This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Academic/Intelligent Films

Comments

• edited October 2008
    No Country for Old Men and Michael Clayton were my favorite films of 2007. There's always going to be visionary writer or director out there who has the drive to make it big. They just don't come along as often as we'd like.
    No Country for Old Men was my fave of 07 as well. I like the endings when the whole audience is like Dwaa? It remained as one of my favorites. Really good movies are great and all, but I love watching bad ones with friends for the lulz. This past weekend I watched Warriors of Virtue with someone. Trash.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited October 2008
    Sophie's world is kind of strange. Though the plot is in theory coherent, all the jumping through time and the abstract philosophical concepts make it a pretty hard to follow what's going on. I guess it really is best described as "wisps of ideas and plot".

The movie is definitely worth watching. Even if you don't understand a thing you're seeing you'll still feel great just watching it. ^^

EDIT: This movie was never dubbed into English.. Oh well, I'd still recommend you read the book.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • Sophie's world is kind of strange. Though the plot is in theory coherent, all the jumping through time and the abstract philosophical concepts make it a pretty hard to follow what's going on. I guess it really is best described as "wisps of ideas and plot".

The movie is definitely worth watching. Even if you don't understand a thing you're seeing you'll still feel great just watching it. ^^

EDIT: This movie was never dubbed into English.. Oh well, I'd still recommend you readthe book.
    What I'm asking is if it's a Donnie Darko or an Eraserhead. With the former, on a second viewing, everything became obvious. If you didn't understand the time travel concept at first, it was very simple to understand once you could concentrate on all the indirect clues instead of the direct plot. Eraserhead is an art film that people have assigned their own meanings to.

Foreign live action films dubbed into English are unbearable. The lip movements are always miles off. I'd much prefer watching the subtitled version.
  • edited October 2008
    Neither really. No matter how often you watch the movie it's stall hard to grasp and understand. I watched the movie in 2000 and only have very little memory of it, but I remember it being similar to the book. And the book was really hard to understand..

Just watch it, it's definitely worth your time.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • I'm actually taking a film study class now, so maybe I can offer some insight.

We're currently studying the progression of noir between its beginning and its more recent ventures. The Maltese Falcon and LA Confidential are excellent studies in noir technique and its evolution.

The Beatles' Hard Day's Night might not seem like anything special, but it actually spurred the creation of one of the most important cinematic techniques today: the jump cut. If it weren't for Hard Day's Night, you wouldn't have any of the Bourne movies. Also, it's a fine homage to the classic Marx Brothers films.

Finally, Westerns are significantly overlooked in their importance to the development of cinema. I recommend the Dollars trilogy, Django, Unforgiven, and Alejandro Jodorowski's cult classic El Topo. Give them a watch, and think about how their themes connect to other movies you've seen.

I also have a lot to offer on cult classic and midnight movies, but that's a different subject for a different thread.
  • Didn't There Will Be Blood come out in '07 as well?

Also, I thought Into the Wild was a fantastic movie.
  • All you guys who listed off movies missed my point. Would you put TMNT, Live Free or Die Hard, Transformers, or Shoot 'Em Up in the same category as A Clockwork Orange?
    Harry Potter 5? Seriously? I'm not saying you shouldn't be entertained, but it's not like these movies have lasting power, a strong message, or were revolutionary and groundbreaking.
  • No one missed your point, the thread just got a bit derailed.
  • edited October 2008
    Didn't There Will Be Blood come out in '07 as well?
    I loved that film. "I'm finished."
    That had a strong message I thought.
    Post edited by Blarp on
  • There's always going to be visionary writer or director out there who has the drive to make it big. They just don't come along as often as we'd like.
    That is so true, I hope that you share my dream which is hoping that visionary directors came around often.
  • Intelligent movies I liked, off the top of my head:
    The Fountain
    Legend of Suram Fortress
  • The Fountain
    Man, I really liked that movie. A lot of people I know panned it, but I always thought it was fantastic.

