This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iTunes 8

edited September 2008 in Technology
Has anyone else gotten this upgrade yet? I am quite enjoying the new view, it helps keep things a bit more organized. The Genius, on the other hand, is quite the ingenious bit of advertising as it just gives you advice on what else to buy from iTunes. The Genius playlist maker seems interesting, as you pick a song and it grabs other songs similar to it in your library, but I haven't been able to use it too much yet.

Any other thoughts?

Comments

• I'm downloading it right now. I'll update when I install and use it.

I was wondering though, did it try to push safari with anyone else? I've never noticed it before, but this time, I had to uncheck Safari, and I'm on a Windows XP machine.
  • Genius has a hard time competing with things like last.fm or pandora. I'm mostly just going to ignore it.

The new view is pretty good for my music section, but not so much for the other sections.

It's better than the previous iTunes, at least a little bit, but is it really that big of a change that they felt they could change the number to 8? To change the big number, shouldn't there be a lot more new features besides a view and a suggestion maker?
  • I was wondering though, did it try to push safari with anyone else? I've never noticed it before, but this time, I had to uncheck Safari, and I'm on a Windows XP machine.
    Yeah, it has. On the upgrade itself, I like it, but I agree with Scott. I probably won't be using the new view that much, even less Genius, so I'll probably be using it like before.
  • Meh. This added trivial things, none of which are useful to me. For quite a lot of my music, they don't have cover art, so the music library looks bad. My podcasts did not update with the picture from the iTunes store, and that's kinda stupid. Also, I can't try out the genius feature without making an iTunes store account, and as I never plan to buy anything from there, it's useless. I figured I might as well make one anyway though, only to find that they want me to put in a credit card to verify. Too much hassle to try out a feature I probably don't want to use anyway.

Overall, I agree with Scott in that this is not worth calling a new version.
  • The new podcast section is dick.
  • I figured I might as well make one anyway though, only to find that they want me to put in a credit card to verify.
    You can get an account without a credit card.
    The new podcast section is dick.
    That's just because it's in grid view by default. You can switch it back.
  • Oh. Now I feel stupid. I had just downloaded it and was pretty pissed off. All better.
  • First off, I do not yet have iTunes 8, don't care for it. I do have a question, is this 'new' view a 100x100 image of the album artwork with the songs in said album listed next to it? The same that Windows Media Player had, oh I don't know, a year or two ago?
    It's better than the previous iTunes, at least a little bit, but is it really that big of a change that they felt they could change the number to 8? To change the big number, shouldn't there be a lot more new features besides a view and a suggestion maker?
    The one word that described Apple best is 'marketing'. Everyone in the world pretty much knows that a major version update goes with great progress. Apply Apple, who uses this knowledge and abuses it into making people upgrade faster and think that one, "Oh iTunes 8 is so much more better, see what I can do now.". Insert Genius demo. And secondly, people will think Apple is developing faster than the competition. And of course they have to catch up with WMP's version number, that being 11 last time I checked.
  • No, iTunes has also had that view for just as long. This new view is a grid of just the album arts, that you can double click to go to a view of all the tracks on that album. It seems similar to coverflow in a way but more useful... Except for podcasts.
    edited September 2008
    No, iTunes has also had that view for just as long. This new view is a grid of just the album arts, that you can double click to go to a view of all the tracks on that album. It seems similar to coverflow in a way but more useful... Except for podcasts.
    Ah. That would indeed look nice, if one has all the proper artwork and ID3 tags. It is however nothing innovative or worthy of anything more than a .1 version update. :\ Silly Apple marketers.

Edit, though why does it not that useful for podcasts? Don't all podcasts on iTunes have an album artwork thingy?
    Post edited by ... on
  • There's only album art with podcasts if there is a downloaded episode with said artwork. I delete podcasts after listening (otherwise i'd have no space left on my macbook) so all the ones with no episodes have no artwork. Also, there are more podcasts than the one's in iTunes (also, not everyone has an account) and some podcasts seem to have no artwork anyway. For example, Fast Karate.

But the "you can't see available episodes that aren't downloaded" thing is the deal breaker for me. My internet is such that I can't just set it to automatic download, so I need to see what's available.