go to the great beyond yet. By some miracle, I made it out with no ill effects with cat in tow.

When our neighbors came to see what all the ruckus was about, I acted as peacekeeper and told everyone we were alright and that the Fire Department would do their job. After about 45 minutes, the firemen came out and told us that they deactivated the furnace and that everything was all right. He said that the smoke in question was carbon monoxide and that if I had called about 15 minutes too late, we would be in the hospital by now.

While we were waiting for the firemen, we hit upon the idea that someone in our oil company must have made a mistake and caused this to happen . The reason why I make this accusation is that about 3 months ago, the oil company had been seen around our street for some time now just making their rounds (as is with oil companies). I believe that the repairman must have made a mistake while fixing our furnace, and when I turned on the shower this morning this whole incident occurred. As of now, we are looking for a new boiler to replace our old one. I'm still a little shaken up by this, but I'll get over it in a week or so.

Comments

• I am also scared of boilers and hot water heaters. The chance of them exploding like an old busted steam engine is ever present.
  • I am also scared of boilers and hot water heaters. The chance of them exploding like an old busted steam engine is ever present.
    It's funny because before this incident occurred, boilers were something that were just there to me and were not interesting at all. Now, I'm not so sure about that.
  • edited September 2008
    He said that the smoke in question was carbon monoxide
    The smoke was most definitely not CO. There may have been CO along with the smoke, but CO is odorless and colorless.

Still... glad to hear that everything is allright! That's scary stuff. I've always been a little scared by our furnace. Take a peak at the flame someday, and you'll see what I mean.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
    A friend of mine was responsible for burning down a Wendy's down the road from where we live. He worked there when we were in high school, and he parked the snowblower in the back room near the loading door so that they could clear snow off the drive-thru's order block. Fuel vapours wafted underneath the hot water heater, and when someone went to turn the hot water tap, the storeroom exploded. No one was hurt, but the building was destroyed in the blaze after the propane tank outside also ignited a few minutes later
  • My mother burned down her house. She went outside to sweep the driveway and forgot she had started cooking on the stove top.
  • A friend of mine was responsible for burning down a Wendy's down the road from where we live. He worked there when we were in high school, and he parked the snowblower in the back room near the loading door so that they could clear snow off the drive-thru's order block. Fuel vapours wafted underneath the hot water heater, and when someone went to turn the hot water tap, the storeroom exploded. No one was hurt, but the building was destroyed in the blaze after the propane tank outside also ignited a few minutes later
    1) Buy fast food restaurant. I hear Subways are the cheapest and easiest to start.
    2) Get insurance policy.
    3) Have employee park snowblower in bad place.
    4) Profit.
  • 1) Buy fast food restaurant. I hear Subways are the cheapest and easiest to start.
    2) Get insurance policy.
    3) Have employee park snowblower in bad place.
    4) Profit.
    That sounds like a lucrative business model!
  • That sounds like a lucrative business model!
    It's not a business model because it only works once. It's a business opportunity.
  • It's not a business model because it only works once. It's a business opportunity.
    Not if you keep doing it. You could start a franchise; how about "Asplodin' Scott's?"
  • Why, Scott Rubin. Are you suggesting insurance fraud/arson?
  • My PowerBook G4 was having sleep issues during it's last weeks of life. I had it on my wood desk one night and I thought it was off/sleep. But it had stayed on all night, thank god I heard the fans running as I was about to leave the house. I flipped, the scorching hot PowerBook over and there was a charred smoke line coming out of the RAM/Battery slot. The two things I learned is that if you're going to keep a laptop on overnight to do something, like HD back up or renders, to put it up on top of cassette tapes cases.
  • He said that the smoke in question was carbon monoxide
    The smoke was most definitely not CO. There may have been CO along with the smoke, but CO is odorless and colorless.

Still... glad to hear that everything is allright! That's scary stuff. I've always been a little scared by our furnace. Take a peak at the flame someday, and you'll see what I mean.
    I didn't have time to work out that the smoke wasn't carbon monoxide as I was scared shitless!
  • I didn't have time to work out that the smoke wasn't carbon monoxide as I was scared shitless!
    Not blaming you at all. I'm just sad that the fireman failed science class!
    I feel that way about gas grills, too.
    I feel that way about gas grills, too.
    It is kinda scary if you really stop to think about it. It's like when you first learn how a car engine really works; hundreds of controlled explosions every second.
  • I didn't have time to work out that the smoke wasn't carbon monoxide as I was scared shitless!
    Maybe what they were saying wasn't that that particular visible smoke was CO, but that there was CO building up in the house. Thus, if they had waited too long, they would have had troubles.
    edited September 2008
    I didn't have time to work out that the smoke wasn't carbon monoxide as I was scared shitless!
    Maybe what they were saying wasn't that that particular visible smoke was CO, but that there was CO building up in the house. Thus, if they had waited too long, they would have had troubles.
    That's more likely yes. I mean, the Fire department has tools that sniff around and detect CO, it's not like they wet their finger, hold it in the air and can tell you the exact make up of the air around them.

"20.5% Oxygen, 78% nitrogen, hmmm, point zero-two% carbon mono-oxide... No, 0.03% carbon mono-oxide."
    Post edited by ... on
  • That's more likely yes. I mean, the Fire department has tools that sniff around and detect CO, it's not like they wet their finger, hold it in the air and can tell you the exact make up of the air around them.
    Don't know why not, that's how I do it.
  • Oil-fired heating systems are goddamn terrifying. As far as hot water heaters go, I think they are built with failsafes so that if the pressure gets too high, the fuel line is automatically sealed and the pilot goes out. Not positive, though.
  • Oil-fired heating systems are goddamn terrifying. As far as hot water heaters go, I think they are built with failsafes so that if the pressure gets too high, the fuel line is automatically sealed and the pilot goes out. Not positive, though.
    They sound positively wonderful when overpressure makes them fail explosively.
  • Don't know why not, that's how I do it.
    You're Australian. You can't survive without that trick. Fire departments just aren't made up of Australians outside of Australia sadly.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm glad you're alright, Yupa. Dang, that would scare the crap out of me.
    Edit: Wow, didn't realize how old this was. Random thread necromancy...WTF...
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I'm glad you're alright, Yupa. Dang, that would scare the crap out of me.
    Thread necromancy is okay because there is no point in creating a second thread if one exists already. A while ago people were morons about it.
  • I'm glad you're alright, Yupa. Dang, that would scare the crap out of me.
    Thread necromancy is okay because there is no point in creating a second thread if one exists already. A while ago people were morons about it.
    But this didn't seem to be for reviving discussion, just one guy making an old comment. I don't mind, I just wish that I had paid more attention.