Has anyone else seen Bug? I saw it and enjoyed it quite a bit, but it seems to be disliked by a great many people. Any thoughts?
  • I can't believe that none of you have mentioned Brazil?!
  • edited October 2008
    I can't believe that none of you have mentionedBrazil?!
    I love that movie so much. Also, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2008
    I can't believe that none of you have mentionedBrazil?!
    I love that movie so much. Also, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.
    We're all in it together kid.
    EDIT: By the way, my Sci-Fi Teacher is making us watch it in class so as to tie it in to our reading of 1984. If you've read the book, you'll know exactly why I said that. Apparently, he is a huge fan of the movie and that is proven by how, never before have I heard a teacher make genuine laughter at a movie he's seen 16 times. That, coupled with the fact that he's one of the most charismatic and coolest teachers I've ever had the privilege to have my mind melded by, gives me deep respect for him.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • This thread is a pain in my cinema studies bone. Oy Gevalt. From Academia to Airplane in a handful of posts.
    Also:
    2007- Black Snake Moan, The Number 23, 300, Grindhouse, Ratatouille, Dan in Real Life, Juno, The Orphanage, Goya's Ghost, to name a few.
    Oh, I forgot 300. That's one. The others you listed all suck.
    I say this for personal reasons but...RATATOUILLE DOES NOT SUCK! I think it belongs among some of the great food movies like Babette's Feast. It is a very well put together film, and the critics agree with me.
  • Ratatouille sucks AND blows.
  • Why? Did you see it? What's not to like?
  • Ratatouillesucks AND blows.
    Please elaborate.
    Please elaborate.
    Why? Did you see it? What's not to like?
    It's just a personal opinion thing. The animation itself was good, but I didn't care about the characters and I found the story dull and predictable. The Incredibles had a predictable story, but I cared so much about the characters I was willing to overlook the predictability. The only character in Ratatouille that interested me even in the slightest was that chef who could kill a man with his thumb.
  • It's just a personal opinion thing.
    Not enjoying it is one thing, and you're free to have that opinion. But, to say that it sucks, well, that's a poor opinion in my eyes, since the film clearly has a great deal of merit. Garfield sucks. ^_~
  • edited October 2008
    It's just a personal opinion thing.
    Not enjoying it is one thing, and you're free to have that opinion. But, to say that it sucks, well, that's a poor opinion in my eyes, since the film clearly has a great deal of merit.Garfieldsucks. ^_~
    Saying that it "sucks" was mostly meant to tease . . . in a friendly way.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I thought I was the only one who didn't like Ratatouille.
    Not enjoying it is one thing, and you're free to have that opinion. But, to say that it sucks, well, that's a poor opinion in my eyes, since the film clearly has a great deal of merit.Garfieldsucks. ^_~
    Well then Joe.... can you give us your own personal criteria for words that people could misconstrue (at least in your mind) to definitions most commonly associated with them?
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2008
    From Academia to Airplane in a handful of posts.
    I would argue that Airplane!! is an intelligent film, because most people of my generation who see movies such as Meet the Spartans or Scary Movie 55 (to be honest I don't care what number they are up to because the series is so tired and dragged out) have either never had the chance to experience or forgot what a real parody film is. You made a similar point that could be relevantly applied to this discussion when you were on Origins Week: Anime. Quote "Anything that comes yesterday they (new generation of anime fans) hate" unquote.
    Post edited by Geo on
    Well then Joe.... can you give us your own personal criteria for words that people could misconstrue (at least in your mind) to definitions most commonly associated with them?
    What?
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2008
    It's just a personal opinion thing.
    What?
    What I'm trying to say can be summed up in the following "equation". Common definition of the word "suck" = just flat our horrible and not worth two shits to think about. Joe's version of sucks =
    to tease . . . in a friendly way.
    Now do you see what I mean?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited October 2008
    What I'm trying to say can be summed up in the following "equation". Common definition of the word "suck" = just flat our horrible and not worth two shits to think about. Joe's version of sucks = to tease . . . in a friendly way. Now do you see what I mean?
    Not really. I mean, I understand since you don't know me very well, but I'd think that Emily would know that I was not really being serious; especially since I used the phrase "sucks AND blows". I think that was a big tip that it was supposed to be a joke.

If not, no harm done. I just didn't telegraph the intended humor well enough.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • What I'm trying to say can be summed up in the following "equation". Common definition of the word "suck" = just flat our horrible and not worth two shits to think about. Joe's version of sucks = to tease . . . in a friendly way. Now do you see what I mean?
    Not really. I mean, I understand since you don't know me very well, but I'd think that Emily would know that I was not really being serious; especially since I used the phrase "sucks AND blows". I think that was a big tip that it was supposed to be a joke.

If not, no harm done. I just didn't telegraph the intended humor well enough.
    Oh okay, then it's cool. To each his own.
    No, I believe that was Mega-Maid from Spaceballs.

/humor