This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Skip Beat

edited September 2008 in Anime
Skip Beat is a shoujo manga that will be released as an anime on October 5. The manga tends to be in the top five monthly sales listings when the compilations come out in Japan. The anime will be simul-cast in Japan and Taiwan; and likely streamed on online via sites like Crunchyroll. In January of 2009, a live action version will come out in Korea or Taiwan. Subtitlers have been promising to work on this show since the day it was announced. They are not playing around with this.

Minor Spoilers to Convince you to Watch!: (The story is about a girl who is used by her childhood friend in his quest for fame. This guy has moved to Tokyo in place of High School to try to become a singing idol; he asked that the heroine, Kyoko, come with him. Her familial situation leaves a lot to be desired and she is enamored of him, so she accepts. She sacrifices her own education and works multiple jobs to aid his career goals, only to find out that he is simply using her straight from the horses mouth. She swears revenge, proclaiming that she will beat him at his own game - to become the better star.

Heartbroken, she sets off to task, sealing off her heart to anyone so that she will not get hurt again, to the point that comedic evil demons literally will protect her. However, how can an actress who cannot love perform a multitude of roles? Along the way, her plans of revenge mutate as she truly finds herself enjoying being an actress.

If you have ever seen Glass Mask (which you should, if you haven't), there are a few similar threads. However, Kyoko is a far stronger character in a lot of ways and will not sacrifice her principles and be weak-willed in ways that Maya all-to-frequently does. Because of her heartbreak (more specifically trust in other people), this becomes a very interesting climb. This is a story that defies a lot of standard shoujo scenarios.
)

Director: Kiyoko Sayama (Did Storyboarding and/or Directing on: Princess Tutu; Now and Then, Here and There; Saber Marionette J; 3 x 3 Eyes OAV; and both of the recent Vampire Knight anime: Nuff said.)
Studio: Hal Film Maker

Main Cast: (You crazy Gurren Lagann guys should like the cast!)
Kyoko: Marina Inoue
Ren: Katsuyuki Konishi
Shou: Mamoru Miyano
Kanae: Risa Hayamizu
Yashiro: Masahito Kawanago, Ren's Manager (and comedic-relief)

And now...the trailer!

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Yay! I managed to catch the raw version on youtube. Happily, the first episode stayed very true to the manga with slight humorous embellishment; (they added a Naga/Kodachi laugh, should you be sufficiently old school enough to understand what that is). The first episode is the main trip to the department of exposition, but it ends on the appropriate point and the story is paced fairly well.

I expect that a subtitled version will be out in a few days as there are some characters that pop up in odd places that will be hard to sub. The jury is still out on the OP, but the ending theme is an interesting J-Rap song.

This is on par or better than Toradora (which I watched earlier this afternoon). Palmtop Tiger!
    Post edited by Your Mom on
    edited October 2008
    The big new anime thread'll never get big this way. :p

As for this show, the premise doesn't really excite me sadly. But does Your Mom understand Japanese?
    Post edited by ... on
  • The big new anime thread'll never get big this way. :p
    Smaller, more concise threads work better for me.
  • As for this how, the premise doesn't really excite me sadly. But does Your Mom understand Japanese?
    No, but she has read the manga and she seems to really like it.

• As for this how, the premise doesn't really excite me sadly. But does Your Mom understand Japanese?
    this how?
  • this how?
    this show?

It sounds interesting, but more something that I'll send on to a friend of mine. It sounds a bit similar to some original characters from her sketchpad.
  • This show has been on my to watch list for a long time. Also my to read list ,it's slightly after Nana, pure shoujo is always a treat to watch because it mainly focuses on character development above anything else.
  • this how?
    SHOW! Show. Darnit, why do I keep missing those after rereading at 2 AM. You know what, I blame my keyboard, it's old, so it can take the blame.
    No, but she has read the manga and she seems to really like it.
    Thought so, but confirmation was needed. Your Mom's a very big Skip Beat fangirl I see. :p
    This show has been on my to watch list for a long time. Also my to read list ,it's slightly after Nana, pure shoujo is always a treat to watch because it mainly focuses on character development above anything else.
    This be true, as far as I have experienced. But I have still to watch Nana, so Skip Beat'll have to wait for some time.