This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Last Injustice!

edited September 2008 in Flamewars
Okay, I'm gonna share something with you guys. This move was an utter disaster. After they loaded up the truck with all out stuff, they jacked up the price and practically held our stuff hostage. Not only that, but they used a leaky truck and some of our stuff was lost or water damaged. On top of all this, they broke several glass table-tops, cut the wireties that held the boxes with my cd and record collections and went through them, and damaged the derailleur on my $300 mountain bike.

But that wasn't good enough for those bastards, no no no... They tumbled our stuff so badly that the hard drive on my file server has been physically damaged!It just clicks and clicks and clicks but isn't properly recognized! It's a fucking 20GB harddrive on a pentium 3 tower and its only reporting to be 538MB! WHAT THE FUCK! As if all of that wasn't enough for them, the had to tack on this one last injustice. Now this wasn't just my file server, this was my whole families record keeping file server. I'm talking pdf's of sensitive documents, bank statments, mortgage bills, and microsoft money files. Now I sealed case and all the ports with a very distinctive packing tape, So I know they didn't steal anything off the drive. And thank fully I made an image of the drive before we left, but still CMON! There's gonna be fucking hell to pay for this!

So tell me, older, wiser ones of this forum, How do I get back at these motherfuckers? We're already putting a stop payment on their check, but what else can we do? I want to make these fuckers squirm!

Comments

• When my family moved, the moving guys actually stole some clothes and Beanie Babies (this was back when they were super popular) from us. Unfortunately, I really don't have any advice to offer besides not paying, though.
  • Call a lawyer.
  • Call a lawyer.
    QFT.
  • Lawyer. Immediately. Document the damages. Document the conversations you had with them prior. Document the trouble with the price.
  • edited September 2008
    Things we've done:
    While packing, we numbered every box and wrote the numbers plus its general contents in a notebook. There are DEFINATELY boxes missing.
    Everything that was damaged, we have pictures of it and the box it was in.
    We have about 3 hours of video of them unloading stuff from the truck.
    Pictures of License plates, Truck numbers, VIN Numbers, and pictures of the whole truck.
    Copies of every version of the contract they gave us.
    Reported to the BBB.
    Everything has been documented to death.

As for Lawyers, that's up to my parents. It's mostly their stuff and they paid for the move so it's up to them. Frankly, though, despite urgings, my dad isn't moving his ass about this.
    All throughout the trip those bastards kept on playing games. They were supposed to be here two days after we arrived but instead it was two weeks.

I'm sorry for that pointless post. I guess it was mostly to vent. I just got so pissed off about that server. That computer was the first PC I ever built, and it was like those ass holes just came and twisted the knife through all this moving crap. Sorry for wasting all of your times.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Movers are not usually worth the expense, in my opinion. I like to be responsible for my own items making it to the new home, packing the truck to my own specifications, and keeping costs low. However, there are just so many times you can ask a large viking friend to help you carry a heavy bedroom set up and down stairs. ^_^
  • We originally were going to go that route, but we did a dry run of seeing who could drive the hour from providence to boston, and it turned out my sister was really uncomfortable driving on highways, so rather than having two drivers in each vehicle (truck and Minivan) we were only left with three, and my parents weren't comfortable with that. In retrospect, however, I probably should have still done it that way. But as they say, hindsight is 20/20.
  • You needed multiple drivers for a ONE HOUR trip? Seriously? I'm sending your whole family to driving school.
    edited September 2008
    They were supposed to be here two days after we arrived but instead it was two weeks.
    . . . Did they say this on paper? If so, why did you guys not call in a lawyer the third day? =_= Sucks to hear that though Sonic, keep nagging your parents to contact a lawyer. TruckersFuckers like that should be put out of business.

I think we always just got some family members or friends to help move, then again, even with a slow truck you can traverse this entire county in half a day.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Always drive your own moving truck. Also, Lawyer....now.
  • edited September 2008
    You needed multiple drivers for a ONE HOUR trip? Seriously? I'm sending your whole family to driving school.
    dude, the one hour trip was a dry run for the WEEK LONG trip from Rhode Island to California. It was a test to see who was comfortable on the highway.
  • dude, the one hour trip was a dry run for the WEEK LONG trip from Rhode Island to California. It was a test to see who was comfortable on the highway.
    You didn't make that very clear.

Either way, why would you need to test to see who is comfortable driving on the highway? Do you just never drive anywhere? If you can't drive on the highway, you shouldn't be driving period.
  • edited September 2008
    We drove on highways, but never such a long trip. Only my Dad has had experience driving long distances everyday, but that was just the hour commute to Boston. My mom is a homemaker and most of the time what we needed was in our town. I had a job in Providence for a while, but that was still only a 15 minute drive.
  • Have you tried sitting down with them (or more optimally their supervisor/owner of the company) and mentioning these points? Maybe they will pay for replacements of the things damaged.
  • The owner was the one twisting the thumbscrews, so to speak.