This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

You can't keep me down Ike!

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
So power has been out since Ike hit, and all indications are that it will not be back till next week. However the phone company was nice enough to drop generators off at every phone box without power, so DSL came back today. Hurray for my UPS :)

Now if only I could wire all the extra batteries I have from my job into this thing to keep it on longer...

Comments

• Ohio?

Yeah we were out for a few days. Most of the trouble came from AEP sending thier crews to texas to help out and they were maxed. I believe were down to 28,000 or so from 300,000+ out from a couple days ago so they are making good progress. If you having troble keeping food get a block of dry ice and stick it in the bottom of the frige and it will keep food for 24hrs. We did that before we got a generator from my grandparents too keep the frige and freezer going.
  • Houston, so power has been out since Friday night.
    Why didn't you leave?
  • When the power went out here me, my dad, and my little brother entertained ourselves by starting Burning Wheel characters by candlelight.
    Yeah my uncle lives in Huston on the west side and said it could be a week to four weeks before they got to him. Hes worried because he left some papers on his desk in Galveston.
    Yeah my uncle lives in Huston on the west side and said it could be a week to four weeks before they got to him. Hes worried because he left some papers on his desk in Galveston.
    Probably not much hope for the papers, but I'm glad that he's okay.

My parents got their power back on Tuesday, but they said that most of the surrounding areas are still out, along with the traffic lights. Mom was telling me that going grocery shopping in a store with the power out was one of the creepiest things she'd ever done.
  • I got mine back on Tuesday as well.

The traffic lights being out is a real problem. It takes 4 times as long to for me to get anywhere in this city.