This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Who hid the jet plane in my Xbox360?

edited September 2008 in Video Games
That "Alone in the Dark" Xbox360 I won several months ago finally arrived. The first thing I did was waste an hour getting the Netflix/Media Center plugin to work so I can watch Netflix streamed movies on the TV. I then spent the next five minutes trying to get the Xbox360 to sync to two computers. Now my Netflix plugin is broken :(

It ended up being the 20GB model and I just have to say that the fan in this thing is super noisy. Is it supposed to be this loud? Did I get an old one?

Comments

• It's usually pretty loud, but it shouldn't be deafening. Extremetech has two tutorials on how to quiet your 360 (if you don't mind voiding the warranty) here and here, or you could always send it in to the shop (a friend of mine went through 4!).
  • Wait!

There is going to be an update this fall that will allow you to rip games to the HD which should reduce noise, a lot. The other option is try blowing it out with canned air or send it back to get it replaced, a pain? yes.
    The irony is that the Apple Fanboi of FRCF is the one giving info about about Microsoft's Xbox.
  • Even with no disc in the drive the thing is noisy.
  • The irony is that the Apple Fanboi of FRCF is the one giving info about about Microsoft's Xbox.
    It's not that ironic. I'm a proud Apple anti-fanboy and I can still provide info about Apple's ipod line. The 32gb iPod touch is $399. There's your info :D.
  • Does anyone know when the official support for Netflix on the Xbox360 is to go live?
  • Wait!
    God, you are not talking in person to Steve, neither will your post suddenly disappear making it impossible for Steve to read it at a later date.
    There is going to be an update this fall that will allow you to rip games to the HD which should reduce noise, a lot.
    I'll ignore the bullshit that Microsoft is going to put out a patch that will allow you to rip games, but I will say that putting games on the HD instead of the CD player will probably NOT reduce the fanspeed, sure the CD player won't make noise, but that was not the question.
    The other option is try blowing it out with canned air
    Why this? It's a new Xbox, the fan cannot be clogged up with dust or Steve got shafted.
    send it back to get it replaced, a pain?
    This was already suggested dude. No need to repeat and then gloat about it
    The irony is that the Apple Fanboi of FRCF is the one giving info about about Microsoft's Xbox.
    What irony? The non-existant irony? Oh yes, that's true. As for info, eh, you mean tips/suggestions, not information about the Xbox.

As for the loud fan, wasn't that one of the methods Microsoft used to attempt and make the Xbox less likely to go RRoD on you?
  • That "Alone in the Dark" Xbox360 I won several months ago finally arrived. The first thing I did was waste an hour getting the Netflix/Media Center plugin to work so I can watch Netflix streamed movies on the TV. I then spent the next five minutes trying to get the Xbox360 to sync to two computers. Now my Netflix plugin is broken :(

It ended up being the 20GB model and I just have to say that the fan in this thing is super noisy. Is it supposed to be this loud? Did I get an old one?
    I think it is possible that you just got a particularly noisy 360. Do you know anyone else with one that you can listen to for a comparison?

Btw, that is the best thread title ever.