This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Punch Out!!

edited October 2008 in Video Games
Here's your screenshot-y goodness. Seems Little Mac is back in the protagonist's seat.

Comments

• Holy fucking shit! This is fucking awesome man! It only took 15 years, but they finally did it.
  • We'll see if it's good. My worry is that they will rely on waggle. Do they understand what made Punch Out! popular in the first place? Or will this be another WarioWare debacle?
  • We'll see if it's good. My worry is that they will rely on waggle. Do they understand what made Punch Out! popular in the first place? Or will this be another WarioWare debacle?
    Well, if they're able to pull off Wario Land Shake It! right...then I have faith that they can pull this off as well.
  • I cannot express how happy I am about this. If they can pull off a new Punch-Out!! that's just as fun as the original game...
  • *crosses fingers* Please use wii balance board to dodge.
  • *crosses fingers* Please DONT UNDERY ANY CIRCUMSTANCE use wii balance board to dodge.
  • If it uses the Wii Balance Board, I am straight-up not getting it unless you can choose not to use it. I hate being forced to buy peripherals for one game and one game only.
  • All they need to do is improve graphics, add the SNES quick KO punches, the ability to choose where to throw the KO punches (head or body), leave the stamina and the stars (no KO bar to fill) and make all the fighters actually BOX (not like the fiascoes in the SNES version). No gimmicks, just a plain, simple yet challenging boxing game.
  • I think they'll spin this like they did with Tetris DS. There will most likely be a bunch of different gameplay modes to pull in all audiences: a classic mode where you hold the Wiimote sideways/use the classic controller, a waggle mode that uses gestures and probably even the balance board, time trial modes, etc. Capcom and other companies' recent works on Virtual Console and XBLA are proving that retro sells. I doubt Nintendo would miss out on an opportunity to market more products to more people.
  • JayJay
    edited October 2008
    *crosses fingers* Please DONT UNDERY ANY CIRCUMSTANCE use wii balance board to dodge.
    Hay Hay, Im not saying make it required. That would suck. I want it as an option. A boxing game using shifting weight to determine where you’re moving would be interesting and I think could be made well. I would want them to also have a manual movement option of course; don’t always want to be dogging and weaving. I don’t use my Wii to play traditional games with fine polished graphics and defined genres. I use it to get unique experience I haven’t had before. If there is a boxing game on the Wii I want it to at least have the option to exploit the Wii’s unique advantages.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • *crosses fingers* Please DONT UNDERY ANY CIRCUMSTANCE use wii balance board to dodge.
    Hay Hay, Im not saying make it required. That would suck. I want it as an option. A boxing game using shifting weight to determine where you’re moving would be interesting and I think could be made well. I would want them to also have a manual movement option of course; don’t always want to be dogging and weaving. I don’t use my Wii to play traditional games with fine polished graphics and defined genres. I use it to get unique experience I haven’t had before. If there is a boxing game on the Wii I want it to at least have the option to exploit the Wii’s unique advantages.
    You mean like those motion sensing Konami arcade games a few years back?

All I can say is this, "Wiimote sideways, then I'll be happy."
  • edited May 2009
    The game came out, and since I couldn't find a topic for the GeekNights episode about Punch-Out!!, this will do.

This game is everything I thought it was going to be, and a little more. I'm especially impressed with how they managed to take Aran Ryan, one of the blandest characters from Super Punch-Out!!, and characterize the crap out of him so that he's actually someone worth remembering.

Right now I'm working on Bald Bull. I never was that good when it came to timing the counter for his charge.

Also, it can use the Wii Balance Board to dodge, but it's entirely optional- and best ignored, since that just overcomplicates things. You could just play it like the NES Punch-Out!! on the Virtual Console and be fine and dandy, but I'm having the most fun with the Wiimote and Nunchuck configuration. The only problem is that shaking the Wiimote to recover gets a little tiring.
    Post edited by Diddgery on
  • edited May 2009
    Right now I'm working on Bald Bull. I never was that good when it came to timing the counter for his charge
    I have never, in all my life, beaten Bald Bull. A few weeks ago I was at a party where they had a NES, and I got up to Bald Bull and blew it. I let everyone down. It's always the goddamn charge.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I have the same problem. Bald Bull is almost impossible for me to beat. I usually end up just taking the brunt of his charges and hoping he doesn't land another punch on me.
    But now Soda Popinski is givin' me trouble. Fail.
  • Bald Bull is easy once you get the rhythm down, but I've never beaten Mr. Sandman.
  • I can get to the second Don Flamenco. I think I beat him once. I forget who is after that.