This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Watch your grammar, guys

13»

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Both of you, explain. I'm not fixing or learning anything from just being told to do x, but also by being explained why it's supposed to be x.
    OK, let me break this down.

You said:
    You should read more of the thread, you had it correct.
    What we have here is a sentence containing two independent but related thoughts. Each can stand on its own; it's correct to say "You should read more of the thread" and "You had it correct" as two separate sentences. A comma is used to separate items in a list, to denote a break before a direct quote, or to precede a conjunction when joining separate thoughts. Joining those two sentences by comma alone is not sufficient; if you want to go the comma route, you also need to use a conjunction. Essentially, a comma denotes a pause, but if the pause exists as a segue to another thought, you need a bit more to complete the joining.

You can separate the two thoughts using a period, but that creates short, choppy sentences. The "comma/conjunction" route is the most frequently used, but it doesn't always make grammatical sense to do that. Can you think of a conjunction that could logically join "You should read more of the thread" and "you had it correct?" You could maybe say "...thread, as you had...," but I always find that to be slightly awkward. Your final option in such a case is to use a semicolon; this single beautiful punctuation mark serves to denote two very separate but still related thoughts.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Both of you, explain. I'm not fixing or learning anything from just being told to do x, but also by being explained why it's supposed to be x.
    Blah blah blah GRAMMAR blah.
    Honestly, that was way more interesting than I thought it would be. I really should read more about grammar.
  • edited September 2008
    Using "You should read more of the thread, as you would find that you had it correct." would have worked. However, it would have been a lot more effort than a semicolon, with far less sexiness.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Using "You should read more of the thread, as you would find that you had it correct," would have worked. However, it would have been a lot more effort than a semicolon, with far less sexiness.
    Put your commas and periods in your quotations as if they were outside of them. As it stands, you have ended the sentence after "'worked.'" It is counter-intuitive, I know, but it's the rule.
  • Oops.
    Thanks, speckospock.
  • Style counts too, kids. Some of you write like seven-year-olds: technically correct, but poorly put together. Bad grammar can be overlooked for good style or good ideas. The problem really is that there's a strong correlation between bad grammar and useless, uninteresting posts.
  • Which is why I have changed my mind over posting many times; I worry that I'll post something stupid. That's a good thing though...
  • Which is why I have changed my mind over posting many times; I worry that I'll post something stupid. That's a good thing though...
    I can't tell you the number of times I've written out a post, looked it over, said "Fuck it", and clicked "Back to Discussions".
  • I can't tell you the number of times I've written out a post, looked it over, said "Fuck it", and clicked "Back to Discussions".
    I can't tell you the number of times I've written out a post, looked it over, said "Fuck it", and clicked "Back to Discussions".
    It's so close, such an easy escape. Yet, I don't use it enough in my opinion.
  • edited September 2008
    I do this all the time.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I'm usually able to figure out beforehand if I have anything interesting to say, which limits frustration. But increases lurking.
  • Man, how many people are on probation now?
  • As many as need be. Beating will continue until morale improves.
    Nine people. These are the unlucky/stupid ones:
    • Anubis
    • brianl
    • gedavids
    • Jay
    • laik
    • masterting
    • Mosquitoboy
    • sibnova
    • unedumacated
    Nine people. These are the unlucky/stupid ones:
    • Anubis
    • brianl
    • gedavids
    • Jay
    • laik
    • masterting
    • Mosquitoboy
    • sibnova
    • unedumacated
    Wait a second.... You have a list?
  • I've always wondered what those other "roles" were for. Get A Job?
  • "Get a Job" was put in just for me. It is essentially a temporary ban on posting that Scrym can enact when I am reading the forums too much instead of getting my work done before a deadline.
    edited September 2008
    Wait a second.... You have a list?
    Yes, and I'm updating it as I see new people with the banner. And perhaps remove them if the banner is removed, but that's subject to opinion. >:3 No of course not, I just used the advanced search and poked through the roles. Some are completely unused, and now I know what the "Get a Job" group is. Does it also revoke your ability to see posts Gomily?
    Post edited by ... on
  • No, it just means that I can't post, even if I sign in. It's a very good way to get me to get lost from the forums if necessary.
  • Does it also revoke your ability to see posts Gomily?
    Remember, anyone on the internet can see regular posts. The only things that could possibly get blocked are whispers and the VIP category.
  • Does it also revoke your ability to see posts Gomily?
    Remember, anyone on the internet can see regular posts. The only things that could possibly get blocked are whispers and the VIP category.
    I ask because it's possible (on some forums) to prevent a person from seeing anything when logged in, whilst guests can see the open parts of the board. I thought that, perhaps, the "Get a Job" role hides everything on the forum as to get Gomily to just not bother reading the forums. As it stands Gomily can still waste her time just reading the forums, though unable to respond and thus might grow angry about our stupid antics.
  • See, if I can't post, it's frustrating, so I end up going away. It's like being banned.