This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Home Entertainment/Computer question please!

edited September 2008 in Technology
X3 First thing I put up as a new thread after I get back is a techno thread, o' course.

Anyhoo, I have an HD computer monitor that has the plug in for things like game consoles but they're the HD version (red blue and green) so when I plug older or non-HD things in (like my SNES, PS2, etc) it's black and white, no sound, and crappy beyond belief. I've switched the cables around and such, but nothing changes. Is there a converter or something of the sort to change that? I really like this thing, and I'm hoping to make it become my computer monitor/TV in the future.

Comments

• Anyhoo, I have an HD computer monitor that has the plug in for things like game consoles but they're the HD version (red blue and green) so when I plug older or non-HD things in (like my SNES, PS2, etc) it's black and white, no sound, and crappy beyond belief. I've switched the cables around and such, but nothing changes. Is there a converter or something of the sort to change that? I really like this thing, and I'm hoping to make it become my computer monitor/TV in the future.
    I'm surprised it works at all.

The cables that come out of your NES, SNES, PS2, etc. are RCA cables. They are yellow, red, and white. The yellow has video, the red and white have stereo sound. The red, blue, and green holes are component video. It's called component video because you have three separate wires for the three components of video. Audio is separate from component video.

Converting RCA to component is not something that can be done with a simple adapter. You need actual video processing to happen. If you want to plug an NES or such into your computer, you're going to need a TV tuner such as this. I'm not recommending for or against that particular model, just showing you. That product takes the yellow part of RCA (the video) and sends it to your computer over USB. You need to take the red and white audio and put them into your sound card separately.

Remember this when setting up home audio/video equipment. If it doesn't match perfectly, you're putting it in the wrong place.
  • Oh wow, okay. X3 I'll look for that then. I thought that it was the same as before, just higher quality. Weird shite.
  • If your TV has a VGA port spare you can get RCA to VGA switches pretty cheap.
  • If you take a picture, or post a diagram, of all the inputs on the screen, and then tell us everything you want to connect at the same time, I'll tell you how to do it.
  • This is a diagram of it: image

I have no idea what any of that is. XD And it's a computer monitor first and foremost.
  • I have no idea what any of that is. XD And it's a computer monitor first and foremost.
    HDMI is what most HD things use nowadays. It is a magical HD cable that does HD video and audio, all in one cable.

DVI is what modern computers use. That blue cable you have going to your computer is a VGA cable, that's what old computers used. DVI is much better. If your computer has a DVI output, you should get a DVI cable and use that to connect to the monitor. If your computer doesn't have a DVI output, that's a sad computer. The "HD plugs" are component video, as I said.

The audio output is so that if you have audio coming in through the HDMI, you can send that audio to some external speakers.

I suggest you get your computer connected via DVI. Then if you want to connect old RCA devices to the screen, connect them to an RCA switcher box. Then connect that switcher box to an RCA to VGA converter box. Then have that box go in the VGA input.
  • Okay. <3 Hurrah, entertainment systems for the win.
  • edited September 2008
    I'm planning some crappy home entertainment system from old PC parts. The downside is that I'll have to use a pirated version of Linux windows or just get a used mac. I hook my mac up to the tv to play DDR.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • edited September 2008
    pirated version of linux
    ...HUH?

[Edit] Oh, haha.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I hook my mac up to the tv to play DDR.
    Back in high school I built a Stepmania machine and a cabinet to load it in for the students' council to use at lunchtime and in PE classes. It looked pretty slick; I even bought replacement switches and faceplates for a DDR Extreme machine and used them on the cabinet. I'll see if I can dig up some photos when I get home.